NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

THE JELLY DONUT


THE JELLY DONUT
A cranky re-run…sort of

This story was in my first book, part of my attempt to be an actual writer.  It is still available on Amazon, but don’t waste your money.  It was in a chapter about my children.  My daughter recently told me she was having a donut tasting test at the various establishments in her town and might blog about it.  I felt this might be a good time to post this story.

One Saturday morning, when Mary Beth was six-years-old, I went to the local 7-11 and bought six jelly donuts; one tasty pastry for each member of the family with one left over. 

I left the special breakfast treats to my delighted children’s excitement to go and walk the dog.  All during the walk, I was looking forward to relaxing with a cup of coffee and a jelly donut (maybe even two).  On my return, I found only one donut was left.

“Who had two donuts?” I inquired. 

Mike and Matt quickly threw their sibling under the bus. 

“Mary Beth.”  

A bit upset at her gluttony I raced upstairs to confront the culprit, Mike and Matt following close behind.  Mary Beth was not to be found, no doubt hiding from my expected admonishment.

When I returned to the kitchen, the last of the precious donuts was missing!

“Mary Beth!” I screamed with rising rage. 

“Ummfft” came the reply from the laundry room downstairs. 

I quickly raced downstairs yelling,

 “Mary Beth, did you take that last donut?” 

“Nooft” came the muffled response. 

When I finally encountered the little felon, her face was covered in powdered sugar as she continued to feign innocence. 

As angry as I was, with the sight of this pitiful little girl pleading innocence with a mouth full of pastry and donut DNA all over her face, it was all I could do to keep from laughing.  I am afraid that at the tender age of six the only lesson Mary Beth learned from this incident was the power of being cute.  

26 comments:

  1. If only you had known back then the secret of hiding it under a towel on the kitchen counter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your problem started when you went out to walk the dog. Eat donuts, then walk the dog :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that mine from Pogo, Jelly donuts, not so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one problem I have with jelly donuts is there is never enough jelly in them. I used to cut them in half and spread the jelly to cover (ha ha) each half and for a special treat, whipped cream would be added, but real whipped cream, not that stuff in a spray can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, do I love jelly donuts!
    Does Mary Beth still?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a donut yesterday at the farm, it was very disappointing. The jam (because I'm English and we have jam not jelly ;-) ) was actually, well, it was actually like jelly (which is that stuff we mix with hot water and leave to set in the fridge)! It was really thick and claggy. I would happily have let Mary Beth have my donut ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy days, eh? Great to read one of your stories.... hope more will follow. As for donuts, I never had the opportunity but I know I would have turned thief if any had been left lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donuts are always a special treat. One of my kids always picked to have donuts instead of birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When there are treats in the house you have to learn to secure yours first and place it in hiding....and why oh why oh why did you buy an extra donut lol?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fathers and their daughters! It sounds as though you unwittingly set her on the path to donut addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heeheehee! Since when is a half dozen donuts enough?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm guessing she still loves jelly donuts. I'm pretty sure she does. What a great post.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love donuts and jelly donuts are the bomb! Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm donuts, delicious, I try not to eat too many nowadays though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I did laugh reading that! I prefer plain cake donuts. Here the only place I can get them is Marks and Spencers and though the donut itself is perfect they put granulated sugar on them not confectioners/icing. My local supermarket cannot be accused of skimping on the jam/jelly though -- when I do have one I always end up very sticky and with jam somewhere on my clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Mary Beth on jelly donuts. Those boys would have been out of luck, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being cute can be very powerful. I know because it's a power I don't possess.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lost it when that last donut disappeared. Somehow I knew the clever little one was safe from any lectures. That was an adorable story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They could have blamed it on the dog is he hadn't been with you. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cuteness beats honesty every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would have given Mary Beth my jelly donut. I want mine with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't believe you could get mad at that sweet youngun'.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I was a wee lad in North Dakota, those were called "Bismarcks". I don't think it had anything to to with the state capital, though. I think Otto Von was the namesake.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My kids used to blame our dog. :)

    ReplyDelete