NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Sunday, August 4, 2019

THE CREPITATION CONTEST OF 1946

THE CREPITATION CONTEST OF 1946


In the summer of 1958, a twelve year old Cranky was visiting his Uncle Jack and Cousins Johnny and Dex.  My Uncle was a big man, over 300 pounds with a laugh to match his size.  It was on this visit that I first heard the recording.

My Aunt Sally had gone shopping, and Uncle Jack asked if anyone wanted to hear a funny record.  We all of course said yes, and Uncle Jack proceeded to pull out a small 78 record hidden inside a volume of Compton’s Encyclopedia. 

“Do not tell Aunt Sally, or your folks,” I was admonished by Uncle Jack, “this is a bootleg record.”

Now I was excited.  A bootleg record; was it even legal to listen to such a recording?  Uncle Jack said nothing as he queued up the record and placed the needle on the bootleg disc.

What followed was shocking to a lad that had been raised by WASPS.  Raised by a family of adults who had never uttered a curse word in my presence, always appeared very proper and certainly were not the type to listen to potty humor.

The bootleg recording was produced in 1946 in Canada by two sportscasters as a goof.  Apparently they made several copies, but it was not for distribution.  The recording was copied again and again on disc and reel to reel tape.  It was distributed underground and played in dark rooms and back alleys around the world.

I about peed my pants listening to this record.  It was years later before I ever discussed it with anyone.  It was a bootleg recording.  Was it illegal?  It was just wrong…wasn’t it?

I later met many people who had also heard this recording and also had about peed their pants.  This recording was the earliest example of something gone viral; quietly, and whispered in the dark, viral.

Thanks to the internet I have rediscovered the recording.  If you are immature, and enjoy potty humor, sit back, hit play, and enjoy the blow by blow description of the contest between the champion Englishman Lord Windesmear, and the challenger, Australian Paul Boomer as they compete in:

The Great Crepitation Contest!

It is a bit long, 15 minutes.

Paul Boomer and Lord Windesmear at the farting pole


A re-run from my 13-year-old self July 2013

17 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to say I wasted 15 minutes to listen, when I could have been doing almost anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    This is serious silliness for sure which brings to mind the campfire scene from 'Blazing Saddles'. The first time we watched that movie, I nearly feel off the sofa from laughing so hard. Have a giggletastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally new kind of humor . wait not totally new i see such kind of humor in movies but not often

    hubby laughs but i don't find it funny i don't know why

    having such recording back in 1958 sounds daring to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did everyone have an Uncle Jack while growing up in the 50's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think I needed to be a 13 year old boy for this. Fascinating however that going viral--or vinyl- was all ready going strong in the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got to come back when I have 15 minutes. I'm of course curious to hear it. Wonder what happened to the record? It could be worth something now I'm thinking.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not my kind of humor. Just saying.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ♪♫♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  8. It reminds me of the history i read of a man who called himself Le Petomaine, which roughly translates as The Fartiste. You might look him up, it's quite an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a reason that it was considered boot-leg. It is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would seem that most ladies just do not find humor in potty humor...I still maintain my 13 yo humor, I do apologies...but still funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh at potty humor and fart jokes, but that video...I've heard better farts around the dinner table when I was younger although most farts did happen AFTER the meal. I had a brother who could fart on cue and I envied that at the time but I don't see it as a worthwhile accomplishment these days.

      Delete
  11. I fast forwarded it to the good parts and did laugh..I grew up with 4 brothers after all! I bet your Uncle Jack was the favorite uncle, much better than the "come here kid and pull my finger" Uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad the champion was disqualified, but everybody loves an underdog. I've never heard of this before. I especially liked the build-up to the competition. My 13-year-old self gives you a high-five! And a frog-punch and a wet willy when you're distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll try again to comment and see what happens! This is very funny and I loved the Brit accents. It made as much sense to me as most sport commentary and it sounded genuine. Total schoolboy humor on the surface but the real comedy gems are in that commentary. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I listen to it, will I get deported?

    ReplyDelete