NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Keyboard Backlight


Keyboard Backlight
 
I do most of my computer stuff at night, in bed.  We keep the lights off, or very low as there is also some TV watching going on.  That’s right, this cranky old man can multitask. 

For the last humpty-diddle years, this computer playing at night has been very difficult, especially when trying to write a post. 

My typing is not that good.  I can find most of the keys blind, maybe 85 percent.  Eighty-five percent looks like this.

I can khund most of the kets, 65 pervent/

Not awful, but not very efficient.  In order to see the keys which, I must do to hit at a higher percent of accuracy, I tilt the screen down to put light on the keyboard.

This works pretty well, actually it sucks. I can barely see the keys and it makes it difficult to see the screen.  I kinda need to see the screen.  Major dilemma.

So, for humpty-diddle years I have been typing at night with a tilted screen to see barely see the keys, and then an un-tilt to read what I have typed.

Not very efficient.  Actually, very annoying.

The other night I found this method to be extra annoying.

“Why can’t they have a lighted keyboard on my laptop!”

Mrs. C opined, “Maybe you can light the keyboard.”

“I don’t think so.  When the computer comes on the keyboard lights up, but then it goes off.”

“So. it has lights.”

“Yes, for about 12 seconds!”

“Google keyboard backlight.”

I googled keyboard backlight, and it seems you can turn on a keyboard light for some laptops.  YouTube instructions said Fn + Pf 5 would work…It did not.

I searched my control panel for “Keyboard light.”  Nothing.

This was really frustrating.  If some keyboards can be backlit, why not all.  Why not mine.

“Google keyboard backlight for Lenovo.”

“Good Idea!”

Bingo!!

For a Lenovo PC, Fn +Space-bar will turn on your keyboard light.

Eureka, it works. 

Do  I feel stupid for not figuring this out years ago?  Yeah, a little...but
You CAN teach an old crank new tricks.  It only took humpy-diddle years to think that just maybe the keyboard light could be turned on and off as needed, but at least I did figure it out.

Baby steps toward computer wizardry.

 

 

 

17 comments:

  1. Very informative. I guess I'll be up and testing tonight. Damn, I have two laptops, I wonder which one should try first. I guess if the iPad lights up his big relative has the right to copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there are all sorts of things my phone and computer can do that I will never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel good. You are far more computer advanced than most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i find this post really interesting and needed as this topic required attention unknowingly for me either

    this sounds relief that Lenovo has started to bring such keyboards in market ,our both laptop are Dell's and i don't know if they have such luxury

    it can be quite easy to write post at night in peaceful environment dear Joe :) as i can't write while t.v is On
    i need silence ,yea totally opposite to you way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You are a freakin' genius! Well, an assisted-by-Mrs.C genius. I'm impressed. I would have solved that problem by holding a mini flashlight in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have thought of this. Now I have to see if my keyboard will light up. Good for Mrs. Cranky for coming up with the right search for Google.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can now buy keyboards for PCs which light up. The keys alternate between different colours in sequence and it's like being in Las Vegas on your own keyboard. The lights can be bright or dimmed as you wish. You can attach this keyboard to your laptop and then place the laptop next to the TV so you can watch both screens as you wish simultaneously.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Acer (which is 5 years old) has a backlit keyboard. I just use Fn and the F9 button. I won't have another computer without it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best part is you have light on your laptop. Good for you.

    Have a fabulous day. ♪♫♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on figuring it out! Some people don't even think to look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a HP notebook...nothing happens when I try either remedy. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it grand when something you really really need/want/despair of ever getting is suddenly right there where it should be. Bravo. And be sure to thank your wife, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find out most things by going into "settings" and having a look around what's available in there. I'm pretty sure my keyboard has a lights setting, but I don't use it in bed much and when I do I have the bedside light on. mostly I turn it off right after I've eaten dinner, then the TV goes on so I can hear the news while I wash up the dishes. Bedtime is for reading a few chapters in whatever book I currently have going. I don't believe in bedroom televisions. I might change my mind if I was bedridden, but as long as I can stumble to the lounge room, that's where my TV will stay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Comment from MSJ09027 deleted due to unverified as safe web link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the sketchy link. It leads back to the "Let me Google that for you" site. IT people use it sarcastically all the time-

      http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=how+to+enable+backlit+keyboard+on+lenovo+laptop

      MJ

      Delete
  15. I think you should google how to do it on a Toshiba laptop and then let us know. Asking for a friend...

    ReplyDelete