NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Sorry Wrong Number


Sorry Wrong Number


The other day I got a wrong number call.  I only picked up the caller whose number I did not recognize because they called twice in short succession. 

RT - Why do we say “they” called?  It is almost always only one person on the other line.  Why do we say line, most calls today are cellular?)

It dawned on me that I could not remember the last time I have received a wrong number call.

It used to be fun to toy with wrong number callers, when they were persistent, and they generally did call back, as they did not know if they were given the wrong number or if they dialed incorrectly.

See blogger friend Victor http://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2020/01/another-phone-call.html

“Is Frank there?”

“Still no.”

Or

“Just a minute…’FRANK!’...he does not seem to be here, probably as I live alone.”

Sometimes the caller used to get angry that you were not the person he wanted.

“Sorry there is no Frank here.”

“Are you sure, he gave me this number?”

“I’m positive.”

“Why would he give me this number?”

“I don’t know.”

“DAMN! click

Or

“Sorry, no Frank here I think you have a wrong number.”

“What number is this?”

“The number you dialed twice.”

“Is this 908-555-0123.”

“Yes.”

“I must have been given the wrong number.”

“Duh!”

“ click “

I think we no longer get wrong numbers because people do not just give their number to others verbally, they just call the person and say,

“There, now you have my number.” 

Incorrect redial errors are thus not even possible.

Also today all incoming numbers are displayed.  If I don’t know the number I seldom even pick up as most are robocalls and if it is an important message, they can leave that important message after the beep.

As much as I don’t miss “wrong numbers” they were better than the humpy-million robocall and telemarketers we get today.

For sure I don’t miss being on the wrong end of a wrong number, and being just as stupid as the guy above asking for Frank.  It was always really embarrassing, and annoying when the receiver would play games at your expense. 

Yes, karma was a bitch!


15 comments:

  1. Also, nobody calls any more to ask if I have Prince Albert in a can. What if I did? He'd have suffocated by now! Nor do they call to ask if my refrigerator is running. Without their advice to go catch it, FRIG II could be halfway to Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never answer calls on the land line because I don't like rubbish callers. Everyone else knows to ring me on the mobile. I sometimes thing I should sling the land line but can't because it's connected to a emergency number that would provide an ambulance if I was in serious trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, I got a wrong number call yesterday from a pharmacy. 'They' seemed shock that Kevin didn't live here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you made me realize it has been a looong time since I recieved a wrong number. Caller ID is robbing me of some fun times at the expense of a fumble fingered dialer or victim of a prank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best way to deal with a wrong No.... "It's done, there's blood everywhere...." Or so I've read somewhere ore other. Yeah that' it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true now that I think of it; its been awhile since I got a wrong number call. Sometimes i get wrong texts but those are far and few between. What annoys me is when we had our landline we always got calls asking for this or that person and you knew it was collection agencies. They didn't seem to believe me when I said that there was no one there with that name and gave our name. I did notice Verizon lately has call filter which will identify potential spam calls.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duh for sure. Sometimes they just won't admit that cute blonde gave him the wrong number. Just saying.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get wrong # is Spanish and sometimes just plain stupid people. Glesn555 gave the best answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When people call and I’m not who they were calling, they often say, Who is this?
    I always say
    I don’t know, I can’t see you.

    I got that from an episode of the little rascals when the principal was calling to see why Spanky wasn’t in school and Spanky answered the phone.
    It was hilarious then and it’s pretty funny now:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've gotten wrong number texts. I text them back and tell them I'm not who they think I am. I don't usually get a response back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Yaya, i've gotten wrong number texts. As for why we use "the singular they" now, it's because we do not have a gender neutral term in English suitable for an individual. The word "it" is used for animals and things, not people, and it gets tiresome to say "he or she" over and over.

    e.g. "They called twice in quick succession," is faster than writing or saying, "He or she called twice in quick succession."

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only time I got a wrong number was shortly after moving into a rental property and the phone company gave us a new number that used to belong to a brothel and several times in one night sailors called to let the brothel know the ship was in and the boys were ashore, which is why I assumed they were sailors. I had the number changed the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to know why Publisher's Clearing House hasn't been calling me. I'm so upset! Actually, I rarely answer the phone unless the planets are in the right alignment and I woke up on the right side of the bed, so you see I chances are slim to nil that the telephone will get answered...besides, that's what's voicemail is for, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omgosh. I used to give out a co-worker's number every time some creeper guy asked me for mine. I didn't like my co-worker... I do miss the satisfaction of being able to slam a phone down or just call and listen to that cute guy in Science class breathe. Hahahaha. I'm with you. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer and sometimes if I DO recognize it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. i never picked up wrong number dear Joe
    thank goodness that on land line wrong numbers are obvious and on cell phone allfamiliar are saved by names so no wrong number for me either :)

    ReplyDelete