NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Woah Man’s Work


Woah Man’s Work (satire alert is on)

Ah for the good old days where work was separated around the house as man’s work and woman’s work.

Man’s work was taking out the garbage, mowing the lawn, raking the leaves and cleaning the garage.  When that was done man could put up his feet, drink beer and watch the game.

Ah the good old days.

These days woman’s work is for both genders.  For the most part man’s work has not changed, but let’s face it, man’s work has always been pretty easy, sweaty perhaps, but still pretty easy.

Woman’s work, on the other hand, we men have found is pretty hard.  Well, not actually that difficult, it is just the difference in gender standards. 

Women believe in “perfect.”

Men ascribe to its “Good’n’uff.”

Women’s standard trumps men’s standard, but often not without a battle.

Woman’s standards have been established by generations of homemakers trying to out do each other.  Clean laundry, clean floors, and spotless dishes are critiqued by neighbors, in-laws and TV commercials.  Anything less than perfect and women will be talked about. Being talked about is serious business to a woman.

Man’s standard of “Good’n’uff” is the result of a combination of lazy and thinking out of the box for a quicker way to do anything.  “Good’n’uff” is also man’s way of doing woman’s work with dignity.  If you do not understand that concept, you are a woman…or maybe a little gay (not that there is anything wrong with that.)

The result of these two standards, and the integration of all housework to be non-gender specific, is a cause of much strife in marriages today. 

Men are expected to do some of the housework, but they can never measure up to a woman’s standards.  Even if they do, a woman worth her salt will find and point out a flaw…if you do not understand this concept, you are a man.

No matter how much I scrub and clean the bathroom, my wife will find a hair where I just finished cleaning.  All rooms have small hairs floating around just waiting for somewhere to fall after it has been wiped, it is a law of nature.  It happens after a woman cleans up, but a man never notices because everything is “Good’n’uff.”

When a man loads the dishwasher a woman always needs to readjust the load to get in one more dish, apparently it saves on water which is very important. 

“You would know that if you paid the water bill!”

A man can put the clean dishes away, but only 90% of them.  Women switch where some dishes go, and women always must finish the job, as if leaving some dishes on the counter isn’t “Good’n’uff.”

The interesting thing about today’s Woah Man’s work is that if a man can actually achieve a woman’s standards it upsets the natural way of things.  When a man does everything just right, a woman feels incomplete.  She cannot concede that a man could learn to do more than just “Good’n’uff.”

A man quickly learns that a woman needs to put her touch on any household chore to feel complete.  Men quickly learn that “Good’n’uff” is actually perfect.  Much like if a woman actually mows the lawn, she will leave a few un-cut clumps to make her man feel special.

And so, battles go and truces are found.

18 comments:

  1. And then there’s the janitor, who comes home tired and doesn’t care how her husband has done anything, so long as it’s done and she doesn’t have to clean anything else.

    Also, he works with me on certain jobs, and he does it just fine (he was a janitor’s helper in high school).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually my husband is fussier than I am about how things get cleaned. I’m happy for him to redo it if I think it’s “good’n’uff”. Our dishwasher and refrigerator are well-organized - definitely not by me. Maybe you’re right - after 51 years, we’ve called a truce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG 'Women switch where some dishes go, and women always must finish the job,' that was me. No wonder my Joe did a lot of 'tutting' when I took over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a laugh out of every sentence, thanks :)
    I gave up on perfection long ago. it no longer matters as long as the job is done. Getting it done perfectly takes many years of practice and really, life is too short to quibble about the way sheets or towels are folded and whether or not someone vacuumed under the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband works 60 plus hours a week, so I'm stuck doing most of his jobs. The worst is shoveling snow and using a snowblower. I do a pretty good job, but by the end of winter, I often do a good 'n'uff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can never load the dishwasher right. I’ll have it loaded and ready to go that evening and then the next morning when I go to put dishes back in the cabinets, they’ve been magically rearranged. It’s a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. " ... my wife will find a hair where I just finished cleaning." AND be sure to point it and every other teensy 'fail' out. That's where the thing goes off the rails. Took us a few years to work out the kinks as Queenie's parents were master nit-pickers (both) whilst mine were good-nuffers all around. We're somewhere in between ..... but it took a few years to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband was extremely neat and tidy and I am all about clean and things worked out very well between us. Now in a budding new relationship I am discovering some disturbing hoarding tendencies. I am too old to think I can change a man. This may be a deal breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took me a while but I finally convinced the hubs that a job is just a job...if you see it...do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so relevant and funny, and something each couple works out on their own....I learned very early on that if Romeo wants to clean, I'd best not criticize it or I would hear the dreaded : "Then I'll leave it to you", meaning I could have that job, no matter what it is, for all time: meaning forever. So, when he tackles a job, I approve and move on, even if I do find a hair ~ lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious, but alas, I fear I may be turning into a (gasp!) man. I've always done all the stereotypical "woman's work" around the house, (and always will, as long as I'm able) and before my hubby retired, I also did the stereotypical man's work, too, like cutting the grass and washing the cars. It made his time at home more enjoyable for both of us. Since he's retired, I've definitely joined the ranks of "good enough." If the Department of Health doesn't condemn us, I reckon we're doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant, very funny. As I get older I subscribe to 'Life is too short to spend it doing housework'. Good'n'uff is fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a delight joeh and I am so happy to learn the origin of "good’n’uff." It's in that Y chromosome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that men do their chores better'n'uff if they have a fancy gadget to operate while doing it. The bigger and louder, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have found some men who deliberately do a shoddy job so as the female of the species doesn't ask them to do the work in the future...I give you my ex husband and several male nurses, Your Honour, as exhibits A through to Z.
    You may, of course, cage those exhibits and make some moolah off them being pelted with rotten tomatoes by the aforementioned females of the species.
    Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some children with a similar modus operendi

      Delete
  16. My sister used to pull those "Good'n'uff" things when we were kids - and then my mother used to make me do it over again. No wonder I became a perfectionist... though I have relaxed a lot as I got older.

    ReplyDelete