NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

POLITICS AND RELIGION - a Cranky re-run

POLITICS AND RELIGION
This re-run is from June 2012.  It seemed to get some peoples blood boiling so I thought I would stir things up again.  My intent was not to convert Atheists, but to wonder why so many Atheists look to convert others. 
Do I really dare to say it?..."Some of my best friends are Atheists."


I try to keep politics and religion out of my posts and on my comments to other’s posts.  I have learned that my positions or opinions are not apt to change other people opinions or positions.  Friendly discussions on these matters generally degenerate into full-fledged nasty arguments.  This is just not productive.


In the interests of full disclosure, politically I am generally fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  I do not think that President Obama was the most prepared or experienced person for his position, but I also do not believe he is an evil communist who seeks to become a dictator.  He is a politician.  He is our President.   He does not get my vote, but he deserves and gets my respect.


Religion is an even more personal topic.  I am spiritual.  I believe in a higher power.  I try to be a good person.  I do not wish to tell other people how or whom to worship.


Recently a blogger whom I was following made several political and religious comments.  They were made in a matter-of-fact tone indicating that, of course, every intelligent person reading the post agreed with their positions.  Generally I will not comment on these types of positions with which I do not agree.   I will not stop following someone simply because I disagree with their assertions.  This post was different. 


The tone of this post was elitist and derogatory.   First there was a casual comment equating Mitt Romney with a spoiled brainless rich poor excuse for a human being.  I let that slide.  It’s politics.  I understand.  The next remark in this post was a knock against all religion.  This person declared themselves to be an atheist.  The declaration had the tone that suggested anyone who was not an atheist believed in fairytales and was clearly of lower intelligence to non-believers.


This I could not accept. 


I understand Atheism.  I have my own doubts about the nature and existence of a divine force.  I sometimes wonder if there is in fact a loving God.


If you choose to be an Atheist I understand.   But to proselytize Atheism as if bringing people to your belief in non-belief will somehow make their life better…this I do not accept.


The concept of any religion makes some Atheists angry.  Atheists believe in nothing.  They revel in their intellectual non-conformity.  Even the very name of their non-belief system runs counter to the “I before E except after C rule.” 


I wonder why it is so important for these people to convert others to their non-belief.  Atheists love to preach on how many wars have been fought and how much misery there is in the world because of religion.


I point out that it is evil people (probably non-believers) using religion for evil purposes that cause much of the world’s problems.  Evil uses religion; religion does not create the evil.


Religion among other things fills the void of that which science cannot explain.  Apparently Atheists believe that science can or will eventually explain everything about life and our world as we know it.  This will make religion and God obsolete. 


Atheists believe that science can explain everything right down to the very first molecule.


I have to ask:


Where did that first molecule come from?
 


I did not comment on this person’s post and I no longer am a follow, not because of her ideas, but because of her elitist demeanor.


I just got this in an e-mail from my college buddy "Fast Freddy."   I think it is appropriate to this post. 







SEMPER FI MARINE

If you don't know GOD, don't make stupid remarks!!!!!!

A United States Marine was taking some college courses
between assignments. He had completed 20 missions in Iraq
and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who
was an avowed atheist, and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in.
He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, "GOD, if you are real, then
I want you to knock me off this platform... I'll give you exactly 15 min."

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes
went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am GOD, I'm still waiting."

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got
out of his chair, went up to the professor, and hit him;
knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently.

The other students were shocked and stunned, and sat there
looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to,
noticeably shaken, looked at the Marine and asked,
"What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The Marine calmly replied,
"GOD was too busy today protecting
soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid
stuff and act like an idiot. So He sent me."

The classroom erupted in cheers!

12 comments:

  1. It seems kind of pointless to me to bring up religion in a casual conversation or blog post. It's unlikely either side will change the other's mind. I believe, atheists don't. I could agree with them, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I try to remain neutral, my politics are fairly obvious

    Like you, I have a higher power

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved that email. :)

    i was raised catholic but it ALWAYS bothered me that it was a 'my way or you're wrong' religion. you couldn't even make it into heaven if you were a lutheran. oh, come on, now! sheesh!

    i do not practice an organized religion of any sort. but i believe in a higher power. and if someone's spirit can connect to their faith in something more important than their own life, then i don't care what faith it is. just be a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't care for man made religions ... don't want anyone's religion messing with my uterus or what I do or don't do in my bedroom or tell me who I can or can not marry ... all that sinning business ... sez who

    I do not believe in the God of the Bible... I don't believe the Bible is the word of God… it's a book of fairy tales. My Father was a Methodist minister… so I know the Bible and I know various religions and I know that I know nothing… and neither does anyone else. I run … RUN from people who KNOW … bullshit

    it's okay if someone does believe in such ... but keep yer religious beliefs in your home and in your church ...

    I like people who think. Think about what you're saying. Think about how you're treating other people.

    That's what the God, I believe in ... wants...

    I raised my son to ~ treat other people like you want to be treated and cause no harm.

    about it for me. be an atheist or a religious zealot or whatever steams yer bean... but do it quietly or not in my face... AND

    Do not! ask me if I have found Jesus... don't do it.

    ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. AND ... whatever your politics are... this is a generic you ... not you, Cranky ... if you can't discuss differences without name calling ... I don't have time...

    sad commentary on pseudo Christians who spew hate and spread lies because fear is what they understand...

    spread that fear ... God's sitting wherever He/She sits and says... I said, what? I did not find you a parking space... man?

    you always get my blood circulating, Cranky and I got stuff to do today ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, love the post and will let others discuss it. Your new banner caught my eye. You're not a FairTrade blog, also?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an ongoing brouhaha that will never end. As a Christian, I have been taught to "witness," but if that means recruiting, I guess I'm bad girl because I won't do it. However, if people ask me anything about my beliefs, I answer.

    I've stopped reading 2 blogs, too, because of the anger and self-aggrandizement and constant subject matter on being an atheist or a Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember this post from last year although I can't recall what comment I left. I guess I'm an Agnostic leaning in the direction of atheism. I don't have the courage to accept the fact that we're all alone in the universe and not part of any divine plan. People believe what they need to believe and so long as they don't infringe on the rights of others I have no problem. I would never try and persuade anyone to give up their religious beliefs. If you have a faith that works for you---great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems to me, the more science a person knows, the more likely he is to believe in a divine creator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can do is to echo Stephen's comments--& say that I'm glad you're now sugar-free!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, thank...um...something or someone or nothing...that you're not caffeine-free, so I feel comfortable dropping in with Diet Coke on my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am on family vacation now..in the mountains, on a lake. no way is this beauty surrounding me random. no way could a reasonable person believe this was all chance.

    ReplyDelete