NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

MEMORY LOSS?

MEMORY LOSS?

This cranky re-run is from February 2014

A growing fear that all of us citizens who can remember black and white TV and a five cent box of Chiclets have is that of losing our memory.
Alzheimer’s, or as my salon owner sister-in-law calls it, “Oldtimers,” is a very scary disease.  My mom suffered from this disability for several years.  It did not seem like much at first but it got progressively worse each year.  I often wonder what it must have been like to wake up every morning and not know where you were or how you got there and eventually even who you are.


This disease comes at you so slowly that as we age we worry over every little forgetful thing that years earlier would not have meant a thing.  We also see our younger loved ones worry that any small forgetfulness is the onset of a bigger problem.

My SIL, the editor, pointed out this situation recently.  She says sometimes she doesn't know something that her son told her because she wasn't paying attention and she doesn’t want to ask her son because she knows she should know and she knows he knows that she should know and she knows that if she asks him he will think that she has forgotten what she used to know and she knows he will worry…you know. (Pause, catch your breath.)

The truth is that often when our young loved ones explain something to us we do not forget what they say; we don’t listen in the first place because we are old enough to politely listen but actually ignore stuff when we don’t give a shit.  (OK, I promise no more ridiculously long sentences.)

So to all those young worriers, relax.  We worry enough for you.  In the meantime: 

If we watch the same TV show twice and don’t remember it, we probably don’t like the show and didn’t pay attention the first time because we did not give a shit.

If we forgot your birthday, we know the date; we just don’t give a shit.

If we don’t remember your telephone number, we never knew it, we just don’t care…hello... it’s on our phone.

Today is Thursday? I’m retired; the day of the week is meaningless to me and I …that’s right.

I know this is my second bowl of ice cream, I’m fat, I’m old, I don’t give a shit.

In general, if you think I am a victim of dementia, please don’t worry…well actually go ahead and worry.

I don’t give a shit.




17 comments:

  1. Spot on about the TV shows. If I like it I'm paying attention and remembering it, anything else is just blather in the background.
    I'm guilty of not paying attention too when people are talking, but usually admit it and ask what I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memory may be questionable but nobody can fault my notes - so long as I remember to write things down. It's easier than trying to convince folk I remember what they told me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real memory loss is a gradual thing, it sneaks up on you. When a person starts to connect the dots, it's too late. I wish I had written the story of my life when I could remember all of the details besides the punchline. (Or who delivered it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why, then they tell me something i know they will want me to remember, i write it down. Then i don't have to ask later, when i forget because i really didn't care much in the first place, i just go read whatever it was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The TV shows are a constant with us. dialogue....hubs "I think we've seen this one." me "I don't recall it." two minutes later, me.."Oh yes, I remember this segment. We have seen it." hubs "No, after watching it for a bit, I don't think I have seen it." So, we watch it anyway. As to remembering everything the kids tell us...well...we have enough crap of our own to remember without remembering all their crap as well. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We talk about this a lot as my MIL and my father bother suffer from memory loss. They also seem quite happy so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's often true that we don't forget EVERYTHING, but just those things we, as you said, "don't give a shit" about. That seems to show up about the 5th year of marriage. Have you noticed that, too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't give a shit either. This is very well done.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all worry, but we cannot worry it away, so perhaps it is best to just live one day at a time. I tell everyone around me that I am forgetful and that they need to be forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hum, wonder if that is why I record all my TV shows and instruct the DVR to record "First run only". Takes the guess work out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never understood that expression: I don't give a shit. Are we supposed to be giving shit away? Who to?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been posting a lot of reruns lately. Have you got a severe case of writers block or don't you give a shit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never forgotten a single thing!! My memory is perfect!! Why, just the other day...who's calling, please?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we all worry too much about ordinary forgetfulness. It's a common thing that happens with stress.

    Alzheimer's is NOT putting the cereal in the fridge and the milk in the pantry; Alzheimer's is putting the cereal in the fridge and the milk in the pantry and thinking that's the correct place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I read this whole thing and don't remember reading it in 2014. I assure you, though, I give a shit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read/heard some place that as we age it is common to have memory loss, but the problem is when we forget the common thing. Like we forget what a key is used for. It given my choice, I would rather have a physical disability and have my memory intact. I've seen both sides of the spectrum and think an intact brain is a bit better in my opinion than an intact body but "scattered" brain.

    betty

    ReplyDelete