NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Saturday, January 18, 2020

GETTING WINDOWS READY DON’T TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER


GETTING WINDOWS READY DON’T TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER



I hate when my computer decides to update.  Why will it not just do whatever needed update it does on my schedule…like let me say “OK, but three hours from now” or “NO!, I’m happy with everything now.”

Because

Sometimes when they update my computer I don’t like the changes.  I have to get used to a slightly different screen.  I am old, old people do not like change.

Even worse is when you need to check something quick and the machine tells you it is updating and DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER.

“Joe hurry up we are late to the movie.”

“Just give me 30 seconds, I want to check the weather for later on tonight.”

“OK, but hurry up.”

WINDOWS IS UPDATING, DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

“Crap!”

“What?”

“Windows is updating.”

“So don’t worry about the weather, turn it off and lets go.”

“It warns me do not turn off the computer.”

“You don’t listen to me but you listen to the computer?”

“The computer scares me more than you do.”

“Tun it off, we’ll miss the previews and the direction for getting out of the theater if there is a fire!”

“OK, but I hope this doesn’t screw up my computer.”

When this happens, I also think about what if I REALLY needed my computer?

When I read a Dean Koontz action novel, the hero is always pulling up information from his computer remotely from his car while being chased by the bad guys.  He gets GPS information, alerts police and even hacks into traffic lights to change signals in his favor. 

Well not every book, but in a bunch.

Anyway

If these novels were real, the hero would get:

MICROSOFT UPDATING MAY TAKE SOME TIME DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER.

That never happens.  I guess that is why they call it fiction.




17 comments:

  1. I don't see much difference when they update things. It always seems to come at the most inopportune time; almost like the computer and Microsoft know you have plans.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a result of being in the middle of a blog post last year (it was the last straw) and Windows 10 decided it was going to do an update even though I had all the setting changed to make it so it wouldn't do it. I left Win10 and moved over to a Chromebook, privacy might be an issue - it is Google, but the damn thing works without messing with my mind or getting me in trouble with the missus. Her laptop is still Win10, so she whine about things while I just work on mine. Choices on convenience, ease of use or privacy. Since I don't believe there is any once you log onto the darn things, it really doesn't matter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those updates can take forever.

    But wait, theaters give fire exit info?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're still here, so I guess turning off your PC didn't hurt it, and you got to the theater in time for the fire directions, or else there wasn't a fire.

    I just got a message that as of January 14, my PC is no longer supported. I will no longer get updates. Is that a bad thing? It also had a recommendation to upgrade to Windows 10 ON A NEW PC. For now, I'm taking a chance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your actual PC should still be supported, just your current version of windows won't be. They just want you to spend money on a new PC that already has windows 10 loaded. Just go ahead and download a free version of Windows 10 and get used to it, it isn't that hard. And you have Genius and The Pony to talk you through it.

      Delete
    2. As Joe says, old people don't like change! I deliberately made Genius set up my computer so that it would not automatically update to Windows 10. It kept trying! I think it has a mind of its own. Genius built my computer for me, so I figure it's sound enough. I've been running Windows 7 Professional, I think. Which I barely accepted, kicking and screaming, after weaning myself from Windows Vista. Yes. I know I'm living in the Flintstones age...

      Delete
  5. Why would you need to check the weather for later because you are going out? don't you already know what the weather will be like? Pretty much the same as when you are leaving home I'd think. Anyway, Mrs C doesn't need to worry about how to get out if there is a fire, just follow everybody else.
    When I get that message on my screen I just go off and make coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe weather does change quite a bit around here in a short time, but OK, "I need to check the score of the Knicks game" And if we don't see the chart to get out in a fire, what if no one else does, who would we follow and maybe we would follow the wrong person and damn, i do such at satire.

      Delete
  6. Had to laugh how you listen to the computer but not Mrs. C:)) I still have Windows 7 so I won't be getting any from now on. The last one I got on the 12th which was right before they kicked me to the curb. It was 5 parts and took hours to install. Lord only knows what they did to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I NEVER turn off the computer when it says so on the screen. I just un-plug it from the electric socket.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have to clock in at work on the computer. The biggest pain is when your password has expired. I'm usually on time for work but this drives me nuts and makes me late! I'm always glad there's no baseball bat anywhere near the computer.. either at work or home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They know there is no good time, just like there is no good time for a flat tire, so they just do it and don't worry about us. Same as the tires that go flat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My updates seem to know when I am not going out!!!!! How lucky is that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I schedule all of that for the middle of the night. My settings are locked in so thankfully no issues. My sister's computer would do what yours does and the updates did sometimes change the way things were. That was frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. “The computer scares me more than you do.”

    HAAAAAAAAA



    That never happens because he's probably using a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha hero would never be able to hero if it happens to him haha

    my eldest son has installed update system so it does when required and i wait until it's done

    ReplyDelete