NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Monday, July 23, 2018

Umbrella Danger


Umbrella Danger (a Cranky rant)




Start of rant:

I have long been a beach umbrella nut.  Beach umbrellas are dangerous.

Why am I a beach umbrella nut?  Why are they dangerous?

Most beach umbrellas have a very pointy aluminum end used to stick the umbrella in the sand.

Sand is very loose.  Aluminum does not stick to sand.  It is windy by the ocean.  The beach is by the ocean.  Umbrellas tend to catch the wind.  When an umbrella catches the wind the pointy aluminum end pulls out of the loose sand and flies down the beach which is generally as crowded as those seal beaches on an Animal Planet TV special.

Flying pointed aluminum shaft on a crowded beach…see the problem?

I have seen this event several times and no one was hurt.  It was laughed off as a joke, or a scary thrill.  People could not even fathom how it could happen.

In the last week, two people on east coast beaches have been skewered by flying pointy aluminum shafts.  They were seriously hurt, but fortunately not killed.

Comments at the end of news reports on these accidents tended to make a joke about the problem.  You know, those stupid comments at the end of almost every news story these days.


“I guess we need government beach umbrella control legislation!”

“Just one more stupid thing to be afraid of!”

“This would not have happened if Hillary won.”


Truth is, there should be either legislation, or people should be made legally responsible for there umbrellas.  If people thought there was any chance at all of losing your beach house, your shirt, or both, perhaps they would be more responsible for their beach umbrellas.

Two things that would eliminate beach umbrella skewering.

1.    They sell beach umbrella anchors that hold umbrellas in the sand against almost any wind.  Cheap plastic anchors cost about $3 and they work very well.  For $15 you can buy anchors that will not break.  Buy and use them!
Cheap anchors

Even Better


2.    If you are leaving your spot on the sand for what ever reason or for anytime at all, close the damn umbrella!

3.    Post signs at the beach reminding people that umbrellas can be dangerous, people are legally responsible for the pointy end of their umbrella, and the steps 1 and 2 from above that will make everyone’s beach experience safe.





15 comments:

  1. Are you trying to tell these clods to take personal responsibility? You can't be serious. You just can't. Someone else is at fault if someone gets hurt. The world is going wacko and quickly.

    Have a fabulous day and mind your beach umbrella. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well-deserved rant! I agree with you 100 %.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could just avoid the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! We used to use anchors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not dump the middle man, we need a law that says the umbrellas have to have an integrated anchor rather than the pokey spear end ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the headline about a lady being impaled by a beach umbrella in NEW JERSEY! I can't believe I didn't click on it and read it. But I DID think of you! I've never heard of those umbrella anchors. Another good idea that I wish I had invented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack hates the sun and sand and beaches..well, hate is a bit strong. He burns and that makes him stay away from beaches whenever possible. However, if he hears about this new danger he will use it to forever stay away from those places. Me? I like to live on the edge and would take my chances of getting skewered for a tan. Seriously, I would. Crazy, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never understood the point of going to the beach and sitting under an umbrella. If you don't like the sun, go somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is the ocean too, but I'm guessing you don't go to the beach, or for sure you are not Irish.

      Delete
  9. I don't see many umbrellas on beaches here. Perhaps Aussies don't mind being burnt to a crisp every time they go to the beach. I have, in the past, seen a few being anchored by means of a cork-screw type attachment as you've pictured here, also with a heavy plastic weight which surrounds the umbrella stem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never used an umbrella on the beach. My aim was always to get a tan. Mind you, it is many years since I saw a beach let alone sat on one and in those bygone days umbrellas weren't used unless it rained.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had an umbrella take off even with an anchor (expensive kind, too). I rarely bother with the umbrella anymore and, sadly, I find myself going to the beach less and less even though I only three miles away from it all the time I am in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was going to suggest you invent some kind of anchor but I see it has been done. I don't remember many umbrellas during my beach days--we went for the tan and now I must content myself with hopelessly ruined skin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea there were anchors for beach umbrellas!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The thought of being skewered by a pointy aluminum pole makes me shudder!

    ReplyDelete