NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

I REMEMBER NEW YEARS DAY

I REMEMBER NEW YEARS DAY
New Year’s Day in Southern California, when I was just a cranky young lad, was a big deal.  I don’t remember watching a ball drop at midnight, I don’t remember a big party or out of control drinking.  Not in my house.  I do remember New Year’s Day.

We lived just outside of Pasadena, and the Rose Parade was a big deal.  We did not watch on TV, we watched and shivered in person early in the morning.  We would park near the parade route in someone’s driveway or lawn for two bucks to a once-a-year entrepreneur.  There were grandstands where you could watch the parade.  They were expensive and required reservations months ahead of time.  Some peopled watched from climbing up a light pole, some climbed on their dad’s shoulders.  We watched from a dump truck.

WHAT?

Another once-a-year entrepreneur parked his dump truck strategically up to the avenue.  The bed of the truck was at semi-dump position providing a makeshift mobile grandstand.  I don’t remember how we sat, but it was rigged for sitting.

The floats were spectacular.  As a six year old I most remember the horses, and I’m pretty sure Roy Rodgers and Hop-a-long Cassidy were among the many riders.

I remember marching bands and flowers…lots of flowers.

Back at home there was football.  Four bowl games.  Four games on an eleven inch black and white TV.  During the regular season there was only one Saturday afternoon “Game of the week” on TV.  From Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day there was no football at all.  On New Year’s Day it was a football smorgasbord.   

There was the Cotton Bowl first, which overlapped with the Sugar bowl.  A six year old Cranky was stationed by the TV dial switching between channel two and seven on command so as to not miss a single play.  There was no instant replay, so this was a very important kid brother job.

The Orange Bowl was next and last but clearly the best was the Grand-Daddy of all the bowls, the Rose Bowl.  One year pops took my brothers to the actual “Rose Bowl” game.  I forget who played, but someone parachuted unexpectedly onto the field and delayed the game.  I never heard the end about how I missed that event.

When football was done, dinner was take-out Chinese. Nothing else was open.

Viewing the world’s greatest parade in person; watching four football games in one day and ending with spare ribs and chicken almond-ding…Priceless!

16 comments:

  1. The Tournament of Roses Parade is well worth watching in person at least once and it’s better if you’re young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year. I always watched the parade on TV from Montana. When football came on I disappeared to my room with my book. I still disappear into my book when Jim watches football but I occasionally look up to see a play or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
    ╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
    ║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
    ║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ NEW YEAR ☆
    ╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every game was a big game on New Years. Now it's mostly nothing special, even the Rose Bowl, as there are 50 different bowl games and the most important of them don't take place until later this week. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like that was a perfect day with great seats. The horses were always my favorite part also. Am a bit bummed this year. I no longer have ESPN so there will only be one game for me. Enjoy the day Cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound like the best memories. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must be a fabulous parade in person. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was telling SWMBO just yesterday about how the bowl games used to be the Orange Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Gator Bowl, etc. Now they all have sponsor's names in front of them. Except, we were both pleased to note, the Rose Bowl, which (so far) has placed some pride in dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memories that make us smile, reflect, and put the "Happy" in New year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did Alabama play in any of those games:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't remember childhood New Year's Eve or days, so I'm guessing nothing special happened. Most likely I spent those days and part of the nights at the beach and in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no New Year's Day memories, unless maybe watching some parades on TV. Wow! Not only were you AT the parade, but you sat in a dump truck to watch it! That's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That sounds absolutely perfect! What incredible, lost to the modern generation, memories you have. I was a channel switcher growing up too but there were 7 of us so we rotated. :) Happy New Year, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was growing up in the San Diego area, we did go to the Rose Parade one year; my first year working so that would have me be 18 years old. We didn't want to drive and try to find parking etc., so we took one of those bus trips with grandstand seats. It was neat to be that close up to the floats and not have to worry about parking, finding some place to watch it, etc. Always enjoyed it on the TV too. Now there are so many bowl games; kind of takes away the excitement of the Rose Bowl, but that is always a favorite of mine to watch.

    Happy New Year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. the only entertainment was our first black and white tv which would start at 3pm afternoon to till 12 am

    my parents would watch news from only national channel and we would wait for news which would broadcast at 9 pm ,anchor will share the summery of major events in the country and whole world and this was our biggest source of being aware and being happy and way to well come new year

    dear Joe it is blessing to read your wonderful blog ,it lifts my spirit !
    i became late to read (total my Loss!!!)
    wishing you a happy new year filled with health ,peace and happiness,amen!

    ReplyDelete