NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Farmer Cranky


Farmer Cranky
I am so proud!
What is it about a backyard garden?  Why do people waste their time and money trying to grow vegetables?

Professionals grow bigger better cheaper vegetables than most amateur gardeners can grow.

Still, farmer Cranky loves his tomato plants.  I check them out every morning, pinch out those unproductive shoots, tie them up as needed, and tickle the flowers.

To date I have spent about $12 on my tomato plants, an investment which so far with three tomatoes might not be considered a successful venture.  Four dollars a tomato is not a very good investment.  Of course, with any luck, by the seasons end, I may have a big enough crop to cut that per tomato cost to about 50 cents a tomato…except I only eat one or two tomatoes a week and I am not about to preserve the excess.

So, clearly growing tomatoes in my “yard” has no monetary incentive.  I think it is something deep in our DNA that makes it so satisfying to grow your own food.  It is the reason people hunt and fish recreationally.

I have no real property in our town home, so my plants, all five, are grown in a pot,




an upside-down thing,
Fun idea, but not real productive


and two on a bit of ground I have claimed as my own. 

I have been doing this for three years now and I have learned much about farming.

The first year, rabbits attacked my new planted tomatoes.  The internet showed me that sticking plastic forks next to the plants keeps the rabbits away.  It sounds really stupid, but it works.

I learned that tomatoes need water, but too much water gives the fruit bottom-rot so I now only make sure they get a short sprinkle if we have had no rain.

I learned that to get fruit you need to jiggle the flowers as tomatoes "self- pollinate."

I learned to call it "jiggling the flowers" and not "jerking off my tomatoes" when in polite company.

I add fertilizer at planting and when they start to pop fruit.  Too much fertilizer is not good.

Squirrels will steal a tomato right off the plant.  Take one unripe tomato and leave it on the ground for the squirrels…they really don’t like them very much but you have to give one up to teach them.

If you grow them they will come.  They, are tomato worms, real ugly green things.  How they find my random plants is a mystery of nature.

Stores advertise “vine ripened” tomatoes.  I found that vine ripening tends to leave them at risk of varmints and they tend to split in an unappetizing way.  I pick them as soon as they start to change color and put them in a paper bag to continue the ripening process.  I put them in a bag because the internet told me to…it was right on the rabbit/fork thing, so I follow its suggestions.

At the beginning of this post I claimed professional farmers grow bigger and better tomatoes than amateurs.  Actually, the tomatoes you find at the supermarket are bigger, redder and prettier, but they do not have the same flavor.  The tomato flavor in store-bought is not as intense.

A friend of mine who is smart, says the store-bought are genetically modified to look pretty but they don’t have the same taste.  They are currently trying to genetically modify the taste back in the tomato.  Until that happens, my tomatoes beat the heck out of supermarket tomatoes in the taste department.

I’ve heard the government sometimes pays farmers to NOT grow certain crops.

I wonder if next year I could have the government pay me to not grow my tomatoes…nope, not going to even try, I need to grow my own, it is in my DNA. 

14 comments:

  1. I go to the store for my veggies. I would kill anything I planted and I know that. I'm better off staying inside in the air conditioning.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a sun warm tomato fresh from the vine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby loves his tomatoes so farmers market are his resource. Tomatoes are not my thing unless they are spaghetti sauce or ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Sandee, i kill plants, so i wait for kind souls who grow too many tomatoes to eat for themselves to give me some. Happens every year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your crop! You know much more about tomato cultivation than I do. The flavor of garden tomatoes is SO much better, just like the difference in eggs picked up out of the nest, and eggs bought in a carton at the grocery store.

    Those tomato hornworms are hideous! I picked a beautiful tomato one evening, in the year we had a garden, and the whole back of the tomato was mush. THEN I saw a hornworm looking at me from that side. I screamed and dropped it, and my hero Hick came running to smash that demon between his thumb and forefinger. A waterfall of tomato seeds cascaded out its butt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, the vine ripened taste beats anything the plastic supermarket beauties can come close to. I have found though if I let mine ripen just so, I have to beat the raccoons to them for that is exactly how they like them also. It is a race.
    Keep it going farmer Cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool. I kill pretty much any plant I try to keep. The exceptions are a bamboo plant I've had for a long time and a couple jalapeno pepper plants. The jalapenos off of it taste nothing like the ones you get in stores and are way hotter and better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tomatoes are a problem for me. I can't successfully grow my own and supermarket ones taste nothing like the ones I remember from my childhood. Also these days, no matter where you buy them, most tomatoes seem to be skin with a thin layer of flesh and the rest is about 90% juice and seeds. By the time you scoop out all of that sogginess you need two tomatoes to cover a sandwich! I remember tomatoes being much more fleshy when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One year we had a huge number of mice here in town. At first, they would take a bite or two out of a near-ripened tomato, so I started picking them sooner. Then they started eating the green ones. Finally, I got so frustrated that I ripped the plants out because I refused to feed the mice.
    I have heard that the tomato horn worm is in the soil when you buy the plants. I used to pick the ugly things off and shoot them into traffic with a sling shot. Very satisfying. Wearing heavy duty gloves of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your little red babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing like a homegrown tomato BLT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, store bought are less flavorful and more pesticidey and less natural. Some even have dye added to make sure they keep that uniform red outlook, or so I hear. I usually have some in the garden but don't pay much never-mind as they are too finicky to fuss over. If they come out, cool. If not, farmer's market here we come! Have no tomato eaters in the house but home-made sauce is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love tomatoes, and some day I'll have the time and patience to grow some in my yard. Thanks for all the good advice! Plastic forks, huh? Now I'm wondering what might keep ants away...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is our first year doing patio container gardening and it's super convenient to have the plants so close. So far we've got two bell peppers. Still waiting on the others to do their thing but with this heat who knows what we'll end up getting.

    ReplyDelete