NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Saturday, March 3, 2018

A CRANKY OPINION

A CRANKY OPINION
For
CRANKY OPINION SATURDAY
I believe that Donald Trump…no, I don’t think so, regardless of where I go with that, a lot of people will get pissed off and hate me.
The answer to ending violence in schools is…no, I don’t think so, the only people angrier than Trump haters are gun lovers.
The problem with instant replay in sports is…no way, that will cost me seventy percent of my readers.
This years OSCAR winners should be…no, that even bores me, as in who gives a crap.
Well this is horrible, it is Saturday and I need to have an opinion.
OK, music…everyone likes music.
Here goes: The following is the opinion of a cranky old man who can actually sing on key about 40% of the time.  Opposing opinions are welcome, and might actually be valid.  As always, please, no name calling, and that means you, you big stupid-head!

I have always contended that I like all music with the possible exception of RAP, which by the way stands for Rhythm And Poetry if you ever get a ride in the Cash Cab (love that show). I even like some RAP music.  How do you not love lyrics that can rhyme “fussin” with “Robotussin”?  After listening to some dude yell and I mean yell with anger “Where Brooklyn at?” I even got into that lovely tune.
So yes, I love all music.  I like classical, I enjoy that blind opera singer, I love rock and roll, I love it all…OK, I don’t like the music in “Musicals” where they sing all the dialog, but in all of those shows the music sounds alike and it is clearly crap.  No, not “The Music Man” and “The sound of Music” and those where they go from dialog to breaking out in actual songs, I mean the musicals where EVERYTHING is put to music, or a facsimile of music.  So, except for “Musicals” which are really not music, I like all music, even some RAP.
Or so I thought.
Recently Mrs. C has been tuning into a channel that replays the old Ed Sullivan Shows.  Great fun, but he has on every show at least one trained vocalist singing old 1940’s/50’s big band songs.  I’m sorry, but to me it is awful.  Maybe 50 years ago that style was entertaining, and sure there a few songs which stand the test of time, but most are horrible. 
The singers are great I am sure, but they try too hard to show off their range and power, it is just not toe tapping music, and every single one ends with the grand finally; arms out wide, carry the last note forever and sing it really loud…yuck!
So, if you are a lover of the crooning style and music of the likes of Peggy Lee, Theresa Brewer, Polly Bergan, Rosemary Clooney, Vic Damone, Della Reese, Dina Shore, and Jane Morgan don’t hate me, it is OK, knock yourself out and enjoy a CD of their greatest hits.
I bet you can’t find any.
The preceding was the opinion of a cranky old man and not necessarily that of management…Mrs. Cranky.

14 comments:

  1. Musicals where all the dialog is sung: isn't that called opera? I find that rather annoying too, years ago there was an episode of the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer that was titled The musical episode and the entire thing was dialog put to music. I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your dislike of musicals....which is why I've never been excited about Broadway plays, or musical movies.

    Cash Cab is coming back! I didn't realize until recently that there were re-runs. Love Ben Bailey, especially when he hunches over and mumbles to the folks getting into his cab....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely the odd man out here. I like very little music. I do enjoy old school rock and roll, a tiny bit of C&W, some of the new school stuff (ex: Enya), and soft jazz. Anything besides that and I just pretty much tune it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music is not a huge part of my life.....maybe once a month or so I'll put on a CD. The hubs talks through it and I end up turning it off.
    I do get a kick out of those rappers waving their arms around though...funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take the crooners over jazz. I just can't deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old stuff that I grew up with, and a bit of the new stuff. I love classical and the big band sounds. I HATE Rap. Disrespectful on steroids.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an all music lover, too. I do really like the old Standards from the 40's and 50's, but agree with you about watching them being performed, except for Johnny Mathis, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennet, even like Louie Prima! Grew up with music playing all day on the folks stereo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's tough to come up with sh*t to talk about that isn't going to piss off somebody or other. As long as it's no longer than about a thousand words or so, I figure you can rant on about just about anything you'd like.
    I'm pretty open when it comes to *most* music, with the exception of some of the 12 tone scale stuff from the likes of Schoenberg. And of course, if you play me something from today that sounds suspiciously like it was ripped off from something written in the sixties?? Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mostly the 70s Rock and Roll, Classic Rock, and some Country, musicals like you described are not my cup of tea, if one of those start up I'm going to be like Bob Seger and Turn the Page...yeah I like that song really well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, i could find their CDs, and enjoy them, at least in moderation. The only music i do not like is some of the heavy metal #2 Son listens to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a few of our doctors that I work with we get along really well. Dr. M is one and she gave me 2 tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera that was being performed at our local high school. When I told Jack about it he immediately gave me a list of people I should ask to go with me. He wasn't on the list. I gave him the "please" eye..how can we insult her when she's being so nice and the performance is sold out...blah, blah, blah. So he went. Opera singing through the whole thing by teenagers. OK, the kids were awesome and the orchestra was too. But Jack looked like he was getting a root canal. When intermission arrived he went out hoping to get a hot dog. I told him it wasn't like going to the b-ball games when our kids were there. Anyway...I understand your feelings about some music. But hey, Rosemary Clooney does a nice Christmas album...just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a country fan but on the whole I used to enjoy most music styles. I cannot, CANNOT stand the screeching that passes for singing these days. Thank goodness I have plenty of memories plus CDs of old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks to my changing moods that i enjoy each kind of music time to time

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you, I like most music but had issues with rap. Until they played it at the gym during the "body pump" class. It's very fitting music for that!

    ReplyDelete