NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

English Leather




English Leather






Valarie, the lovely blogger from the UK http://allsortsforallsorts.blogspot.com/
commented on a recent post that she did not know what my reference to “English Leather” was.  Funny that someone from the UK would not know about “English Leather.” 

She did assume it was not like leather from a shoe.

Anyone from the USA who grew up in the 60’s surely remembers “English Leather” that infamous cologne worn by pimply-faced teenage boys hoping to get lucky.

When used sparingly, “English Leather” was probably quite pleasant, certainly more pleasant than the actual smell of a pimply-faced teenage boy.

Legend has it that at one time an attractive young lady told a pimply-faced teen boy that she liked the pleasant odor of “English Leather.”

Word spread that “English Leather” drove women wild, and teen boys doubled down on its use.

(Young people may need to just think “Axe.”)

For years, young girls were subjected to the much over application of “English Leather.” For the sake of continued dating, since all young boys used the stuff, young girls said nothing.

Only after millions of young men finally won the affections of young women were they advised to stop splashing that horrid stuff all over. 

It does not take long for those millions of men to advise other young men that “English Leather” was not an aphrodisiac.

The stuff probably still exists in cupboards of homes long left by former young boys, or perhaps in some ancient abandoned but undisturbed college dorms. 

I don’t actually know what the leather of a worn old English saddle smells like, but I suspect the odor would bring back memories of, “No, don’t!” and perhaps even a quick slap to the face.  

    

16 comments:

  1. Maybe she didn't know what it was because over there, they just call it "leather."

    Just goes to show that guys will try anything they hear works with girls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the commercials had something to do with selling so much English Leather. You guys were wearing it, but wishing you were wearing "nothing at all."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkTNX6VU71A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Australia we know it as Imperial Leather and it is overpowering when splashed on too liberally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah....Harry has the answer. Thank you, Harry. I asked a few neighbours and found out that I am not the only ignorant female!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brings to mind what i used to say to train my kids not to use too much of such things — Nice scent, must you marinate in it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The very thought of it still makes me queasy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmmm. . . I somehow managed to snag me an amazing woman, even despite my English Leather fetish. I still have a half-bottle of the stuff stashed somewhere in my drawer. For a while in the 80s, English Leather made a scent called 'Timberline' that I really liked, but it was only around for five years or so.

    I have a positive talent for driving products out of the marketplace. I swear, marketers have their eye on me, and when I show a clear preference for their product, it's like they say, "Oh geez; not HIM. If he likes it, we've got to get it out of there ASAP!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good memories. Us girls had Love's Baby Soft

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think both men and woman could learn the value of moderation when it comes to 'the stinky stuff'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure I remember English Leather but I did get over whelmed by guys doused in Old Spice, Brut or Hai Karate. Maybe I dated lower income guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brut or Hai Karate were pretty much the same thing as English Leather...Old Spice smelled like my Grandfather...and he did not use cologne or aftershave.

      Delete
  11. While cleaning out his cupboards after my dad died (my mother had predeceased him) we found about two dozen rolls of toilet paper & about six bottles of Brut--I assume there was no connection!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In Oz the culprit was Old Spice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never cared for anything boys splashed all over themselves to attract us. They always used too much and I always wondered what they were really trying to cover up.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was thinking along the lines of Harry Hamid - like Chinese food in China would be just "food," English Leather in England would be just "leather."

    ReplyDelete