NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Thanksgiving Tradition

A Thanksgiving Tradition

In 1963, my senior year in high school we played a football game on Thanksgiving.  Westfield, NJ vs. Plainfield, NJ; the Blue Devils against the Cardinals.  Plainfield was favored by 13 points.  If I was not playing and was a betting man, I would have taken Plainfield and given the points as a lock.
The game took place only a few days after President Kennedy was murdered.  There was thought of postponement, but it went on, one small example of the country moving on after that awful blow to our leadership.
Westfield won in an upset 14 to 12.  My pops filmed this game along with all our games that year on 8mm.  Years after, a Thanksgiving tradition became watching this film with my friend Charley “Ditmus” Widmer.  I have since copied it to DVD.  Charley put it on youtube. 
The tradition continues after 54 years, confirming that we actually won that game.
Happy Thanksgiving!

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely tradition. Belated congrats on the win and Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THat's a wonderful tradition. (also a reminder of how much the technology has changed in that span of time!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Joe--- I have been enjoying your blog for a couple of years now from northeast Indiana. I graduated from Plainfield High School a few years after you graduated -- 1969. Those were the days, huh? Were you a blue devil or a cardinal? --Kathy from Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool and your dad rocked. That was a wonderful thing to do and it's given you such pleasure to watch this time and time again.

    Have a fabulous day and a great Thanksgiving. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hoot. I love old movies. I watched a few minutes of the game.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and the fam, Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the game for a few minutes, too. What was your number? I couldn't tell which one you were!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am assuming you were in white, since they scored first but we really need you number. How cool that you have such a well done record of the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think anyone but my family would watch...we were white and #67

      Delete
  8. A great tradition. If I'd ever accomplished anything athletic I'd want to see it over and over also. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was once the tallest basketball student manager in the state of North Dakota. (Or so I claimed.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were a pretty big guy back then, Joe. And your Pops was a pretty good photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely tradition, and i hope you and your family have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to know that some of your glory days have been captured and preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've watched it every year for 54 years? wow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent tradition Buddy, I hope your Thanksgiving was a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. staying in the golden circle of glittering memories from past keep us refreshing and strong .

    watching this each time must make you feel the same energy level for while Joe.Happy victory!

    ReplyDelete