NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Voter Fraud


Voter Fraud
A cranky opinion for

CRANKY OPINION SATURDAY

The following is the opinion of a cranky old man with limited knowledge on the subject opined.  Opposing opinions are welcome, but they are wrong.  As always, please, no name calling, and that means you, you big stupid head!

First of all let me state, I do not believe voter fraud has played a part in our elections, at least not in major elections. (I suspect it is not that uncommon in local elections where small numbers of fake votes can make a large difference in an election.)  I do not think that Trump would have won the popular vote if not for voter fraud, nor do I care as that is not how the election rules work.

I do NOT want to make voting so difficult that is suppresses votes, even if it suppresses votes I do not agree with.  I want to see eligible voters vote…once.  I do think people should show proof of who they are before voting, I do not want to start a tiff over how that might be done, but it does worry me how easy it is to have voter fraud.

I think voter fraud is especially easy when we allow mail-in ballots and voting by computer from home. (Is that a thing yet?)

“Cranky, what makes you think voter fraud is easy?  Studies have debunked that issue time and time again.”

First of all, anyone who reads this blog should know by now how much faith I have in “studies.” Often the result of a study is directly related to the result desired by the person or group that paid for the study. NO, not all the time, but enough for me to be skeptical of studies.

Secondly, anytime you see the term “debunked” be suspicious.  Debunked is a dog whistle (I so wanted to use that stupid phrase) for not proven false, but there may be reason for doubt.

Here is my expertise on the subject that causes me to suspect voter fraud, if not rampant, is potentially a major issue.

I just received NJ election information that is sent to all registered NJ voters.  Mrs. C received the same information.  Mrs. C’s daughter also received mail that indicates she is registered to vote in NJ.

Mrs. C’s daughter lives and I assume votes in New York.  I don’t know how she is registered in NJ, possibly because she has some mail sent to our address.  Is this just a fluke?

Well years ago, after my first divorce I noticed when I went to vote that right behind me on the rolls and eligible to vote were my daughter and my ex-wife.  Thing is, my daughter was living in another state, had never lived at the address showing on the rolls, and the ex-wife was living in England and never lived at my address.  How were they registered?  I don’t know, but if it is so easy to be registered accidentally, then I can only imagine how easy it is to intentionally register and vote in multiple jurisdictions.

I pointed out the incorrect voter registration of my daughter and ex-wife to officials, and the actions required to have them removed required a lot of effort.  I did nothing as I know they didn’t vote, but I would not be surprised if they were still on the rolls and even though I have moved if I was as well.

If my ex-wife, daughter and now my step-daughter have been registered incorrectly to vote without even attempting to register, how difficult is it for anyone to intentionally register fraudulently and vote in multiple locations?  If it is so difficult to remove an ineligible voter from the rolls, how many dead people are still registered, how many people remain registered after they move and register at another location?

My mom had Alzheimer’s and my brother was allowed in the voting booth to help her vote the way we all knew she would have wanted to vote, but is this right?  Perhaps people who are not capable of voting should not be allowed to vote.

I often read of busses being provided to take old people to the polls.  That is very nice, but I wonder how many of them actually vote on their own.  I wonder how many vote the way the nice people who provide the bus suggest they vote.

I’m not claiming voter fraud is a problem.  I’m not saying it is running rampant.  I am saying it could be, it might be, and it would not be that difficult to assure that it does not become a problem.

I question the motives of those who do not want to take any steps to assure voting is honest.

The preceding was the opinion of a cranky old man and not necessarily that of management…Mrs. Cranky.

8 comments:

  1. The last time we went to the polls instead of using absentee ballot, it was a real sh*tshow. Lines were so long and unorganized, we could have easily voted numerous times because they were not using paper ballots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my Florida and Arkansas voting experiences have been a walk in the park. Showed my I.D. then sign the registration list beside my name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to show a state ID, and get crossed off the books as we vote. My voting place is in the basement of a country church. Not handicap accessible. I've seen men carry old ladies down the steps. Some probably stay home because of the inconvenience. I don't know if old folks will vote by computer or absentee.

    Anything electronic can be manipulated. ANY process can be manipulated, even paper ballots. Have you seen the movie "Election" with Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting for me to hear that Val and Patti have to show ID. In Jersey you just sign you name on the book by your name. I thought having to show ID was considered voter suppression.

      Delete
    2. We've always had to show ID here in the hinterlands. Even when I lived in my $17,000 house in town, and voted at the fire station. We also sign beside our name in the book.

      Delete
  4. We have to provide a valid picture ID issued by the state or a Military ID to prove we are who we say we are. There are people here who are angry about that, i have no idea why. The fact is, most of us just use a driver's license. If you don't have a driver's license, the state will issue you and ID card for free, all you have to do is go in with proof of who you are and ask for it.

    If you register to vote, you should be able to prove who you are to the state and get a free ID so you can then vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have to show our driver’s license here.
    That stops a lot of shenanigans.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't vote (not a citizens), but my husband always votes by mail-in ballot. No standing in long lines, and he researches all those amendments and what they really mean in the comfort of his place on the couch.

    I believe Oregon has ONLY mail-in voting. I wish Chubby Chatterbox was still blogging, he could weigh in on if that leads to more or less fraud.

    ReplyDelete