NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Bit of Nostalgia


A Bit of Nostalgia
A mister James Sullivan, of once prolific blogging fame “Suldog”

http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/, recently posted on Facebook something that kicked on my nostalgia button.  You know, that part of your brain that out of nowhere flashes weird memories…some good, some bad, some just memories.

He asked about the first recordings anyone had purchased.

I was flooded with memories.  Memories of late 1950’s 45 records.  Memories of late 1950’s parties.  Memories of being young, memories when girls became interesting, and memories of a whole new social world opening up.

That world was opened up by 45 records.  Rock and roll records and rock and roll dancing…with girls!  We did something called the Lindy.  I have no idea why it was called that.  I have no idea how we learned.  Left foot, right foot, one foot back, then front again.  There were spins and double spins and an arms over arms slide.  Hell, I never could dance worth a lick, but I didn’t care.

Then they played slow music.

Ah, the slow dance quickly morphed into lights out in the basement and pairing off with your best girl.  We tangled tongues and there may have been some over the blouse touching.   Lights usually went on after parents did not hear the Lindy going on for a bit. 

Time for refreshments.

Anyway, Suldog was asking if we could remember the first records bought, not our first make-out parties, sorry, I have no control of how the memories kick in. 

What?

Sue…that’s all I’m saying.  Cranky don’t kiss and tell.

So, the first record I ever purchased was either “Party Doll” by Buddy Knox, or “I’m singing the blues” by Guy Mitchell.  I don’t remember the flip side of either, but I do still remember both recordings.

The records were purchased at a small local record store.  I’m pretty sure all they sold were records, and maybe the portable 45 record players that every 13-year-old in 1959 owned. 


I remember you could play the record in a small booth before making the purchase, pretty sure each record sold for under fifty cents.

We played a lot of records in those booths before making a purchase that serious.

So that’s it with the way-back memory machine.  Good times, scary times for brains that were just starting to experience totally new feelings.  Times where we just followed our hormones and there was no road map.

Dang we were naïve.  We had no early school classes on what we were going through.  Movies were pure, internet was about 40 years away, and most of our information came from older kids who made a lot of stuff up.

We were way more innocent then kids are today.

I think we were lucky.



11 comments:

  1. What great memories! I remember my brother's first 45. It was the Beatles Hard Day Night. He went behind my mom's back to buy it but she did allow him to eventually keep it and listen to it. I never could dance. No rhythm. Looks like fun though.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very first record I ever bought was one by The Monkees, but I don't even remember which song it was. I remember Davey Jones was the singer, so probably Daydream Believer. I never did learn how to do all those dances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember my first 45. Probably something like "Brand New Key" in 1971. We went to Marler's Music Store, on Main Street, which was also good for getting the keys on my clarinet repaired. Not at all related to that song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful sharing dear Joe :)

    i enjoyed each single word and line
    life is different for people of different places but basic thoughts and emotions faced in certain parts of age are not different really

    yes i believe that being innocent is most valuable thing ,lucky who can save it and keep it along throughout their life
    if see carefully their lives are far different and calmer than whom are not on same path
    that calmness is reward :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, those were the days my friend, and as the song goes we thought they'd never end

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides Disney records, my first 45 was Philadelphia Freedom by Elton John. I think I still have it! Dancing for me meant clubbing in the '80's. Now that was a good time to be alive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "In the Still of the Night" by the Five Satins. Our school had a vocal group and I dated the guy that sang lead. They covered that song so I had to have it. It gave me goosebumps. I still have it only in digital and it is playing now from my music library. I just managed to go back 60 year in my mind. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shoutout! Yes, I firmly believe we (even taking into account whatever years separate our ages) grew up in a much better time. I could list a whole bunch of reasons but why bother? You know them, I know them, anyone who was there knows them, and the folks who don't know them will pooh-pooh them. But we know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm old enjoy to remember this too. I haven't thought about this in years. Wonder what else I can remember from back then.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Joe. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessed, that's what we all were. And i enjoyed 45s and LPs, and i even had some 78s.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is nostalgia for me. I remember listening to records in a store in a separate listening room before buying. I had a nice stash of 45s, lots of them tunes from American Bandstand. My best friends and I even drove one hour to an American Bandstand Dick Clark rock n roll show, my favorite song from the live show was The Wanderer.

    ReplyDelete