NEW AND IMPROVED
This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!
Monday, May 12, 2014
DRIVING ON THE RIGHT - a Cranky re-run
DRIVING ON THE RIGHT
This Monday cranky re-run is from May 2012
In days gone by, riding on horseback, you would want to approach another rider to the left so you could hold the reins with your left hand and greet the other rider with your right hand (the traditional greeting hand) or hack off his head with your sword (traditionally held in the right hand.)
SO WHY DRIVE ON THE RIGHT?
Most countries drive on the right side of the road. Are they left handed countries? No. Apparently when travel moved to carriages, or especially heavy wagons, drivers sat on the left of the wagon so they could more effectively use the whip with their right hand. Drivers preferred to drive on the right so they could see down the road. This made head hacking more difficult. Hey, you can’t have everything.
Countries had to decide on horse whipping (right side driving) or head hacking (left side driving.) Most countries chose whipping over head-hacking.
Countries in the UK stayed on the left because the UK is tradition driven. Stiff upper lip, left hand on the whip.
In today’s multinational economy, automobile companies have to make cars with steering on the left for 75% of the world and steering on the right for the other 25%. This cannot be cost effective. Driving while visiting a right side country from a left side country cannot be safe.
Why don’t countries just come together and decide to all drive on the same side of the road?
Why don’t all countries decide to use the same weights and measure systems?
Politicians are always preaching fair trade and World peace.
SHIT…we can’t even agree to drive on the same side of the road.