NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Saturday, April 25, 2015

NO LIE!


NO LIE!

A cranky opinion

For cranky opinion Saturday

The following is the opinion of a cranky old man with no real credibility on the subject opined.  Opposing opinions are welcome, just be nice.

I am not a very good liar.  I have no poker face.  If I do lie, my guilty expression gives it away.  I was taught to be honest. Growing up if I got caught doing something I was not supposed to do my folks were pretty understanding.  The punishment for the actual offense was never as severe as the punishment for lying about it.

Not that I am or was a choir boy, but I think most of my lies are to spare someone’s feelings, or maybe when I used to call in sick from time to time.

Oh, sometimes I might stretch the truth just a little if I feel it improves on a story.  Mrs. C often tells me regarding a post, “I never said that!” and I have to explain to her that the story is much better if she had, and so I say she did.

I certainly don’t attempt to lie to Mrs. C.  She reads me like a book and her powers of observation are amazing.

Anyway, for the most part I tell the truth and as a result I am pretty easily taken in by those that don’t.  I am programmed to think people tell the truth.  The flip side of this is when I finally figure out that a person tends to bend the truth; I never again believe a single thing they say.  I won’t tell them I don’t believe them, but I think to myself…  “Maybe; probably not, really, who knows?”

Some people lie to impress.  Some people lie for profit.  Some people lie for sport.  Some people just don’t know what the truth is.  They lie so much and so often that they will lie about stupid stuff, stuff about which I could not care one way or the other.

Why do people so often answer a question with a stipulation of honesty?  “Well, to tell the truth”… “I’m not going to lie”… “I honestly have to say”… “I have to be honest here”… “The truth is…”

When I hear these phrases, I am immediately suspicious of whatever follows.

One of the reason that people get away with lies, or think they are getting away with a lie is that calling someone out on a lie is serious.  It is at the least a relationship buster. 

“Are you calling me a liar?”

That challenge alone allows many a liar, bullies that they can be, a free pass.

That is one reason I hate to call liars out.  It seldom serves any purpose.  It is usually best to let it go and have as little to do with the person as possible.  It does bother me though when I have to see these people over and over.  Their lies don’t really affect me except I hate that they think I believe them.  I hate that they must think I’m stupid.  I hate that when I say, “Wow that is hard to believe,” They don’t realize that I am really not impressed and that it means I really don’t believe you.

Sometimes of course a lie is so ridiculous it is easy to trip the person up without really calling them a liar.  Then it is sort of fun having them double up on the lies to try and explain.

I think this is why most people do not like politicians.  Politicians are masters at telling things with a slant so they can backtrack easily.  They are skilled at twisting facts to suit their purpose.  They can smile and pat you on the back while they are plotting to screw you.  They can seem sincere when in fact they are conniving.  I have no respect for liars, I have no respect for most politicians.

Do you think I believe you?  I’m not going to lie, I’m not stupid!

The preceding was the opinion of a cranky old man and not necessarily that of management…Mrs. Cranky.

15 comments:

  1. I use "honestly" a lot but believe you me I'm not telling a lie when I use it :) I tend to tell the truth more than not but I have been known not to tell the whole story to protect people's privacy.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does using poetic license count as a lie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lied quite a lot at the checkout. People would ask me things and I would spin the first story that came into my head. I'd make stuff up. The thing about this is if you say things with enough conviction, and don't over exaggerate, people will believe you. If anyone ever said "did you just make that up?" I'd say "of course" and we'd all laugh. No harm done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Mrs. Cranky you are approved by the best. Mark Twain said any story can be approved by changing the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand how easy it is to write things the way they should have been. I try never to lie, but I have been known to "embellish," especially when writing dialogue. Just remember, like George Costanza once said, "It's not a lie if you believe it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a pretty good liar. I mostly lie because I don't like to hurt people and often the truth does do that. Would that be a white lie? Who ever color-coded lies. (I think I'll tell a mauve lie) ha
    A girl friend asks me, "Does this dress make me look fat?"
    Me..... "You're asking if this large floral print makes you look fat? Why of course Not, big flowers make you look like skinny-Minnie."

    ReplyDelete
  7. i try not to lie but i often 'soft sell' an opinion so as to not hurt feelings. and that's shading the truth, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lie all the time. I do it to spare someone's feelings. Why people ask me pointed questions I haven't a clue, but they do and often.

    As for politicians? You've nailed them perfectly. I've not much use for any of them.

    Have a fabulous day Cranky. My best to Mrs. C. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course we don't trust politicians here -- it's Louisiana! As for lying, it's easier for me to tell the truth because i know i won't remember what i said to whom, and i'll get caught!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't lie only because I am no good at it. Like you--it shows like a neon sign on me. Then there is all that memory involved in a lie. I guess I am too lazy to practice the art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe what people tell me. I think it is my biggest fault.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I think you believe me. Let's play some poker.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like you I'll tell a simple lie to spare someone's feelings, or to embellish a cute/funny story, but nothing more. I'm not smart enough to remember what I told to whom. Besides, you can't get into trouble telling the truth. Well, you CAN, but NOT telling the truth is much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'To a degree ...' - This post reminded me of a post i once wrote about how SD and I met and how he often ends a sentence with 'to a degree' as though he thinks he may not be totally believed, I may republish that one some time ... I'm a terrible liar so I find it much easier not to most of the time although I'm certainly guilty of embellishing the truth a little for the benefit of a blog post (but I'm sure you knew that already).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny thing about that "Are you calling me a liar?" bit; it seems like it's only jackasses that ever toss that one out, usually when there's nothing at stake, it's just factually incorrect. They just hate being told they're wrong. . .

    I've always wanted to answer it with, "No, but you might be a moron." Don't think that would necessarily achieve the desired result, either. . .

    ReplyDelete