NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

DNR

DNR
I’ve heard of the do not fly list, have you ever heard of the ‘Do Not Rent’ list?  Apparently rent-a-car companies have such a list.

We landed in Orlando Friday at 1 am for the start of my annual Fraternity Brothers (and wives) reunion.  We ambled over to the Hertz rent station where we expected to pick up our reserved car to drive to Daytona Beach, the reunion venue.  We were second in line behind a lady that for some reason was pulling out birth certificates, vaccination shot verification, baptismal proof and I don’t know what else.  After about 15 minutes the agent sent those waiting behind her to the gold star desk as he said “This would take a while.”
We trudged across the street to the gold star check-in and resumed the same line order that we were in behind the lady who was taking so long, we are not animals you know. 
The man in front of us, who looked as if he drank a lot of beer or perhaps was in his eight month, also had reservations so check-in should go fast…it didn’t.
After about five minutes.
“I’m sorry sir, but you are on the ‘Do Not Rent’ list. You need to call at 1-800-were-not-there to straighten this out.”
“But I have a reservation.”
“I’m sorry.”
“But I confirmed just two days ago.”
“I’m sorry, you need to call the number.”
The possibly pregnant man called the number several times and did in fact get a busy signal every time.
After the third try he stepped aside and we were allowed to confirm we were not on the ‘Do Not Rent’ list and we got our rental car.
We left without finding out the fate of the bulbous bellied stranger, but feeling quite superior for not being on the ‘Do Not Rent’ list.  I did feel a twinge of empathy for someone stranded at an airport at 1 am in the morning with no way to get to his destination because he was on a ‘Do Not Rent’ list.  But mostly I felt a Seinfeldian “That’s a shame” kind of regret.
I have since Googled the ‘Do Not Rent ‘List and it does exist.  You can land on this list by not paying all of your bill, like perhaps after not topping off the tank, or having a problem with your license, like a DWI, or being rude or belligerent with the rental agent.  There is always the chance of a clerical error, but they do match names with driver’s licenses, so that would be rare. 
More than likely the denied renter had done something that warranted inclusion on this dreaded list, but why would they take his reservation in the first place?  Perhaps there was a delay on his making the list between his reservation and the time of his denial.
I do feel sorry for him.  I have been turned down several times when my credit card was denied (apparently you need to notify some banks when you will be out of the country) and it is very embarrassing, but being denied because you are on a ‘Do Not Rent’ list…
“That’s a shame.”

15 comments:

  1. In this case, it looks like they know how to TAKE a reservation, but not how to GIVE people their reservation. Or maybe that guy got a compact car one time instead of a mid-size, so then he took the insurance, and beat the NOT-HEAVEN out of that car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of the Do Not Rent to list before, but it makes sense, but it does seem that if someone is on that list then their reservations should be declined too...I guess that depends on why they are on the list in the first place, maybe being stranded at the airport at 1am by the do not rent list is some sort of payback for past rental car abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why i'm glad we make our reservations through a local Hertz person that we've known for years. If we ever did anything that would put us in danger of that list, he'd tell us so we could take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the longest lines I've ever waited in have been at the airport car rental. There has to be a better way to verify all this info in advance. Gosh, if only they had access to the worldwide web!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do not rent. Definitely a new one for me. But then I haven't rented a car in many years. He must have done something they didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know there was this kind of list, but it's a good thing. Some people think they can get away with stuff and it's time to show them they can't. I'm guessing he's earned his place on that list.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would guess you would have to do something pretty seriously bad to get on the DNR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought DNR meant Do Not Resuscitate!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sign of the times. This bureaucratic watching is not going away. I don't blame them if it is an unpaid bill, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first thought was same as Fran's but actually am glad that they have such a list at car rentals. People really do abuse rentals. Still they should have never taken the reservation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always contact our credit card company when we're leaving the country and so far haven't had any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine many reasons a rental car company might not want your business again. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that finally the pregnant man got his side and you got the ride Joe!

    here since some years online taxi service made internal journey in cities quite easy for people .
    until now there are there huge companies throughout the country operating the system and we people are feeling free to go on time ,in comfortable cars with reasonable fares when we go on summer vacations to Islamabad!

    old private taxies were ugly ,uncomfortable and expensive .best part you go out and sit in the car no looking for taxi and waiting anymore

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't aware of this, until my brother-in-law was arrested in Texas, in a car he had rented, for transporting 113 pounds of marijuana. My sister told me, they would never be able to rent a vehicle again because of that.

    I thought he would really get busted for his illegal behavior especially in Texas but apparently he was fined and let go. He never served any prison time. His real punishment now is, he can never rent a vehicle - not even a U-Haul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't even imagine if you're going somewhere for, oh, say a week or so, and you ended up without a rental car - AFTER they accepted your reservation. I understand the DNR - but that really should mean DO NOT RESERVE a car for this person.

    ReplyDelete