NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Friday, May 27, 2022

WET BLANKETS

 

WET BLANKETS


 

Just when I think I am done with this blogging thing, something hits my anger bone and I have to vent.

What is it with people that are so anxious to let you know that your good news might not be what you expect?

A person who is getting married:

“I am so happy, I just got engaged!”

“You know, marriage is not always what it is cracked up to be, and 40% of all marriages end up in divorce!”

Why thank you so much, isn’t that helpful information.

Why do people do this?  Why must they take the wind out of someone’s sails? What do they expect in response?

“Oh, thank you very much for that information, I guess I’ll just call the whole thing off.”

Just found out you are pregnant.

“I am so happy; I am going to have a baby!”

“You know babies are a lot of work and they are expensive, diapers, braces, college and don’t expect to get much sleep for the next few years.”

Great information and so helpful.

Here is another one I personally experienced a few years ago.

“Finally, after so many years I am retiring!” 

“Oh, you know retirement is not all it is cracked up to be.  What are you going to do with yourself and all that free time?  Maybe you could volunteer for things.” 

I got this kind of helpful advice from several people.

Not really that helpful, especially as my retirement was not actually voluntary.

By the way if any of those dopy-downers read this, Retirement is FRIGGIN GREAT!!!

What is wrong with people that they can’t wait to throw a wet blanket over anyone’s news.

News flash: (I hate that opening, and yet here I am doing it)

Most people that are getting married have given it some thought.  If you think they are making a mistake, it is a mistake that they are going to make with or without your big mouth so S…T…F…U!

People that announce happily that they are having a baby have given it some thought and they are happy.  Your big mouth is not going to send them to an abortion clinic, so S…T…F…U!

Most of the working world looks forward to retirement, they have thought about it and planned for it with great expectations…in what galaxy is your frigging comment going to be helpful?  S…T…F…U!

Most people are aware of the possible downside to any event in their life, and most times the event can not be reversed. 

Here is a suggestion for when you are told of any such event.

“That is wonderful, I am so happy for you!”

Otherwise just S…T…F…U!


I feel better already.

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Retirement is more than great. I agree, keep your negative opinions to yourself.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retirement is GREAT
    Thanks for STFU, Joe I'm definitely stealing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying my retirement to the fullest, and blogging is just one of the activities that keep me occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students had their own name for a wet blanket: a fun-sucker, sucking all the fun out of any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, retirement is great. I can do what I want, when I want, or do nothing if that is what I feel like. i was very happy when my younger son told me his girlfriend was pregnant and twice as happy when they found out it is twins. He is an uncle so he already knows about the work involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the need but delighted you found a reason to post. Your rants usually hit on a subject most of us agree with. Kind of feel sorry for the downers. What a bleak life they must live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I am so happy for you" is the only response i give, unless the person makes it obvious that this was not according to plan. If you'd told me, before you retired, that you were retiring but it wasn't voluntary, i would have said, "Retirement can be wonderful, this might turn out to be for the best, i'll be praying for you." That's actually what i said to someone whose retirement wasn't by choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! What great news! Then shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I’m buying a diesel truck. Do you know the price of gas now what it’s gonna cost you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why yes...yes I do, I sometimes read the news. It will cost me nothing directly, but indirectly I will feel the price increase. Why, I am curious, do you ask as it has zero point zero to do with this post...but thank you for your interest...I guess

      Delete
  10. When I retired I got lots of comments..."My best friend, cousin, brother, etc. died right after retirement." "You'll be bored". "Are you moving into an condo?" "Thank goodness Jack is still working or he'll drive you nuts". "As soon as my husband retired he got dementia". Then when I decided to go back to work part-time the same folks who said to never retire asked why the heck would I want to go back to work? Heck if I know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am waiting for the retirement of my husband so we can move from hot city to bit cooler one

    ReplyDelete
  12. My personal most annoying thing people do, if you're going in for a Surgery or have an Illness, they can't wait to tell you some absolute Horror Story about it, you know, as if that's Helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete