NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Thursday, October 17, 2019

The World Series Back in the Day


The World Series Back in the Day

 Do you remember back in the day when Major League Baseball was two eight team leagues, no divisions, no wild card game or division titles?

American and National league, you win the league in the regular season and you made it to the World Series.

In the fifties and early sixties, the Yankees almost always were in the World Series.  All the games were played during the day.  The World Series was over by mid-October.  There were no games played in late October nights in below 40-degree weather.  It was baseball in baseball season as it should be.

The problem for us school age kids was we did not get to see the games during the week.  The games started at 1 PM, school ended at 2:30.  When the bell rang there was a mad dash to get home and see the final innings on TV (Games took only about 2 - 2 1/2 hours then, not sure why they take 4 hours today).

In my school there were always one or two kids listening to the game on a transistor radio.  An ear piece was run through a long sleeve plugged into the radio which was in a pocket.  Hand on ear the student listened to the game and relayed scores during class via hand signals.

We thought we were so smart getting one over on the teachers.  I  have since learned that the teachers knew and allowed what was going on; they wanted to know the scores as well.

Still, everyone played along and when a hand signal indicated that Mickey Mantle had hit a three-run homer the entire class exploded into a silent cheer.  I guess we missed the teacher's quiet fist pump into the air.

I am told some teachers in some schools allowed the game to be shown on a classroom TV.  I was never that lucky.

When I started working, watching the day games was still an issue.

I was working on Wall Street when the Mets won the World Series in 1969.  We did bring in a small portable TV to watch the final game while we worked.  When the Mets won, windows on Wall Street opened and a lot of paper trade records were lost in a spontaneous “Ticker Tape” parade.  Rumor has it a few adding machines and Rolodexes were also tossed along with the paper.  The Mets were called the Miracle Mets; no one getting beaned during the celebration was also a miracle.

I remember watching Thurman Munson winning a division series for the Yankees with a home run.  I was in a Wall Street bar after work.  The bar and downtown exploded with that hit.

It was crappy that we could not watch many of the World Series games back when they were played in the daytime, but finding a way to follow the game while at school or work somehow made the game more interesting.  The comradery of class and work mates all rooting for the same team was more fun than watching at night with a wife who could care less who wins.

Being able to watch all the games at night is great; yet it is funny how when you gain something,  you also miss what you lost.   


13 comments:

  1. I loved watching the World Series when I was a kid. You could see the games on Saturday and Sunday and maybe Columbus Day if it went that late. When the Red Sox played in 1967, my 6th grade teacher wheeled a little portable TV into the classroom. Of course, our teacher was the principal, so he could do whatever he wanted! Now, games don't get over until after midnight. I wouldn't have seen any entire game even once during my early and then teen years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it. A guy from the small town where I was born pitched for the Yankees. It was before I was born, but he is still a legend here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had television in the classroom? Goodness, I wish I'd gone to your school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't remember games that suffered serious wind chills either. That was funny about the hidden radio in school and relaying the score. In 48 my Mom and I were Indian addicts and while we went to the ball park once, the rest came over the radio. I have faith the Yankees can pull this year out also. The 2003 Marlins went 7 games in the NLDS and I think even beat the Yankees in the WS. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I hear this!
    I wish we could go back to that Joe. 2 divisions and no wildcard. Dislike the Wild Card and honestly who wants to watch the world series in snow? It's getting to that of late. How many games did we play back then? It had to be less than 162 which I feel is too long and makes the world series go into late October/Nov. Which if in the NE could be too damn cold. Sadly not in the North East this year but....

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS we had male teachers who would listen and tell us the score and once he brought in the AV Dept TV and we got to watch. But that only happened once in 11th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was the same over here in the UK too - but it was cricket.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only Series I remember were the Cardinals in 1982, and the Cardinals in 1985. Sadly, the heat WASN'T on in '85. I was teaching during those years, and the students were in a frenzy. Me, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never really followed sports and hubby and I don't watch or listen to anything concerning sports. Yes things have indeed changed. Some for the better and some not so much.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  10. For some reason when I was a kid everyone in my family except me was a Cleveland Indians fan. I was in love with the Brooklyn Dodgers so I grew up with a hatred of the Yankees. I think the greatest tragedy of my young life was that horrible Bobby Thomson home run off Ralph Branca that ended "my" Dodgers pennant run in 1951. I was 11, listening on the huge Philco radio in our living room. I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, I remember those days of baseball, and I think they were better. It's beyond frustrating to have a team do great during the regular season... like the Braves... and then lose it all in post-season to a wild card team. I also remember the '69 series quite well, too. I brought a little TV to work so I could watch it... only I was rooting for the Orioles. (sigh) We folks in B'more had a slightly different opinion of the Mets. HA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just like if you are used to being at the game, it's not quite so much fun to watch from home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is definitely privilege to be able to watch game at home specially

    i remember when i was crazy about cricket back in my teens and my mom and sister were sharing my passion it was so hard to wait to reach home from school and then watch remaining part of game

    later when i was able to watch it was great pleasure to watch with family at home
    my father would love hockey and sadly we would enjoy all alone though i would try to show sometimes that i know about his favorite game either and enjoying :)

    ReplyDelete