NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Monday, July 9, 2018

This Next Generation Scares Me




This Next Generation Scares Me

Yes, I know I am an old fart, and all old farts think younger generations are spoiled, listen to bad music and don’t have good manners.  Yes, that has been true since forever, even writings of Greek philosophers warn of the deficiencies of the younger generation.

I don’t particularly like the rap music of today.  I don’t particularly like the butchering of the English language, or the creaky voice inflection of today’s youth.  It bothers me that young people do not even know how to safely cross the street.

I can let all these things slide because…Hell, what else can I do about it.

But.

Today on the beach I saw an event that really scares me about young people and how they are being raised.

I was on the beach and a young mother who weighed maybe 110 pounds was packing up her beach wagon.  Several chairs, two umbrellas, two boogie boards and assorted beach paraphernalia.  The wagon had tiny wheels which could only be dragged across the sand, not rolled.

This 110-pound lady was pulling this weighted down cart through about fifty yards of sand like one of those power lifting champions pulling a Boing 747 on a chain.  While she was dragging the beach stuff, her at least 12-year-old son who looked to weigh about 140 pounds was walking ahead disgusted that she was taking so long.  He carried nothing.  He didn’t help push and did not volunteer to help pull.  Her about 9-year-old daughter did carry a small beach bag, but still did not offer to help, what-so-ever…in fact she also seemed disgusted that mom was taking so long.

I wanted to wring these kids necks for not offering to help their tiny mom.  I wanted to ask the mother what in blazes was wrong with her that she would not demand her children help.

Instead, I just shook my head and ignored them.

I’m 72; not my problem.

19 comments:

  1. Yep, I see that all the time too. Amazing isn't it. It's her fault though. The mom should have laid out the ground rules long ago. I'm pretty sure it's too late now. What a shame. Can you imagine what little hellions these two are going to have? I can imagine.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I encounter a child with an attitude of entitlement I always look at the parents because it usually starts there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go...it's hard though isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try to deal with them in the classroom! Yeah. Not my problem any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering if maybe she's just a control freak and doesn't think her kids or spouse even would do a good enough job carrying the crap,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never understand why parents feel the need to raise entitled children. You can help your child without crippling them as part of mankind. We live in a sad world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad, very sad. They are in for a rude awakening when they find out the rest of the world won't do that for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who the hell raised that 110-pound lady???

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a disheartening.

    I see a lot of really great kids, though, and I have recently started becoming slightly more hopeful about the future. All we can do is hope that the next generation doesn't make the same mistakes ours did. Well, maybe we can do our best to teach them, but... yeah, there are some great kids who would help Mom move the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This happens at some situations. when we grow up our kids with lots of love ans affection, we don't allow them to do any work. We do all works for them which they take it in granted. They doesn't seems to help us. So we can't blindly blame the youngsters as such...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet those kids heard the expression 'LEAVE IT' so many times that now they don't bother. Sad! I once knew someone who never allowed her kids to help in any way so that when she really needed help there was none forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right, it isn't your problem and certainly not worth getting abused over should you interfere.
    I do feel the same as you though, that mother should have taught her kids from day one to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like the rest I am hanging this squarely on the Mom's overworked shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To be fair, most of my contemporaries would not have lifted a finger without parental coaching even back in the day. Lots of parents who don't teach, same as any generation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am with you, "Not My Problem".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although it is frustrating to watch, don't you worry. That Mom will wonder what the hell she did wrong when those kids are still living with her after they turn 30. :-)
    Example: a 12ish year old girl, cute as a button, plays gymnastics on the chairs in the waiting room while Mom says not one word. A 17 year old boy who is killing it, working/high school/college classes. I keep warning him to have some fun and not burn out by the time he's 21.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I work in a retail environment where I see thousands of people during any given shift. And yep, those bratty, entitled kids (and occasional obnoxious adults) sure do stand out. But they stand out because they're relatively few and far between. Nobody is drawn to notice the kids that quietly help out because their family unit runs smoothly and functions without incident. By far, the vast majority of our experiences with our customers'kidlets are anywhere from fantastic to neutral. Those miserable few do stand out but I don't think they're significantly representative of their generation. Still, it sure is disheartening to see scenes like you described.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Obviously not an Italian mother. My kids knew from the get go. I'm the mom, therefore I am Queen. :D

    ReplyDelete