NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Monday, December 1, 2014

It’s a Gubba! - a cranky re-run

It’s a Gubba!
This cranky re-run is from November 2012

Dear Mr. Webster,


I would like to introduce a new word to our lexicon.  Actually it is not a new word, it is an old one invented by my friend years ago.  If you need to give credit for this word, credit it to a Mr. Charles Widmer, aka Chuck, Wink, Ditmus and for the sake of humor in this blog…”Asshead.”  The word:


Gubba. Gu ba’ Plural: ginder gin der'


What is this word?  It is a noun meaning any little unidentified thing which can only be held between two fingers.


Years ago while working a summer job installing underground sprinklers with Ditmus, I encountered a tiny unknown object in our truck.


“Hey Chuck, What the hell is this?” I asked while holding up the tiny thing between my thumb and middle finger.


Charlie took one quick look and declared, “It’s a Gubba.”


“A what?”


“A Gubba, any stupid unidentified thing which serves no apparent purpose is a “Gubba.”


It worked for me, and it saved a lot of head scratching and useless identification.


If a sprinkler head was clogged, what caused the clog? A Gubba.


Something caught between your toes that was driving you crazy?  A Gubba.


I have not used this word in years.  What prompted me to submit it as a new entry to our lexicon?  When toddler sitting on Grandpa Joe Thursday I found myself using it again, and with great effectiveness.


“Pa Pa Joe, wha dis?”


“Hmmm, let me see Cole…oh it’s a Gubba, just throw it away.”


No need to figure out what the tiny thing really is, no need to explain.  Just “It’s a Gubba!” that seems to satisfy a toddler.


There are lots of Gubbas around a house that has toddlers; little things which might gross you out if you knew what they were.  Better to not even research and find out.  Just pick it up and flick it in the garbage.


“It’s a Gubba.”     

15 comments:

  1. I've always been a fan of "thingie". Somehow Jim can always figure out which thingie I'm talking about so that really works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great word, and one I think I'll be using a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was married to a Gubba once. It was awful. I called him lots of stuff, but Gubba would have been nicer.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is right up my alley. My life seems to be filled with gubbas. A wise teaching for your young-un. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I MAY start referring to my junk drawer as my Gubba drawer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I can see lots of uses for that word but just wished an explanation didn't have to accompany it. That is unless I save it for toddlers who "get it".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. There are many gubbas in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always called such things do-hickey or thing-a-ma-bob, but now that I think about it, gubba is a much more efficient use of the alphabet. From now on, gubba it is! :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course it would make sense to a toddler. It sounds a lot like "bugger." That always makes sense to a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whatchamacallit, whosamawhats, thingamabob, or goo .... gotta be one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a gubba stuck between my foot and my sock yesterday. I envisioned a piece of cedar shavings from the doghouse into the people house via my husband's work boot. But a gubba is easier to declare and get on with the accusing. Cuts out the identification step.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sometimes need a word to explain nothing important, and gubba fills the bill

    ReplyDelete
  13. l like it. Now I hope I remember it the next time I need to use such a word.

    betty

    ReplyDelete