NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Lamps

Lamps
OK, once again I got nothing so I’ll just pick a topic and see where it goes.  As I made this decision I saw a lamp on Facebook, so that is the topic.  Pretty exciting, right?
Lamp…lamp…hmmm, I don’t much use lamps anymore.  We used to have lamps on end tables in the living room growing up, and I would use them lamp to read by.  In my bedroom, there was a desk lamp for doing homework, or avoiding doing homework.  In our den, now called a family room, there was one of those standing lamp things with a table attached for holding drinks and stuff.
Lots of lamps back in the day.
Today, not so much.  We have a couple of table lamps in our living room, but we almost never use that room.  It should be called the “No one lives here room” because it is never used…it does stay clean and looks nice for guests, but still is never used, so neither are the lamps.
We do not have any other lamps in the entire house.  I don’t need a lamp for using the computer, it has it has own light.  I don’t need a lamp to read a book, I read books off a “Nook” tablet thing which also has its own light.
I do have a sort of lamp on my Bbq grill.  It goes on when you lift the grill lid and off when you close the lid, but it is only dark when I grill a couple of months of the year, and I don’t grill as often when it is freezing outside.
I have a cheap light that clips onto the brim of my hat, also used for night time grilling…is that a lamp?
I think I should have picked something less boring, but first thing spotted was my rule, maybe next time I need material I’ll be reading a dirty magazine, or looking at guitars, (almost equally exciting to me these days sad to say) but that is about all I’ve got on lamps.
Used to have a lot of them, used them a lot, now they are only decorations for a room we never use, are lamps headed for extinction in our world? 
We did use a lamp to get through eight days of no power after super- storm Sandy so they are needed for emergencies.  
Wait, that was a lantern…Never mind.

20 comments:

  1. We have a cactus lamp here that stands about 5 feet tall. It was purchased as a gift for hubby's parents when they were going through their southwestern/Native American hobby. I don't know what we were thinking (actually it was my idea, so what was I thinking?) Upon their passing it came to be ours. It suits its purpose for where it sits in the rooms we have used it, but I'd say goodbye to it in a heartbeat. Otherwise, only 3 other lamps here; one by my work station and two in the bedroom, small ones on opposite sides of the bed. Makes you wonder how a store like Lamps R Us can stay in business.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a lamp for my sewing and crafting. One of those you can twist it in a million directions to get the light right where you need it. My issue with lamps or lighting of any kind is that they took our real light bulbs away! I don't like this coily things that get brighter the longer they're on and they have weird wattage. Just your standard 40, 60, 75, 100 and flood. That's all I need in my life. :) - I have a Himalayan salt lamp and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have a few lamps. Two battery operated LED lamps in case of blackouts, one with a butterfly patterned leadlight shade which I'll turn on if I'm going to be away from home after dark, so the cat can still see, and a bedside lamp to read by. I'm not happy with the energy saver globes available now, they don't last as long, despite what the package says and they are not bright enough. With the old style globes I changed them maybe once every five years, now it seems I change globes every year at least, more for the living room one which is on most of the time. I preferred the good old fashioned 100watt globes. I like to see without squinting and straining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I hadn't thought about lamps ... We have several lamps around here, but I'll be hanged if I can remember the last time I turned one on. We just turn on the ceiling lights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lamps? I can't live without them. Centre room lights don't give me the sort of light I like. Favourite lighting is from those uplights you get with standard lamps. They're better than anything.
    You mentioned a computer light, gosh I haven't seen one of those in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have the can ceiling lights in our family room, but still use lamps in all the bedrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use the bedside lamps every day, and have large floor lamps in a few places. If i ever have the money, i need to redo the lighting in this place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talking about a room you never used....... my grandparents had a "parlor" that was only used for company. Friends would drop in, unannounced (no phones) mostly on Sunday afternoon and that is where they had coffee and a pastry. I remember it was always so quiet and the only sound would be the ticking of a tall grandfather clock. Those were pleasant days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use lamps to sew and knit. Lotsa light to see those stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you didn't shed much light on that topic did you? We use lamps...we use our living room....nothing lovelier on a dark stormy night than a warm puddle of yellow lamp light...so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubby and I read in the evening in our living room. Shock, I know and we both have our lamps. It's a good thing. We also have a lamp on each side of our bed. Do we use them often? Well that would be no.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neither my husband or I like ceiling lights. We find them harsh and overbearing. So every room in our house has several lamps. We do have an overhead light in our hallway and also use the one in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like lamps for decor and ambiance. I think they use less power then overhead lights so I keep some on at night, always turn off at bedtime, afraid of them knocking over and starting a fire. Frustrating though are all the choices in light bulbs. My favorite lamp is my Christmas Story mini leg lamp but the bulb in the leg died and there is no way to change it which is frustrating cause now it's not as funny. Lamps, good topic. Expand on the bulbs though. Now there's some real material...

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have quite a few lamps because I hate overhead lighting, the type attached to the veiling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a lamp freak. I love lamps as they put the light in the right spot for the job intended and soften a room unlike an overhead light which spotlights any cleaning lapses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. About the only thing I use a lamp for s artwork!!i

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never think about lamps any more, now that Hick finally put a new switch on the one he made me use pliers to turn on and off for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love lamps. I have a weakness - I want to buy more unique lamps. My husband doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wait...what? You don't use your living room? Where the heck do you hang out?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey that's MY lamp! Hahaha! It's so ridiculous that I love it :)

    I have to use a lamp when I crochet because my eyes are so old now, so I'm glad our new house came with such a great one.

    ReplyDelete