NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Going To Alaska


Going To Alaska


I was just informed by Mrs. C that we are going to Alaska in May.  Some of you might think that sounds wonderful.  I hate traveling, and this will be two weeks…with NO beach!  Well Mrs. C likes to travel, so part of our deal is I go where she tells me we are going.  She does all the planning, packing, and holds my hand so I don’t get lost, so it’s not too bad.

The thing about Alaska is all the things to do that I hear from my outdoors-nut friends Frog and Catfish, and what they’ve done on trips to our northernmost state.  I don’t think I’m ready for their idea of adventure.

Frog took a beat up rent a car to go fishing.  He followed a map which showed trails and made them look like actual roads.  He somehow made it to an unchartered river and he and Mrs. Frog caught fish all day while hiking among grizzly bear tracks. 

“Weren’t you afraid?”

“Oh no, we made lots of noise to let them know we were around, in general they stay away.”

“In general?”

“Yeah, plus I carried a 9000-millimeter Ugandan elephant pistol, you know, just in case.  If that didn’t work, I can out run Mrs. Frog…well I could at the time.” (Old joke, sorry.)

I don’t plan to fish.

Catfish is even more over the top.  I’m pretty sure he took a kayak on the Bering Sea to fly-fish for opilio crab.  He used polar bear pelt and moose tail to tie a fly that mimicked a rotting mackerel.  I think he could see Russia from where he fished. 

Then there was the time Catfish got caught in a blizzard and had to kill and gut a seal.  He spent the night in the seal hide to weather the storm.  A Polar bear was sniffing around during the night, but he poked it in the balls to shoo him away. (My mind may have exaggerated the real stories a bit.)

I’m not quite as hard core.

I’m going to Alaska and we are never getting off the boat.  There might be some group excursions that I can make sound exciting.  Probably not.

Frog and Catfish will not be impressed.

I need to get some new friends.  People who only go where all the drinks are served with an umbrella.

29 comments:

  1. Could be quite an adventure and just think how many blog posts you might get from that 2 week trip! Alaska would be on my bucket list to see, but getting there would would be a struggle since I'm a reluctant flyer :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Alaska. Our boat broke down, stranding us on an island, and we had to get in one of those 4-seater water-landing planes and fly back to civilization. I saw a baby bear (which my uncle said meant a BIG bear was around pretty close) and salmon poachers with giant treble hooks on ropes (who my uncle said it was best not to acknowledge, because snagging salmon is highly illegal).

    Yep. Didn't have to kill and gut a seal, though. I think you'll really like Alaska. Or else you'll be a JERK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to go one day, but it would have to be in their summer and even then I'd worry about overnight frostbite.
    Please take some photos for us while you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No beach - no brainer - come to Cornwall with us instead Joe, plenty of beaches there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Alaska, by boat. The scenery was wonderful but then I don't fish or do anything remotely energetic. Take a camera, that will give you something to do... smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs C. is very adventurous. My idea of a vacation is to send the hubs out for the afternoon so I can have the house to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents went twice because they loved it that much. My husband refuses to ever set foot on a cruise ship, so I doubt I will ever see it. Take pictures for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you taking a cruise. Mrs. Chatterbox and I cruised the Inland Passage to Glacier Bay and it was wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful time, even if you don't leave the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. C'mon. You're really looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alaska is very beautiful from afar. We landed there, but never had to leave the airport. The layover was about 3 hours, but that was enough to take in the awesome view and have some brunch.

    Have fun on your trip, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you do fishing when you know that there is probably a Bear peering over your shoulder ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. May, huh? How'd you pick that month? You may have something real to actually bitch about: it's not unusual for the month of May to be mostly low clouds and rain in SE Alaska. I knew someone who took the cruise that month and only saw the shore a couple times.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for your uplifting comment.

      Fodor's recommends visiting Alaska from late May through mid-August for the fairest weather, with average temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees F. Summer brings extended daylight, with 19 hours of sunshine on June 21.

      We're counting on Global warming to make it a good time to visit.

      Delete
  13. I'd love to visit Alaska someday, but I'd want to go when it's be most likely to get a good view of the aurora borealis. (September, I think...) At any rate, I bet you love it, in spite of your bellyaching. The scenery alone should be worth the trip. Besides, two weeks without any chores around the house and yard? What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like fun. I wouldn't care for the ship and neither would hubby. We always get so sick when we cruised. I like our little boat far better.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be your pal, Joe. Serve up the umbrella drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh how exciting, you might enjoy it. Will you see the Northern Lights from there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I took an Alaska cruise and it was wonderfully tame. We stopped at the far North and left the ship to do some hiking on our own. One of the trails was closed, opened,and closed again all because of bear attacks from one rogue bear. They are a force with which to be reckoned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You never know, you might like it. I've been told we're going to Europe in May. This will be our last Europe type of hurrah, so fine, I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You will enjoy Alaska even if you don't get off the boat, and at least you will be able to say you've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucky you. An Alaskan cruise is on my bucket list. Riding a boat along the coast line doesn't sound strenuous or dangerous. Bet you don't even have to spend the night in a seal carcass.
    Can't wait to read those posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. When my husband was in the coast guard, he was on a icebreaker/cutter The Polar Sea. We once thought about moving to Alaska. I love the adventure and wilderness Alaska has to offer.

    Oh you'll have fun. Will miss you though....;-(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Be sure to take a helicopter & walk on a glacier!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh boohoo, Crankyman. Just keep your eyes open, take in the beauty and experience how different that place is from New Jersey. (36 years ago -- oh my golly 36 years ago! -- I spent 3 weeks with a friend kayaking a river in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge, then exploring more of AK: one of the most memorable experiences of my life. And that includes the mosquitoes.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Count me among those who are looking forward to your pictures from that trip! Take lots. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I was a kid, my aunt, uncle and cousin lived in Fairbanks. That's the closest I'm ever likely to get to the place. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love you Cranky, please keep posting, and have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think you'll love it Joe. The fishing is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete