NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Feast of San Genarro 2012 Little Italy


Feast of San Genarro 2012 Little Italy
 

Brought to you by Kia Motors

 

This Sunday I went to my first Feast of San Gennaro, on Mulberry Street, Little Italy, NYC with Mrs. Cranky, and her sister Mary Ann and BIL Mike, or the “Crank-in-laws.”

The first thing that hits you on Mulberry Street is the crowd.  There is much bumping and twisting, but no pushing and shoving.  Everyone is in a good mood.  I think the good mood is a result of the unbelievable intoxicating smells of great food which changes at every step. 

I guess that’s why it is called a feast.
 
 
 
Mr. Crank-in-law

We had reservation for a late lunch at Il Cortile.  The testosterone challenged crank-in-law made these reservations and she caught a lot of flak because of it.

  “Why would we eat at a restaurant when all of Little Italy is selling some of the best street food in the world?”

 There were steak sandwiches, sausage sandwiches, fried mozzarella, zepolles, funnel cake, every pasta invented, manicotti, baked ziti, lasagna, calamari and much more.

As an aside: In Little Italy sausage is called “sauseege,” mozzarella is “mutz,” manicotti is “managut,”and calamari is“gallamar.” Don’t ask!

As it turned out, lunch at the restaurant was an excellent get-a-way from the hustle and bustle of the street and the food was fantastic (there are NO bad restaurants in Little Italy) so Mrs. Crank-in-law was exonerated.

Thanks, Mary Ann!

After lunch we took in the sites and sampled some more food.

This cannoli was a bit much:
 

Mrs. Cranky and Cannoli Man
Did he just say "Eat me?"*

We bought cigars


 
And Hats
 
 

Horrible Pic of Mrs. Crank-in-law (sorry MA)
 
 

Better pic of Mary Ann

 

 “We skipped the snake girl”
 
 

We gave a dollar and won a prayer
 

 
And we harassed a celebrity
 
“Who’s the Boss?”

Mr. Crank-in-law accosts an unbelievably affable Tony Danza

 
All in all it was a terrific day. 
On the way home, just before the Holland Tunnel we spied someone selling tee shirts with the ultimate NYC- Little Italy attitude:

 In all black with bold white print
 

“FUCK YOU
 YOU FUCKING
FUCK”

I love New York!

*"Sex in the city" reference.

7 comments:

  1. What a great T-shirt! Got to get me one of those. I also loved your pictures. We have a big Greek festival here in Portland and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post and looked like a great time from your pics. Def the shirt tho, just about says it all doesn't it? May have to look for one of those myself! Enjoyed reading your posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm too far from any Little Italy, but you gave me a sense I was walking right by you! Grazie, paisan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love NY and Little Italy in particular. Every visit, I try to have at least one meal at one of the great restaurants there. Now my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post cranky I thought I was there. OK the cannoli dude wow the things that went through my mind when I saw that picture......And I so need that t-shirt sounds allot like my family dinner convo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun time. And that food....I gained 3 pounds just reading this. All we have here are redneck festivals, and they don't have shirts that say anything. Matter of fact, most don't wear shirts, period.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful mouth-watering post. What a wonderful day of celebration. I am now so hungry...

    ReplyDelete