NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Friday, January 31, 2020

NO SNOW FOR YOU!!


NO SNOW FOR YOU!!




As often happens when I am lacking material on which to post, a fellow blogger’s post gets me fired up.  In this case it was that lovely lady  blogger Arkansas Patti. 

https://thenewsixty.blogspot.com/2020/01/snow.html

Patti complained that her winters were snowless.  She loves the snow and asked her readers about their feelings for the cold white stuff.

Almost all of the comments she received were along the lines of

“You can have my snow, I hate the stuff!” 

Some people admitted to liking the first few flakes but then hated the stuff and all the problems it brings.

I contend that snow is just one of those things you are supposed to claim you hate.  It is socially incorrect to not hate snow. 

Better to remain a closet snow lover than upsetting someone who does not like the stuff.  If Gallop took a pole on like/dislike snow it would be 80/20 against.  If there was an anonymous vote, it would be 80/20 in favor!

Now I have to admit that sometimes snow can be inconvenient, especially getting to work or causing a change of plans.  Shoveling the stuff can be difficult.  Slipping in it is an issue, and getting stuck in traffic or a snow drift while on the road is aggravating.  In some instances getting caught in a storm off guard is dangerous.

Still, all things considered, I love the snow.  

Lately in my area of “North Central South Jersey” we have had almost no good snow falls in the last few years.  DAMN that global warming!

All the disagreeable things related to snow are cancelled out by it’s wonder.  A good snow turns a humdrum brown landscape into a magical winter wonderland.  Children’s eyes grow with excitement during a good snow. 

My memories of a good snow are of watching it slam by the streetlight at night and hoping for a no-school snow day in the morning.

I even liked getting out in the morning and clearing the driveway and walk (hey, I was once young and strong) sometimes even helping out neighbors…if they offered a dollar, so much the better. 

A good snow storm brings out the best in people.  There is a certain comradery in everyone sharing the same inconvenience and also the same joy that a good storm brings.

On a  normal day walking around my neighborhood people do not say hello, they just go about their way, not in an unfriendly way, just in a minding ones own business kind of way.

After a good storm strangers wave to each other.  They stop and chat.  They sometimes offer to help.  

Ah, snow…sledding down a hill, building a fort or a snowman, snowball fights, skiing, just the memory of these things makes me smile.

Most people moan and complain about how much they hate the snow.

I believe many secretly love and enjoy all that it brings…they are just afraid to say it out loud.

Some readers may disagree.  They will comment that they genuinely hate the snow with a passion. 

I hear you, I understand…(wink, wink!)




13 comments:

  1. "Hating snow" is the new "I don't watch TV except for PBS."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't snow here so I'm good. It snowed where I lived when I was a kid, but I didn't have to work clearing it so I didn't care either. I'm guessing at my age falling down in the show would be a problem.

    If Gallop took a pole. I laughed out loud.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Joe. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once people were very angry with me because I had built such a big snowman in my front garden. It took all the snow from our street to build it. Every garden, driveway and sidewalk in the street had been cleaned by me to make this giant snowman. When it eventually melted it caused a flood and they were angry once again. You can't please some people.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, we really do hate it, but if you've never lived in a lake effect snow area, you wouldn't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living in Montana, I'm not sure I hated it. I respected it and feared it, LOL, if I had to drive in it. I actually liked shoveling it. Something so soothing to look back at a freshly shoveled driveway and sidewalk!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Up heah in Maine, in December I look forward to it, by February I am calling it white shite. It is more the clean-ups that I hate, snowblowing, shoveling, roof raking and all that stuff. I do love a gorgeous snow covered scene and being able to identify tracks of critters coming to visit the house is nice. But snow in March...well I prefer the green growing grass :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A long Winter does wear you down. As much as I love snow, after February I am done. March snow is too sloppy to be fun or pretty. I should have listed as another great thing about snow is that it makes Spring extra nice.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of snow and the prettiness of it, but I don't like the inconvenience it causes for those who live with snow and I know for sure I could never handle that level of cold.
    Every time I read someone who hates the snow I wonder why they don't move to where it doesn't snow. And vice-versa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like snow but am disappointed this year. Not one flake can be seen, but the sun is shining like there was no tomorrow. It's all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i enjoyed this post so much and agree all you said here dear Joe

    i agree that sometime people have to be careful in expressing their likes and dislikes due to majority opinion can be confronted by doing so

    i love rain and i starve for snow as no snow around here ,no matter how mess they bring along i cannot say i don't like them or wait for them because i do

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely said, Joe... and I'll admit I enjoy the snow a lot more now that I'm no longer required to go anywhere in the morning :) Now if it would just snow here in Pittsburgh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the shout out Joe. You're definitely preaching to the choir here. So happy that you and I are on the same page and are unashamed to admit our love of the white stuff. Sadly, it is going to reach 70 degrees here tomorrow. Boo hiss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The problem is that we swamp creatures, and our plants, are just not set up to live through lots of snow. When it does happen, it stops everything as we just don't know how to drive in the stuff.

    ReplyDelete