NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Monday, July 17, 2017

I MIGHT BE A PRICK!

I MIGHT BE A PRICK!
This cranky re-run is from June 2015...from the comments I m not the only one.

I might be a prick.  I don’t think I am a prick, but I just might be.  Why you ask, do I think I might be a prick?

I am not a wealthy man, but I can afford a buck.  Giving one dollar to a worthy cause will not affect my life style.  I should be willing to give a dollar to worthy causes, but apparently I am a prick.

Yesterday Mrs. C and I went grocery shopping.  When my bill was rung up, the cashier asked me, “Would you like to donate a dollar to the Something Something Blah Blah Blah FOR CHILDREN?

I have no idea what this charity was for.  All I heard was FOR CHILDREN.  What cause that ends in FOR CHILDREN would not be worth handing over a single dollar?  Probably none, except apparently I am a prick.

“No thank you, I don’t want to give a measly dollar to the Something Something Blah Blah BlahFOR CHILDREN, because I am a prick!”

The thing is, I just don’t like being hit up for a charity when I am not expecting it.  I don’t like that the store hits me up when I am running up a credit charge.  I don’t like the fact that I won’t be able to declare my contribution as a tax deduction, but the store probably will.  I give a buck and one million other blindsided customers give a buck and the CEO of the grocery store gets his picture in the paper handing over a tax deductable check for $1 million dollars. 

It just bothers me…but then I am a prick.

I give to charities from time to time.  I give to charities I care about, charities that hit close to my home.  If I give a buck to the store, it is one dollar less I have to give to my charities; so I say no and feel like a prick!

“No thank you, I don’t want to give a measly dollar to the Something Something Blah Blah BlahFOR CHILDREN, because I am a prick!”

After the grocery store we went to “Boston Market” to take home our dinner.  Checking out I was asked,

“Would you like to donate a dollar to the CHILDRENS FUND for something something?”

Mrs. C immediately pulled me by the arm, said no thank you and dragged me out of the store before I went on a rant to some poor 17 year old cashier who was only doing her job.

The next time I am asked for a dollar while checking out of a store I am going to ask to see the manager.  When he shows up I am going to ask him if he would like to donate a dollar to the Lustgarten Foundation to find a cure for pancreatic cancer.  If he says no I will just shake his hand and say “Well let’s just call it a draw then.”

If he says yes, I’ll do the same thing.

At least then I won’t feel like a prick.

20 comments:

  1. I think they are a scam. I don't mention it to the cashier. I just say No.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do this ever. I don't think it's appropriate. Not one bit. Don't feel like you did something wrong. You went in there for whatever you wanted, not to donate to something you know nothing about.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like it in the stores and I didn't like it at work either. Don't get me started on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like it either, for the exact reasons you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pet peeve is when the cashier at the dollar store asks if I want to buy something she has on the counter like school supplies or something else they overstocked. Wouldn't I have gotten that before I was checkung out if I really wanted it? Oh, I don't give that dollar either except when I renewed my drivers license I might have given a dollar for organ donation to help out the professional organ donors..you know, the motorcycle dudes who don't wear a helmet. But I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you 100% I don't have a problem giving to people and organizations that I know about, most of these you have no clue who they are and neither does the person asking for the buck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I give regularly to our local food bank, to a particular ministry I know and trust, to the local dog rescue where I got our dog, and to the Marine's Toys For Tots at Christmas time. They're all known to me and I know they don't have an 80% "fundraising" fee that sucks all the money out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like it either. I like to seek a charity, not them approach me. I usually say "Not today," which implies that I may have all ready or might tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd sooner hand a dollar to the alcoholic standing next to me in the convenience store at 11:00 a.m. who is "just a little short" for the half-pint of whiskey she inquired about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, i do give, and i keep the receipt so that i can count it off on my taxes. But i only do it one time, and then after that, i say that i already gave, because i did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well yeah, you are. Comes with the territory .... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These nickel and dime donations at registers can be annoying. We stick with a few of the major charities with good reputations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dislike being asked as well, and when I was on the working side of the checkout my friends and I all hated having to ask, but we were told to and spoken to if we didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like when they ask if you want to give the donation as past when you are okaying the transaction on the key pad so no one has to ask and its just between you and the machine if you do the donation or not. The cashiers have to "up sell" so can't blame them too much. I usually just want out of the store so I'll agree to anything and everything just to get processed and on my way.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where I live and shop there is usually (at weekends) a little army of uniformed young kids begging for money for something or other. I don't bother to ask what the cause is, and they're too young to press people into giving, relying I guess on their young ages. Whatever, I keep my money safe for a cause I want to give to.,

    ReplyDelete
  16. (*raising hand*)

    Me too, I guess. . .

    Back in the day, we had the annual United Way campaign at work, and the bosses leaned on us pretty hard to get 100% participation, but like the rest of y'all here, I prefer to do my giving to people and organizations I know who they are and what they're about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I give my dollars to the people in need that I can see for myself not some multi billion dollar so called charity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel the same way; does that make me a prickess?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What I want to say: I would if I could, but I don't want to.
    What I do say: No thanks.

    I'm a friendly prick then, no?

    ReplyDelete