NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

CRAZY DRIVERS


CRAZY DRIVERS


I used to think it was mostly a Jersey thing, or there were just a lot of BMW drivers in these parts, (I leave out Massachusetts drivers, those people are a special kind of crazy) but I now find that wherever you go, drivers these days are crazy.

I thought it was just because I am getting old, and like fuddy-duddies of days gone by I think no one shows proper caution for anything anymore.

But then.

Mrs. C has a theory.

Ninety percent of drivers today grew up playing video games.  Games where speed and dexterity are a premium.  Games that score extra points for bumping other video cars off the road.  Games that routinely have massive accidents where no one is actually hurt.

She calls these drivers “Joy-stick jockeys” and I think she is spot on. 

There have always been some speeders and occasional old people sweavers, but these days every other car is driving like they are getting points for passing.  Tailgate until you pull over, pass way too fast on either side and often for no other gain then to get to the next exit two seconds quicker.

I think Mrs. C is right, the reason for so many crazy drivers today is that they have grown up with video games and a video game mentality.

Maybe they should change the way these video games are designed.  Give extra points for safe driving.  Make the goal of a game to get from point A to point B safely and not give any extra credit for speed.

The video game I would design to encourage safe driving would give points for no accidents, it would pull you over and subtract points anytime you exceed the speed limit or change lanes without signaling.

Old people would be great at my game.  Get in the right lane, drive five miles below the speed limit, hands at 10 and 2 with a steel grip.  As long as you arrive at your destination in time for an early bird schedule…you win!

Young people would suck at my video game, but it might teach them how to survive on real world roads.

Probably not.

15 comments:

  1. I'm afraid, Mr Cranky, that a game, where safe driving was rewarded, would not be nearly as popular as one where the cars go airborn while drivers eliminate their opponents.
    But, your are right. At least one driver in a hundred is using all lanes as they drive at least five miles per hour faster than all other vehicles, many times with some other clown in hot pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great theory. Sarcastic people who ride with me call me "Miss 10 and 2." I have heard that they now say 9 and 3 is preferred but I am not able to make the switch. My early training stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to play your video game. Oh wait, I already to in real life.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still blame people on their phones for most issues on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've become a very impatient society. We stand in front of a microwave oven and yell "HURRY UP, DAMMIT!" We're about the same behind the wheel, too. I don't understand people who pay big bucks for cars with 500 horsepower so they can drive from stop sign to traffic light at barely 40mph. Bragging rights?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea but doubt the kids will buy into it. Like Olga, I haven't managed to switch over to the new position. Guess if I have a wreck, I'll just have to let the airbag break my arms.
    Come to the Ozarks. We have no choice but to drive carefully. Two lane roads with no passing lanes and usually a log truck or RV struggling on the hills will slow everyone down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They used to call your video game "Driver's Ed". Too bad it has been phased out in most schools in favor of the SJW fad of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think video game crashes should end up on injuries!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They don’t want to drive your way (which is my way, too). They view every other driver as the competition and want to “win”, whatever winning constitutes in their little minds.

    By the way, studies have proven that Louisiana drivers have the highest insurance rates in the country because of our unsafe driving. Each of my children pays $2-300/month for basic liability. Yes, two to three hundred per month. When it comes to horrible drivers, we win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old people would love your video game...if they could only figure out how to turn it on, and how to work the controls.

    I don't drive on the highway, but the crazy drivers I encounter veering at me over the center line fall into two categories (in my opinion, since I haven't done a scientific study): those distracted by cell phones, and those under the influence of recreational pharmaceuticals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am forever grateful I no longer drive and that my broomstick is safe from those nutjobs on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Around here navigating the Amish buggies can be a trip but I would really like to see if drivers these days can do it without a phone in their hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds very plausible! I suppose that explains why some drivers put everyone else at risk to get to the red light that puts us all back to the same point. Drives (haha) me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want a video game where you get extra bonus points for using your turn signal!

    ReplyDelete