NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

OSPREY WATCHING


OSPREY WATCHING

 

 

On the beach at Lavallette, New Jersey, I have been fascinated watching the Ospreys.  Ospreys are large raptors.  They live on a diet of 99 percent fish.  I used to see them a lot while visiting my parent’s home on the Eastern Shore Md., but have not seen them on the Jersey Shore until this year.

What has struck me while watching these birds is the patience they have, and also the boredom that is their existence.  It is not much different from most wild creatures, but just more obvious while observing their behavior.

I worked a fairly boring job for 40 years.  Up early, drive to the train, get to work, work, catch the train home, eat, play with kids, sleep and start over.  At least I had a change of pace on weekends and vacations.

The Osprey and his mate are up early every morning.  They fish nonstop until sundown, constantly soaring over the ocean up and down the coast.  They do not stop.  They have three little ospreys to feed.  I seldom see them dive for fish.  In two weeks I have seen them dive 5 times and catch 4 fish.  They are good, but sometimes they miss.  I’m sure they have caught more fish without me watching, but trust me they are patient.

The ospreys get no sick days, no mental health days, no vacation days, they just fish every day and if they do not catch any fish they will die.   I used to think I was pressured to work, but if I missed a day, my children would not starve.  The osprey must catch fish.

I have been watching a pair of ospreys for two weeks.  Today there were five.  I think the babies are out of the nest.  They are learning to fish.  They better learn fast.  Their skill is considerable and if they do not learn, they will die.  Fish, catch, or starve.

Sitting on the beach watching, I think my life is pretty good.
                                  _______________________

My cousin Nils sent me this video on the osprey.  It is pretty amazing.
 
 
 

 

     

12 comments:

  1. Ever stop to think maybe they're up there just riding the wind, checking out the good-lookin' ladies on the beach? ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we also have ospreys off our dock raising two little ones. They are most interesting to watch. And we do see them fishing, ours are pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you mean raptors, but what do I know?

    I've watched them, and eagles, too.
    I could spend hours doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking that fishing all day and being able to FLY might make up for some of that tedium. Hey, have you ever watched them pick up a fish, fly off, and then turn the fish around so the head is facing aerodynamically forward while they fly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can think of worse ways to spend the day (other than the dying bit if you don't do it of course ...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, now I love that I can come here to laugh, to be entertained, AND to be educated at the same time. That video was awesome. I thought he was going to lose that last fish for sure, hanging on with just one foot like that. (foot? talon? toes? claws? okay, obviously I've still got more to learn about these birds, so keep the Osprey posts coming!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many animals have to work exceedingly hard to provide food for themselves and their young. Nature can be a cruel taskmaster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great way to put our human existence (in the states, anyway) in perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to Nils for the great picture. That bird is beautiful, tough life or no.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not familiar with it but it is a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That video was amazing! It's the circle of life, isn't it? They eat the fish but who are their predators?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, now I'm tired just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete