NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Almost Was Stupid Again


Almost Was Stupid Again

I won’t go on about the many stupid things I have done lately, it has been more than a few, and they have cost me more than I care to calculate.  I just recently dodged another stupid-bullet that was headed straight for my wallet.

Mrs.  C was complaining that the garage door was not opening with one simple push of the keypad open button.  I assured her that it has always been difficult and often needs a double push.

“No, this is different, it is on the way out, we need a new keypad.”

The door was installed at least four years ago, so the keypad could conceivably be on the fritz (on the fritz, see how old I am.)

“It may just be the contacts are dirty, I could hit them with some WD-40 and it might fix the problem.”

“You can’t put WD-40 on anything electrical!”

“It’ll be fine.”

“No, just leave it alone, I’ll call a garage guy on Monday.”

“No way, that will cost at least $75!”

“Cheaper than you electrocuting yourself!”

“It’s perfectly safe.”

“Don’t mess with it, you’re an idiot.”

“Hey, I maybe a jerk, but not an idiot.”

“If you kill yourself messing with electricity, I’ll have idiot engraved on your urn.”

I backed off, I know when to quit an argument. I also know that at the first chance, I was going to spray that sucker with WD-40 and show her a thing or two.

Sunday, Mrs. C went to the movies with her sister.  As she pulled out of the driveway, I pulled out the WD-40.  Now I am not an idiot, so before I sprayed anything on the keypad, I unplugged the garage door.  I didn’t really think I needed to do so, but did it in an abundance of caution and as the last thing I wanted to hear on my way to the emergency room in an ambulance was, “I told you so!”

As I was about to spray the keypad, I noticed there was a slight glow under the keys. 

“Hmm…the power is off and yet the keypad glows.  I’ll bet it is because there is a battery under this little plastic thingy with a thumb space for prying open.”

Sure enough, the keypad operates under the power of a 9-volt battery which switches on the motor which is connected to the real power.

Who knew?

I installed a new battery, and voila, the door opens with just the slightest push of the button.

Saved $75 and proved I am not an idiot.

I did spray the keypad with WD-40 anyway, just to prove it would not be dangerous…OK, maybe I am a jerk.


16 comments:

  1. You were the hero of the day. Good job! I do think that WD-40 and Windex are two of the greatest products invented.

    My Retired Man likes to tell me how to do everything. He can’t help it, he was a QC manager most of his life and I am now his project. Truly, I have some rust on me, but have not completely deteriorated. I try to handle it as diplomatically as possible and look like I am going to take his advice, and, like you, as soon as he leaves the house, I do it my way. I haven’t burned down the house yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The defiance is admirable, Joe. You showed her and you fixed the garage door. Good for you.

    I'll await your next adventure and we all know there will be one.

    Have a fabulous day. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good info! I wouldn't think there was a battery in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the important thing is that you were right about the danger (or lack thereof) of WD40.

    I don't remember whether you've said Mrs. C reads the blog or not. I hope not, in this case, because you're going to be busted if she does.

    Come to think of it, you'd be busted about a lot of things, so she probably doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WD40 is brilliant. Used it to release my head when it got stuck in the cat flap at the bottom of the kitchen door.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not stupid but brilliant. At my house WD 40 and Duct tape get a lot of use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good that the keypad is not connected to the house electricity, i've seen some that are. Of course, they don't need batteries. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid luck, er, uh, work. Work. Splendid work. That's what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Joe. Hope Mrs. C duly impressed. Now if they only made WD40 with a decent smell. I hate the smell and will use it only as a last resort for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is clear that you are one very intelligent guy. Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how those things work, so I would have let you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha Ha. Battery was my first thought and I wondered why Mrs C didn't think of it. Or you. I wouldn't ever spray a keyboard with WD40, but I might spray the working parts of the actual door, like hinges and parts that need to glide smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So man proves he's a genius, well done. Did you mark the date as a day of achievement?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ours has been losing its mind lately every so often. Have to reset the code in the remote. Of course, it's been working faithfully since 1992, so I can't really complain. Probably time for new one but, "if it's works, don't fix it" is a maxim I prefer to live by. And yes, both remotes have new batteries, so I'm a bit stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm proud of you, JERK!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think WD-40 and duct tape are really the only tools we EVER need. If it should move and doesn't: WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't: duct tape.

    ReplyDelete