NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Monday, July 29, 2013

ATTENTION DISORDER - a cranky re-run

ATTENTION DISORDER

This re-run is from July 2012

ADD, Attention Deficit Disorder, is a very common diagnosis for young people today, particularly young boys.  ADD used to be called daydreaming; it can be a serious learning disability.  Are you either ADD, or not ADD?  Certainly there must be different levels of this condition. 

If you have a severe attention deficit disorder it can and should be treated.  I knew a young man who was incorrigible and unable to withstand the simplest social situation, he became a completely different, delightful, polite person when drugs allowed him to focus on his environment.

I also believe children can learn to focus without drugs.  Sometimes this disorder can actually allow a person to successfully multitask.  I know I am sometimes attention challenged, yet I can watch TV, write a blog, and carry on a conversation with Mrs. C all at the same time (Mrs. C would dispute the conversation part.)

In high school I was able to learn math without paying my undivided attention to the teacher.  A2+B2=…Damn Sally Ferguson has a nice ass…C2.  If I was on medication I might have missed out on Sally Ferguson’s nice ass, or more than likely my full attention might have been diverted totally away from math.

My oldest brother had an attention disorder completely on the other side of the spectrum.  He would be so focused on a book, an article, or just inventing stuff in his head that you could not get his attention.

“Jim…JIM…JIM…JIM…whack him on the head with a wad of paper…JIM.”

“Huh…yea…what?"

Surely my brother could have been diagnosed with Attention Over-focus Disorder or AOFD.  Perhaps he could have been treated with drugs to have a normal attention span, but then we would have missed out on a great mind, and several sonar and radar inventions which make our country safer from attack by our enemies.  Sure it would have saved the wadding up of countless pieces of paper, but I believe a unique mind is more than worth a little cajoling to get ones attention.

Attention Deficit, or attention over-focus, when either seriously affects a person’s ability to have a normal life perhaps medication is in order.  However we must be careful, especially with young children, to not destroy the uniqueness of a young mind. 

Sometimes “disorder” can just mean “different.” If we medicate “different” we may gain another “normal” mind, but lose the next genius who could help solve some of the world’s greatest problems.

Hey…I’m just sayin……damn, Sally did have a nice ass.


 

10 comments:

  1. Good post. I think. What I remember of it. Tell me more about Sally's ass.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did anything interesting happen in your post after the first paragraph? I was distracted by a fly in my study and couldn't concentrate on what you wrote.



    Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike the above commenters, I am able to pay attention at all...who's calling, please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you didn't whack Sally Ferguson on the ass. With a wad of paper, or any other implement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need drugs to focus on Sally's ass, they call it SAD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More important for parents and teachers to teach their kids the tools to get by with the rest of the world. I think it's getting a bit better that way. I hope.

    ADD definition: Attention Deficit Dis .. hey, let's go ride bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, that was me on Frank's sign in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good ol' Sally.
    :-)

    I am like your brother Jim: when I am reading, I hear nothing. :-)

    Amazing how this works out for me.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree that there is too much medicalisation of "differentness"

    (Two long words in one sentence. I'm improving. )

    ReplyDelete