Monday, September 21, 2015
I Think I’ll Skip Dubai
I Think I’ll Skip Dubai
Dubai is often talked about as the place to vacation in the Middle East. It has modern buildings and hotels, relatively low crime rate, a welcoming populace, entertainment and a relaxed atmosphere…compared to Tehran.
I see photos of golf courses and swimming pools, beaches and smiling faces that make Dubai look like a fun vacation destination. Then I just read a piece on 12 things not to do in Dubai.
This article starts with a brief description of why Dubai is such a great place to visit, and then adds as a caveat a few things to avoid as a tourist.
1. Do not do drugs. This sounds easy enough except apparently what you may not think is a drug, they may disagree in Dubai…so you might want to skip the Claritin, it is better to just sniffle and sneeze.
2. Don’t drink in public. You can imbibe in certain hotels if you obtain licensed permission, but do not take a drink in public, and do not leave the hotel if you are intoxicated…like people who are intoxicated would remember this little tip.
3. Watch what you wear, or don’t wear. Do not go topless; even dudes must wear a shirt on the streets.
4. Do not smoke, eat, or drink anything in public during Ramadan, which I believe is from sunup to sundown in any month with an “R.”
5. If you smoked marijuana in the last several weeks, stay out of Dubai, you will fail a drug test and face incarceration.
6. Do not cheat in golf. Failure to charge yourself a stroke for grounding your club in a hazard is disrespectful and subject to floggings.
7. The left hand is considered dirty. If you are left handed, you need to learn to learn to use your right hand in public.
8. No public displays of affection. This does not just mean sex or heavy petting, a peck on the cheek or holding hands can land you in trouble.
9. If you are gay, this is frowned upon in Dubai. You might want to learn to be straight before booking a visit. Perhaps talk to a few left-handed people for hints in learning to make simple changes.
10. Watch your wallet, crime is relatively low, but I’m not sure what it is relative to.
11. Do not take picture of locals without permission, particularly the local women.
12. Do not urinate. Urination is considered unclean in Dubai, hold it in, and plan only short stays.
I like vacationing where the climate is warm, and the atmosphere relaxing. I hear the climate in Dubai is lovely, but I think I might have difficulty relaxing. On the plus side, I hear their jails are the most modern in the mid-east and the floggings are relatively mild.