NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Look out for the Indians

Look out for the Indians*
 This re-run is from February 2013

This is a story about my mom.  There is no particular reason for telling it other than it is a family favorite and I want to make sure it is captured in print as family lore.

I seem to tell more stories about my mom than I do of my dad.  My dad was a remarkable man, incredibly smart, strong, and trustworthy.  He was just a solid guy.  Mom was the Lucy to his Ricky.  Dad was interesting, mom was a hoot (GIYP.)

My father was a Chemical Engineer and the family moved wherever his job demanded.  In the 1940’s it took them to Tulsa, Oklahoma.  They had a small farm on the outskirts of the city, where they had horses and for spare cash they raised and sold vegetables that were grown in a “hydroponic” green house, one of the first in the country.

When they moved to Oklahoma, mom and dad were invited to a small “getting to know you” gathering.  Mom struck up a conversation with one of her new neighbors.

“So, we are from back east, where are you from.”

“Oh…my family has been in Oklahoma for over one hundred years.”

“Oh my goodness, how exciting.  I can’t imagine how it was as an early pioneer.  It must have been so difficult.  Weren’t they afraid of the Indians?”

“Oh I don't think so Ma’am; they were the Indians.”

That was the end of the story as my mom always told it.  I am sure she laughed and was not the least bit embarrassed.

I expect her “Indian” neighbor thought she was a hoot; everyone else did.
*feel free to substitute "Native American" if you wish...it just does not work the same for me. 

17 comments:

  1. That's interesting, as I am relatively new to your blog, it was a new story to me. You seem to have had an interesting childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BRD lived in Tulsa for a couple of decades but I don't think she had a story as good as that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heeheehee! It sounds like your mom was smart enough to laugh at life and herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...did they have any trouble with the pioneers? That would have been my next question lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun family story. I bet your mother really was a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mom sounds like my kind of gal! Not that I've ever said crazy things. Even if at times I've thought "Oh brother, I'm embarrassed to be me".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha. That's a fantastic story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of information in that one short story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this and I would have loved your mom. She was a hoot indeed.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. That story needed to be recorded. Well done and the brevity made it all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about the one with the Japanese guests? That one is really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GIYP? Girl in Yoga Pants? :)
    I had a feeling of where the conversation was going with the neighbor; however, picturing it as you told it, was still a LOL.

    ReplyDelete