NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Friday, November 6, 2015

A TREE


A TREE

That’s it; I’m running out of material.  I’ve blogged anything interesting I’ve ever done.  I’ve blogged any thought in my head.  I’ve blogged almost any opinion I’ve ever had, and since I have now ruled out posts on religion or politics, there is nothing left.

I should have led a crazier life…if only I knew in the future I would need material for a blog.

So I need inspiration from other bloggers.  Manzanita from “Wanna Buy A Duck” http://beajayblock.blogspot.com/2015/11/when-is-tree-not-tree.html  today mourned the loss of an old friend, a shade tree in her yard; it got me to thinking of Joyce Kilmer.

Joyce Kilmer was a famous poet about 100 years ago.  He was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey which is around the corner from where I live.  You cannot go far in New Brunswick, New Jersey without seeing some road or strip mall which pays homage to Joyce Kilmer.

I Googled him today.  Perhaps he is not quite as famous as I thought because I only found out today, that Joyce was a he, not a she.

Anyway, what is interesting to me is what made Joyce Kilmer famous.  I’m sure he was a man of many accomplishments, and a prolific poet who published lots of stuff, but getting down to brass tacks he is known for one thing, a poem, a very short poem, a very good poem, apparently a great poem. Still, it is just a poem.

In the last 100 years I am sure there have been many great people born in this area of New Jersey.  We have some great hospitals, surely many wonderful doctors and surgeons have come from this area of Central New Jersey.  I know many fine athletes have come from this area.  Joe Theisman is a local lad; I don’t think there is even a road named after him.  Michael Douglas was born in New Brunswick; there are no strip malls in his name.  There must also be some fine authors, and captains of industry, yet the most famous resident if you go by having stuff named after you, is hands down, Joyce Kilmer.

Fame is a funny thing.  It is not always a measure of greatness, or production, or a contribution to society.  Sometimes it is just something simple.  Something that just sticks with people for some reason.  Joyce Kilmer probably produced some wonderful poems, I would imagine Rutgers English professors could spend a semester on his works, but face it, he wrote one poem that resonated with a lot of people; 67 words arranged in a pleasant sequence that has made him immortal in the New Brunswick, New Jersey area.

Trees


I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.


However, I have to say, It is a good fucking poem!

14 comments:

  1. Yes, it is--but if you think you've run out of blog material, YOU'RE A JERK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the poem but didn't know stuff about Joyce Kilmer. Sorry, I should amend that ... I didn't know who wrote the poem. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS a good poem - puts my Bingo Boobs one to shame - somehow I don't think anyone is going to name a road after me for that one! Don't panic, you're bound to be a jerk about something sometime soon and then you can tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a favorite of mine for a while. There's a story about Kilmer where he was in an audience and the speaker was trying to quote his poem and apologized for not knowing the whole thing, not realizing Kilmer was present. Kilmer stood and recited it for the speaker. When the speaker asked how he knew the poem, he simply said, "I wrote it," and sat back down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the poem but didn't realize he wasn't a she. It is interesting in this town to see street names and whatnot and realize they are named for people but then trying to figure out who those people might be. Obviously at one time someone important or doing good things for someone to consider naming a street or school after them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a poem person, so I was surprised I knew this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, a good poem it is and it has been put to music too. A lovely tune. I do recall from my youth that Joyce Kilmer is a "he" but it's been so many years since I thought of him that I still, at first, think "she." I didn't know about the Jersey part because I've never been there, either. It would mean a great deal to you.

    You could always post about your graduation (or have you?) ..... yes, I have your book and a rowdy lad you were. LOL

    Here's another short poem from my youth that I used to attribute to Kilmer but perhaps not.... maybe Dickens? I can't remember....things too far back. lol
    Alone, alone
    I walked through the woods and sat on a stone
    I sat on a large stone and sang to the birds.
    The tune was God's making but I made the words.

    Another guy I think of as a girl is Evelyn .....is it Rothchild? (But I really try never to think of him....one of those illuminati guys)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fishducky said Joe, what fishducky said.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that I shall never see
    a billboard lovely as a tree.
    Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
    I'll never see a tree at all.

    Ogden Nash

    ReplyDelete
  10. That reminds me of the poem they taught us in Army basic training.

    A yellow bird
    A yellow bill
    Landed on my window sill
    I lured him in
    With crumbs of bread
    Then I stomped his little head


    It kind of put a lump in my throat to remember that little poem.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh, heh. He said "breast." AND "bosom!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah...what fishducky said!

    Stupid headlines and TWTA should fill two blogging days per week. Fridays (for Funny Friday) you could post your favorite joke from that week. After that, you're on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a terrific poem, and most of us probably know it well enough to be able to recite at least part of it. Then again, we could all probably recite: "I never saw a purple cow; I never hope to see one. But I can tell you, anyhow; I'd rather see than be one."(Doesn't make THAT one so great, though.)

    If I ever knew Kilmer was a man, I forgot it. And... now I know. And a New Jersey man, at that. Like ol' Blue Eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. didn't know joyce was a he and even tho i'd read that poem before, couldn't have told you who wrote it. so now i know!

    ReplyDelete