NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Well, Wadda Ya Know?


Well, Wadda Ya Know?
My mind is like a sieve.  Information in…information out.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200, names and facts just disappear.  When I am introduced to someone I forget the name before I release my handshake grip.  My mind is a sieve.

I remember things about a person, but I am no good at names.

“You know, the black dude with the African sounding name.  Smart guy, good speaker, from Hawaii, was a senator, he’s now President of the United States…”

“You mean Barack Obama?”

“Yeah him.”

“You’re an idiot.”
Peoples names, movie titles, dates, historical facts almost all information goes right through the sieve.

What is surprising is the bits of information that occasionally get caught in the sieve.

I know that Tom Hanks first starred in the TV show “Bosom Buddies.”

I even know that his female interest in that show was named Donna Dixon and she is married to Dan Aykroyd.

I know that the name of the song that most people think is “Flower Girl” is really “The Rain, The park, and Other Things.” I have no idea what group recorded the song.

Years ago while watching “Jeopardy” the final jeopardy question was “He invented the helicopter.”  As a joke, I just blurted out what I thought was a funny name, “Who was Igor Sikorsky?”

The answer was of course, Igor Sikorsky.  Where did that bit of information come from?  Weird.

I know that the first time Goldie Hawn was on television she was the wacky neighbor in a short lived show, “Good Morning World.”

I know that the Ivy League is named not for the Ivy on the hallowed walls of the fine universities in the league, but because the league was first comprised of four teams, IV, Roman numeral for four.

I know that Mickey Mantle won the Triple Crown in 1956 batting 353, with 130 RBI’s and 52 home runs.

My seventh grade teacher was Miss Chiriella.

The chemical symbol for salt is NaCl, gold is Au.

That is it, everything else made it through the sieve.

Every once and a while a question arises where the knowledge of these few facts makes it seem like I am smart.

Most of the time it is painfully obvious that I am an idiot.

26 comments:

  1. I'm great at pub quizzes - I know nothing about music, films or sport but I do know obscure stuff like ... well, I can't actually think of anything right now but believe me, I know stuff!

    SD never remembers peoples names, he knows so many people but can never introduce me because he only remembers them by the cars they drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's why Jeorpardy is my favourite show. Got the same affliction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slope of a line is y=mX+b...

    but I can't remember my current address. :-\:-\

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't see this as a problem, being the same way. It's just your brain sorting and discarding info to prevent overload. You know the saying about keeping an open mind.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there is my problem. I don't have a sieve. This explains why I know nothing. Thanks for clearing that up.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the answer!! From an old post: If you subscribe to the theory, as I do, that the brain is like a computer, then you know that it has a finite number of memory bytes. As we age, gravity pulls these memories down, filling first our feet, then our legs, our bellies & butts (which would also explain why many older people seem to have gained weight in these areas) & boobs (which is probably what causes sagging) & finally reach our brains, which eventually become full. Since humans don’t have a DELETE key, there is simply no room for new memories. This is why we people “of a certain age” can remember who sat next to us in the third grade but have no idea of what we ate for lunch yesterday. We are NOT forgetful—WE ARE SIMPLY FULL!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never was good with names, and after the stroke I lost faces, too. So much less to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Joe, I can relate to this post so much, things I remember my wife mostly shakes her head at and does the same for all the things I should have remembered.

    I have a new address for my blog drop by when you can. http://jimsop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. useless minutia is sometimes good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can sympathize. I often forget my own phone number, and several times when I was an illustrator clients would call and ask for my Social Security number for their billing department and I'd tell them I had to answer the door and I'd call them back. Then I'd go look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you said is true...... When I am introduced to someone I forget the name before I release my handshake grip.
    Same here......so I tell that person, "don't tell me your name, I am not going to remember it"

    ReplyDelete
  12. It happens to all of us, J - - - -, uh, J - - - -. Oh, whatever your name is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, uh, who was my 3rd grade teach again?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am convinced that we have just reached our memory limit .No more free space is available. We need to clear the brain of unnecessary crap we will never need or use, defragment and reboot. Hopefully someone who still has their wits about them will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm terrible with names. My dad used to be terrible with movie titles. Example: the Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep movie "Death Becomes Her." He called it "She Looks Good Dead."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am an absolute idiot when it comes to names. I'll quote some arcane baseball statistic to MY WIFE and she will immediately shame me by saying, "OK, name your cousins." I leave the room grumbling with my tail tucked between my legs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will not forget the Simpsons. Other than them, my mind is also like a sieve. When it comes how much I paid for something I like , I tell my husband please don't aks me the price.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where did you find that picture? I want to send it to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the problem where things get in, but there's no exit! That makes for clutter! I KNOW I know it, I just can't find the answer among all the mess....song lyrics, Movies titles, current events, product jingles, cartoon theme songs from 40 years ago...really, sometimes I'd like a sieve! That way I'd never have to remember the pro wrestler Pampero Firpo was billed as the "Wild Bull of Pampus" and the 8th. wonder of the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Rain the Park and Other things was sung by The Cowsills.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to be so good at names, now I'm with you, I forget them before we're done shaking hands and exchanging pleasantries. That's why I was glad one church we went to had name tags, everyone wore one, easy to keep track of names then.

    Older I get, the more the memory goes.....that's all I got to say

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so know where you are coming from... wherever that is -- I remembered it...

      Delete
  22. I like the sieve analogy. I'll have to use it.
    And who knew, besides you, that the Ivy League stemmed from Roman numeral IV. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm the same way with names.. gone before the next sentence is uttered. But I have a pretty good mind for trivia. I vaguely remember Good Morning World but I think I confused it with another show from that time - My World, And Welcome To It. I do know that it was the Cowsills singing.. and now that song is running through my head.. less room for other things.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maybe you just remember things that interest you? Or facts are more important to you than names? I'm weird about recognizing faces, especially if I see someone outside of the usual place(s) I see them, and numbers are my downfall. I can remember names, everyone's likes/dislikes, what day of the week any holiday will fall on in the next few years, but don't ask me to remember a phone number or address. It's not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah, the mind is a funny thing. I can't remember my husband's social security number, even though we've been married 25 years. However, I still remember my ex-husband's. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete