NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Saturday, June 1, 2013

BIRTHDAY PARTIES FOR KIDS


BIRTHDAY PARTIES FOR KIDS
 

A Cranky Saturday Opinion

Opposing opinions are welcome (wrong, but welcome) on Cranky Opinion Saturday, but please, no name calling…and that means you, you big stupid head!

This cranky old man is having trouble coming up with an opinion for this Saturday, so I will pick on the relatively new tradition of fancy birthday parties for kids.  My Grandson Connor is having his third birthday party today.

Are these parties for the children or the parents?  Do parents get into the “my party is better than your party” vicious cycle?

Children do not remember very much until the age of at least five, so any party up to that age should just be for family and a few friends. 

A present or two, sing “Happy Birthday,” eat cake and take pictures…good.

Clowns, ponies, blow-up jumpy things, zillions of kids and tons of toys…bad.  

Years ago in another life, my wife forced me to go to all these parties.  After working all week, I really did not want to drive two hours away to spend the first sunny day of summer drinking soda, eating Cheetos, and watching a bunch of two and three year olds whine and break stuff while their parents had to demonstrate that their precious spawn could high five, wave bye-bye, blow kisses, and say that ever so funny, “No way Jose!” to virtually every request.

RT- Mrs. Wiskowski, fifth grade English, would take off 5 points for “Too many words!” in that last sentence.

 

Of course, all these comments are null and void when it comes to my grandkids.  But Hell, they are really cute and deserve to be celebrated!

So there is my opinion on kid’s birthday parties.  They suck.  They are a waste.  They are for spoiled little brats who should be wrapped up in duct tape and sat in a corner while grown-ups drink wine and have fun.

Except my grandkids.  They should be on display for all to marvel at their adorableness, intelligence, and incredible advanced abilities.

Wait, I have some pictures and a video of Connor and me bumping fists.  It’s here someplace.  Hold on, it is really cute.  Wait…it is right here…don’t go!

Oh well, I’ll just put it up on that “your-tube” thingy.  Check it out; it is sure to become a virus.

 

The preceding opinions were that of a cranky old man and not necessarily those of management…Mrs. Cranky.  

11 comments:

  1. My grand-babies are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... you're entitled to as many opinions as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, always different if they're 'yours'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandkids WERE the cutest, but they grew up!! Don't know why that keeps happening...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on that party thing Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly! The parties are for the adults! And most of the gifts, too. My husband bought our first son a full-size go-kart for his 4th birthday. My husband never had a go-kart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a theory that kids shouldn't have birthday parties until they're old enough to remember, and even after that they should only invite other kids in their playgroup/kindergarten/school. Why should I have to spend my precious weekend free time going to birthday parties of friend's kids who won't even recall that I bought them a rather expensive toy that they then proceeded to break five minutes later?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've kept it simple since Miss Macs 5th Birthday party where I went into over drive and damn near killed myself - I even had a timetable for god's sake AND I got upset when the kids didn't stick to it - complete madness!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain. I just spent the day at grandson Parker's T-ball game, then out to lunch with ALL the family as they are here for his birthday bash (4 yrs old) tomorrow. Yikes!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola! I've been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go
    ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas!
    Just wanted to tell you kewp up the fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete