NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Friday, June 1, 2018

Formerly Exit 12


Formerly Exit 12

I don’t know if this is a Jersey thing, but it always gets my head a scratching.  Half of our highways have changed their exits.  No, they have not changed the physical exit, they just change the number.

Sometimes they go from designating an exit by the number of exits, (I.E. Exit 3 would be the third exit from the start) to exit by mile marker (Exit 72 is at mile marker 72.)

So, on half the highways I travel the exit markers say “Exit 12…formerly exit 3”.

What numb-nutz decided to change the Exit numbers? And for crap sake make up your mind, either make all exit numbers based on the exit number, or the mile marker, one or the other, not either or and don’t change the formula every so often.

So, in these here parts when someone asks, “What exit do I take?” 

Half of the time you answer, “I’m not sure, it used to be exit 12.  Just look for the Exit that says “Formerly Exit 12.” 

Of course, this becomes a problem when it is decided that the “Formally” designation is no longer needed.  Then again, I never know when they drop the “Formerly’’ mention, I don’t think they ever do. 

I think eventually they will change the exits back or perhaps to a new Exit Designation formula all together.  They will have to make the sign say

“Exit 17… formerly Exit 3...Used to be Exit 8 and for you really old folks it was Turn-off for Taylors Pkwy, now Broad Street.” 

Good luck spotting that exit.

What brought on this rant?

Just the other day we passed an exit on Rt. 280 that said “Exit 23 A…formerly 23 B.”  Seriously? Why dd 23 A go to 23 B?

I forgot, this is Jersey, some politician must have an Uncle who makes Highway Signs.

 

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like how my grandfather used to give directions.

    "Turn right just past where the Hinky Dinky used to be and you'll come to a house which, back when I was growing up, was pink and some kids by the name of Gernandt lived there. Turn left."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're really screwed if you don't update you navigation thingy on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you turn by where the pecan grove used to be.

    Our highways go with numbering the exit based on the mile marker. If there's more than one by a particular mile marker, they disignate with a letter following the number. One exit has A-J, there are so many different ramps.

    If they ever start doing that "formerly" thing here, i think people will get lost and never get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm bad enough with explicit directions. So I'd just have to pull over and start my life anew from that place. Never gonna get to where I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sit on the bus and hope the driver knows where to go.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might be a Jersey thing, but I don't know. I've never heard anyone in my life give directions by using exit numbers. Everyone uses the actual name of the road that's the exit, I have no idea what the number even is for my own exit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't drive any more. That's one of the reasons why!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michigan must've gotten to the whole 'exit number' thing late. We've only ever had exit numbers according to the mile markers. Of course, like Bijoux said, all the locals just know which road you're getting off at, and wouldn't know the exit numbers to save their lives. . .

    But then, they change the name of one of the main roads from 'Logan St' to 'Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard', and all the old folks are messed up for the next 20 years. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just bizarre. I think your last line says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just have your GPS tell you where to go. 'Course if it makes a mistake you might tell IT where to go. Poor Siri.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a real confusing mess. If we don’t hear from you in the future, we’ll know you got lost off the wrong exit somewhere. Took a break from blogging, so just catching up with what you’ve been up to — cranky as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The turnpike did a similar thing a few years ago. I don't trust a GPS and I always have a map book in my car. If you ever visit Ashland, Ohio I'll warn you now that some streets start on one side of town, then stop, then pick up across town with the same name. Don't get me started on the weird 5 way intersections...oh, and watch out for the horse poop and the Amish buggies...oh, and the bridge is out by the Fin, Feather, and Fur store and Grandpa's Cheesebarn. I'll keep a light on for you.

    ReplyDelete