NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Sunday, April 5, 2015

THE GREAT EASTER EGG THEFT OF 2012 - an Easter re-run

THE GREAT EASTER EGG THEFT OF 2012
This Easter re-run is from April 2012

STUPID HEADLINE SUNDAY WILL COME ON MONDAY THIS WEEK

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
 
This year there have been two community Easter Egg Hunts called off because of over enthusiastic, overly competitive parents creating major disturbances and even fist fights on previous hunts.  How un-Christian like, particularly during Christianity’s most sacred holiday.


This Easter Mrs. Cranky, the two step-cranks and I celebrated with an all-day series of feasts and merriment at Mrs. C’s brother’s house.  All of Mrs. C’s immediate family, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews were present.


The food was great and the company was great.  One of the highlights of the day was an Easter egg hunt planned and organized by my Sister-in-law.  Over fifty plastic eggs filled with candy and cute Easter promises were hidden in the back yard.  Eggs had to be found and returned to a “home base” one at a time on a spoon to a bag clearly marked for each participant.


I immediately got into the spirit of the hunt and found and deposited three eggs in my bag.  At one point I got into a fight over an egg with my eleven year old niece Carli.  Fortunately I came to my senses and let go of the head-lock hold I had on this cute young lady and let her win the egg.  I returned empty-spooned to my bag content with my three egg conquest.


My bag was EMPTY!! 


This was a family-only event.  The eggs held only candy.  There was no money involved and yet it became so competitive that someone, I assumed a youngster, actually stole all three eggs from my bag.


What the thief didn’t know was that one of the eggs was unique from all the eggs hidden.  It was the only egg that was not a solid color. 


Of the nieces and nephews present, only Carli was under 21.  She was my first suspect.  Carli is very competitive.  She is also very honest and fair minded.  I was somewhat relieved when I checked her bag and did not see the multi-colored egg.


I knew the step-cranks well enough to be sure they would not stoop to egg thievery.  That left a nephew and a niece as my primary culprits.  Both were clean. 


I was shocked to realize that it was someone in the older generation that slunk to an egg stealing low.


We all proceeded to the dining room to open the eggs and read our Easter promises.  I had no egg.  I was handed two promise notes.  I had to promise not to fall asleep during family events (I had my fingers crossed on this one) and to refer to Mrs. Cranky as “My beautiful goddess that I worship the ground she walks on” for one day.


As we went around the table I watched intently for the owner of the stolen multi-colored egg.  I was shocked when I spotted it.  It was in the possession of the person I would have least expected.  I thought it might have been stolen as a gag, but the possessor of the egg was not a joker. 


Maybe the egg was stolen and planted on this person.  So I will not reveal their identity.  I can only wonder about the possible motive for this scurrilous act of egg thievery.*


What is it about Easter Egg Hunts that brings the competitiveness and larceny out of honest people?


*After much research and CSI clue analysis it has been determined that the egg thievery was simply a matter of a mistaken basket switch.  That is the story and we are sticking to it.      

12 comments:

  1. LOL, I know what you mean. They become vicious out there looking for at times a cheap plastic egg worth pennies filled with pennies worth of candy.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you all ARE competitive. In my family the adults stay out of the whole egg retrieval mess except to help the youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you have a family of devious folk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny. When our son was small we only hid one egg and we let him find it over and over until he got tired. He never caught on. Happy Easter to you and Mrs. Cranky. Try your best not to be a " jerk" today. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bwahahahahahahaha. Why am I getting the feeling that it was the goddess that snagged your Easter eggs?

    Have a fabulous Easter Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read in our daily paper about the local Easter Egg hunt (which was held on Saturday - go figure). Parents had to pay $5 for their tot to collect eggs. Then they were only allowed two eggs each. Then, to combat random acts of violence I guess, only 25 youngsters at a time were allowed into the grounds. And finally, they ran out of eggs! Some youngsters who had lined up for a long time never got a chance to enter the hunting grounds! Happy Easter, indeed. Needless to say there is much grumbling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO nothing worse than a mysterious egg thief :-)

    Have an eggtastic Easter Sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heeheehee! While i've seen thievery at such events in non-church venues, at the churches i've attended the parents watched their children closely and made sure to direct younger ones to eggs hidden low to the ground, and older children to be generous and take the ones hidden higher up for them.

    Years ago, at our family hunts with the cousins, we did the same, and taught the elder children to be nice and then gave them extra candy to thank them for letting the little ones have a good time and "win".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family sounds as ruthless as mine when competition is involved. Those Dollar Store prizes at the Christmas Eve Games bring out the cutthroat nature of my relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That sounds like fun. I for sure would have stolen an egg from you, but certainly not all three. So it wasn't me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a scream. When I was a kid, our egg hunts often turned to egg tosses where we would throw eggs to each other and the team that tossed and caught the egg from the longest distance was the winner. These often digressed Into egg fights. Not pretty.
    R

    ReplyDelete