NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Saturday, February 12, 2022

Doesn’t Need Me, Still Letting Me Hang Around

 

Doesn’t Need Me, Still Letting Me Hang Around




My most recent post had me secure in my relationship with Mrs. Cranky because she needed me.  She needed me to open our front door which had a sticky lock.  The bolt gets difficult to move every winter.  At 60 degrees it seems to work.  Apparently, she only needs me in the Winter, but that makes her keep me around during the warmer seasons.  Until now.

Mrs. C wanted to just get a new lock.  I didn’t think that would make a difference.  I was convinced the issue was between the bolt and the door plate.

I thought about chiseling out the door and moving the plate a fraction of an inch so the bolt would not stick.  I had second thoughts.  Maybe my adjustment would make the door have a jiggly fit when the weather warmed up.

We called our friendly contractor Frank, who has done so many jobs for us that he gives advice for free…also he has friends in common with Mrs. C from way back.

Frank had a job nearby and offered to come around and take a look.

After about thirty seconds of examining the issue he asked if I had some two inch screws.  I managed to dig out several from my trusty jar of mish-mashed nuts, bolts and screws that I have saved from left over job for sixty years.

Frank replaced the screws in the doors top hinge.  Apparently the door was out of plumb by a tiny bit due to the door hinge 1 1/2 inch screws being imperceptibly loose.

With the door back in plumb the door lock engages and disengages like butter.

I guess I better be on my best behavior for a while.

8 comments:

  1. So glad it was such an easy fix. Don't suppose you can convince Mrs.C that it was an early Valentine's day gift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, stay on your best behavior until something else goes wrong. Then you might be able to slack off a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She definitely needs you still. Who else can she call a jerk several times a day and get away with it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a godsend to have a handyman nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm....I wonder if I could fix our door now and see if Jack notices? I would just smile a little smile and let him guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps she'll keep you around for a bit longer after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your foresightedness for the door system worked well dear Joe .
    how nice it was easy and quick .

    i bet she will be needing you whether door is fixed or bad because she loves you :)

    ReplyDelete