NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

C-R-A(cranky old man)N-K-Y(Why because of Disney)K.I.D.S KIDS


C-R-A(cranky old man)N-K-Y(Why because of Disney)K.I.D.S KIDS

The Cranky’s, the Pa. Crank, DIL, and two Crankettes are back from Disney World.  I was actually quite proud of the two Crankettes, in general they were very well behaved.  This was especially true in comparison to the many ultra cranky kids I observed at Disney World.  Don’t let the commercials fool you, 90 % of the children under 7 are miserable at Disney World 90% of the time.

Kids at Disney want and then they want more.  When they don’t get what they want, they whine.  Parents take their children to Disney to watch their smiles and create memories.  They react to the whining and the wanting by giving in and giving in.  The chain reaction to the rewarding of the whining with the giving in is even more whining.  The Disney Corporation takes advantage of this by putting a store at the end of every ride to sell ride related merchandise.  

Kids come to Disney with expectations of dancing with Mickey and Donald et al, based on the commercials they see on TV.  If they are lucky, they see the Disney characters in a parade…there will be no dancing with Mickey; this results in more whining.

Parents spend a lot of money getting to and staying at Disney.  To get their money’s worth; they spend from 7 am to 10 pm at the parks.  Surprise, this makes for even more whining by exhausted toddlers.

My DIL was smart and she rationed hours at the park with time at the pool, and time for naps.  I’m not sure about the Crankettes, but I sure took advantage of the nap time.  DIL also made it clear to the Crankettes that there would be no purchases of Disney crap all day long, instead she set aside an hour at the end of one day to shop and she put a limit on purchases.

Another Disney toddler observation was of a child’s capacity for wonderment.  It is about 20 seconds.  We stayed at Animal Kingdom where our backyard mimicked the African Savanna.  There were zebras, giraffes, wildebeests, large exotic birds and multiple types of antelope.  I took the boys to see the zebras and giraffes.  They thought they were really cool…for 20 seconds, and then they wanted mints which were shaped like Mickey. 

I also observed how toddlers cannot put anything in perspective and how they live in the moment.  We took them on every ride imaginable.  They saw talking birds, they flew over California and took a truck through Africa where they saw lions, hippos, elephants and much more.  They saw parades with fabulous floats, fireworks and laser light shows that were beyond description. 

What caused mini-melt downs?

Whose turn was it to push the elevator button, or unlock the room door with their magic Mickey wrist band.  My son was pretty good at defusing these mini-meltdowns.  He expertly used the ignore and distract method.  Fortunately, a toddler’s capacity to mope over minor disappointment is about as long as their wonderment time frame…about 20 seconds.

All and all, I think the Crankettes had a good time and built a few memories.  I was proud of their behavior, no spoiled brats at the Pa. Crank’s.  

The Disneyophiles, Mrs. C and DIL definitely had a good time. 

This cranky old man and son of cranky survived, and I will grudgingly admit that I actually enjoyed a good portion of the trip.

Oh, did I mention that I beat my son in the “Toy Story” ride contest…68,800 to 68,700.

14 comments:

  1. Being good parents and grandparents, I guess. But will the kids remember the trip when they are grown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised the Disney Corporation hasn't contacted you to write ads promoting their delightful park. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Disney World. Never wanted to go and will never go.

    I'm glad you had a good time. Looks like the kids' parents have the right idea about theme parks. Good for them. We need more good parents.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. You survived! Yeahhh! Your reward is to skip next year's trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly don't think I'd want to be there with young kidlets in tow. But I'm glad you had a fine enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hillbilly and I took two grandkids, 5 and 8, to Disneyland all by ourselves. It was great! We all got tired at about the same time. Any time one person wanted to sit down and rest, everyone else was willing. The Hillbilly and the older grandchild went on the rides that were too wild for the younger child and me. I can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed that you went. I got so agitated I had to go off looking for something to drink. I think I had to settle for coffee. I found a quiet spot and did deep breathing exercises. :-\

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you survived to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your observations.but can see where Disney might be Cranky. Maybe Disney will pay you to pull this post. Might be worth a try and just think, it will pay for the next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew! I'm glad you're back. I'm exhausted just from reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter-in-law is a smart woman, scheduling naps!

    The Disney Parks aren't too bad when you take older kids who can enjoy it and will remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Close score with the game! I see your son wanting a rematch and then another return for all of you to Disney! I think your DIL was very wise with the scheduling of the days including naps and having only limited shopping time. Disney does know how to market well indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete