NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Going, Going…GONE!


Going, Going…GONE!
Mel Allen, Voice of the Yankees!


Watching the Yankees the other night, one of the announcers said something mildly stupid.  It went right over my head as baseball announcers say stupid stuff all the time.  The game is, after all, three plus hours of occasional activity.  There is a lot of fill time for an announcer and they are bound to say something stupid from time to time.

Mrs. C noticed the comment right away,

“Well that was stupid, of course when the home team makes the last out in a game, they also lost the game.  Who is that idiot?”

First of all, kudos to Mrs. C for knowing sports, but the announcer was Ken Singleton, a baseball great of some years ago, and one of my favorite announcers.   He has a calm style and demeanor, a good sense of humor and terrific knowledge of the game.  Plus, he played under manager Earle Weaver for several years so he has a never-ending supply of baseball stories.

This is Ken’s last year of announcing, he retires after the season.  I’m going to miss him.  Baseball fans do get attached to their teams’ announcers.

The Yankee radio announcer, John Sterling, is a real corker.  King of the dumb comment always followed by his sarcastic follow up “OBVIOUSLY.”  I disliked Sterling for years, now I can’t wait for his home run call.  “It is high, it is far, it is GONE!”  Followed up by a specific call for each batter.  “Home run, Didi Gregorious, leaves Yankee fan’s euphorius!”  When Gleybor Torres hits a home run, it is “Gleybor Day!”

You get the idea, he is a piece of work who grows on you.

I loved Phil Rizzuto.  He was like the Grandfather everyone wants.  All his announcer partners always made fun of him for his “home team favoritism,” and his exuberance.   It was not a Yankee game without a few calls of “Holy Cow!” and a few people called a “Huckleberry.” Phil just oozed niceness.

My favorite Yankee announcer of all was Mel Allen.  He had the perfect baseball announcer pace and voice, enough timber and excitement to keep you awake, but not so much as to seem forced.  He advertised “Ice cold Ballantine Ale” but always called it Ballantime with an ‘M’.  He had the classic home run call,

“That ball is going, going GONE!”

 If it was radio you were on the edge of your seat as some times it would be

“That ball is going going…going to be CAUGHT!”

As great as Mel Allen was, I most remember his last year of announcing.  I’m not sure, and as a youngster, it did not occur to me, but looking back I’m pretty sure Mel had more than a few Ballantimes during games.

Of all the great Mel Allen stories and home run calls, all the baseball history that he relayed to his listeners, the call I most remember was a game against the Detroit Tigers.

Don Mossi, a great pitcher for Detroit was on the mound and in the sixth inning Mel made this call,

“Mossi on the mound, he is in the windup and... Mossi tossi!?...     … Don’t know why I said that folks, it just came to me; Mossi tossi!  Anyway it was  ball three.”

I’m pretty sure Mel retired soon after.

One of the great announcers in baseball history and I remember Mossi tossi.” 

I still miss you Mel along with Phil and soon to retire Ken Singleton…Thanks guys!

That’s it, not sure how I even got into this post.

Bloggy Woggy!  

12 comments:

  1. I’ll always remember Rizzuto as a shortstop.
    As much as I dislike the team from LA, I have to say Vin Scully is a splendid play by play announcer.
    Bill King, in Oakland, was really good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about baseball announcers, but after seeing Mossi tossi and Bloggy Woggy, I wonder if you have the Piggly Wiggly chain of grocery stores in your region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They must be quick thinkers to come up with stuff like that on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey dear Joe!
    believe it or not i miss reading you!

    i loved announcers commentary on radio more than t.v

    there were our favs too who used to amuse our desire for sense of humor
    but while watching t.v there were few who seemed irritating when they particularly targeted the female audience and topic was mostly their outfits and jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know nothing about baseball or announcers of any kind but it all sounds very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a couple of local team announcers i miss. There were a few from the NOLA area whose accents could not have been understood by anyone but a local.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't much of a sports fan, still aren't. I did like watching baseball with my stepdad. If you can find the movie Frequency with Dennis Quaid I think you might enjoy watching it, lots of baseball stuff. Always look forward to your post, never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Announcers can make a good game great and a bad game entertaining. I loved "going going…going to be CAUGHT" What a great save.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vin Scully was a god among announcers!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don’t listen to baseball much as my team The Braves have been in the basement for years but they look much better this year.
    I do love our college football announcer. He’s great.
    Since we’re winning these days, most of our games are televised so I don’t hear him as much as I used to but he is good.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember some announcers over the years. Some were good and some not so much. You'll have to warm up to someone else. I'm sure you will.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember Mel Allen from This Week in Baseball, back in the 70s/80s. It always felt like he was having fun with the game. . .

    During my brief sojourn in Chicago, I became acquainted with Harry Caray, first with the White Sox, then he moved to the Cubs. His "HO-LY COW!" call was legendary. . .

    Of course, here in Tiger-land we were privileged to listen to Ernie Harwell for virtually my entire adult life, I think into my 50s. His gentle Georgia accent, and his deep well of wonderful stories, just made his broadcasts a joy. His signature calls were, That ball is LOOOOOONNGG GONE!" when someone hit a homer or, "He stood there like the house by the side of the road and watched that one go by." when the batter took a called third strike.

    "Mossi-tossi"; heh. I remember Don Mossi, although I was only 5-6 years old when he was with the Tigers. Dude had the biggest ears I think I've ever seen. . .

    Went to a game between the Tigers and Orioles back in the 80s, when Ken Singleton was at his peak. He had the most amazing 0-for-4 I think I've ever seen. Hit three balls to the warning track, including one that Chet Lemon must have run a half-mile to chase down, and hit a line drive that would've killed Alan Trammell if he hadn't put his glove up for self-defense. We 'moved up' to some vacant seats next to the Orioles' dugout, and when Singleton came to the on-deck circle, we said, "Hey, Kenny, go easy on us, will ya?" He just smiled and said, "Can't do it, man. . ."

    ReplyDelete