NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A GREAT DAY


A GREAT DAY
I love my daughter.  She is a beautiful young lady.  She is intelligent.  She is a fine writer when she decides to blog.  She does seem to view the world with a different set of lenses than her cranky Old Man.  The estrogen crank tends to see the brighter side of life; she puts a nice spin on events which she often sees through rose colored glasses.  All of this is just a set up to a tale of a day skiing two years ago.

The youngest crank (Spence) visited from Massachusetts.  We drove to the home of the Pennsylvania crank (Matt), and met up with the North Carolina crank (Mary Beth).   The Pa. crank was able to score free ski passes from a resort manager contact.  The entire Cranky clan, with the exception of the California crank (Mike) made a trip to the nearby Pocono Mountain slope.

The plan was for all the cranks and myself to go skiing, along with my oldest grandson.   The remaining four Crankettes would go tubing with my DIL and Mrs. Cranky. 

That was the plan.

Turns out the free passes were not honored at the tubing park.  Matt  did not want to shell out the expense for his two toddlers as there was an excellent chance that they were too young and would have been afraid.  He and DIL left with their two Crankettes.

Mary Beth took the oldest Crankette (Tommy) to rent skis,  Spencer  and I went skiing, expecting to meet up later with MB.  Mrs. Cranky took the final two Crankettes tubing.

Renting the skis took over an hour and we never did meet up with MB and Tommy.  It was Tommy’s first day skiing and Grandpa Joe (Cranky Old Man) was worried as I thought he would need my help.  Assisting a new skier can be difficult especially for a smallish lady (that would be MB.)  I searched and searched for the two wayward skiers.  In addition to being worried about not helping, and afraid that MB and Tommy would be miserable, I was having trouble skiing with my arthritic hip, and Spencer was bored constantly having to wait for me.

Meanwhile, back at the tube area, Mrs. Cranky was entertaining two children that she really did not even know very well.  She was worried that if anyone got hurt she would feel awful.  She was nervous.  Mrs. Cranky also hates the cold.  She hates the snow.  Tubing is in the cold on the snow.  She was miserable being responsible for two children while enduring the cold and the snow.

Spencer and I quit skiing, hoping to meet MB and Tommy at the bottom of the hill.  We sat for an hour.  We tried to make cell calls to everyone, but there was no service on the mountain.

After several hours we finally all met up, ate some lunch, and headed home.

Matt and DIL were disappointed to miss out on tubing and skiing.  Spencer was disappointed having only skied a few runs and waiting most of the time on a near cripple (me.)  Mrs. Cranky was cold, tired and a bit miserable having spent the morning doing three things she does not like, child watching in the cold in the snow.  On the way home, MB got lost and did not get back to Matt's for an hour after everyone else.  I of course was worried that something bad had happened.

I entered Matt’s house and immediately demanded a large glass of wine (frig the wagon, I needed a lift.)  I was tired, sore, and exhausted from worrying about everyone.  Mrs. Cranky was tired sore and miserable.

MB and family finally found their way back to Matt's.  She was smiling and exhilarated.

“The snow was great!  Tommy did really great after just a little bit!  We can’t ski like this in NC.  Halley and Graham had a blast tubing.”   

And then came the comment that had me questioning any similarity in our DNA.

“ALL IN ALL, I THINK IT WAS A GREAT DAY!”

 Like I said, I love my daughter; I only wish I could get a prescription to the same lenses she uses to view the world.

Several years later, and in retrospect, the Crankettes had a good time so I guess it was a pretty good day.

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like your daughter finds the positive in everything :) those people are so good to have in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to look on the bright side at everything that went right. There are always two views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love her attitude indeed! That will take her far in life (if it hasn't already)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sunny personality!!! If only they could bottle the stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sunny personality!!! If only they could bottle the stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems to me, at your age, you should be one happy, happy, happy guy. You wake up in the morning, look around, and see the dirt below you and not over you. Shouldn't that qualify as a good day? (And I'm not far behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure wish my son had some of those lenses also. I'm more positive than he is and he has a tendency to be "cranky".

    ReplyDelete
  8. She does it just to spite you. ;) I was just about to ask where it is that she occasionally decides to blog but I see the link right off to my right as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i could sense your stress all the way through this - i could relate to that feeling better than the 'free and exhilarating' experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what it is. She doesn't have an arthritic hip and she likes the cold and the snow. That's it.

    Have a fabulous day Cranky. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. You stayed true to your self-proclaimed title as a cranky old man. But it's true that kids see things differently than we do. I've never been on skis but it looks like fun, although I'd be worried about stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great day for the ex-cranks. The ones who no longer live in NJ. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww....I think I just love MB!
    But that would be me, too - like you, unable to have fun because of worry over what the young uns were doing out of my sight. I think we just might have a control issue going on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My two sons & I wear those lenses all the time--my daughter needs a prescription for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And she never caught your crankiness? Hum. Guess some things aren't hereditary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like skiing when it is 32 degrees. If deviates from that, I'm cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We all need those lenses sometimes. Be glad someone had fun that day is how i would take it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess that apple rolled a little farther from the tree...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every family has to have at least one Little Miss Cheerful to spread the sunshine around.

    ReplyDelete