NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Today’s Cartoons


Today’s Cartoons

My bowling buddy Captain Glen* posted this and it just set me off.

In the good old days, cartoons were fun.  Mice filling a football stadium till it almost burst, rabbits foiling hunters, ducks fooling rabbits, ducks who got tied in knots trying to set up a beach chair, a cayote getting beaned or blown to smithereens trying to catch a fast running bird, and a bubble armed sailor protecting the innocent from bullies when he ate his spinach.  All these and more that as kids would have us roaring with laughter and yelling for more.

Today’s cartoons?  Yes, I have watched them, with youngest son and later with my grandchildren.  Every blanking one of them has to teach something or convey a message.  They teach the alphabet, and numbers, and sounds that a farm animal makes.  They demonstrate how bullying is mean, why you should be polite to mommy, and have good manners at dinner. 

None of these lessons of today’s cartoons are funny.  They don’t entertain; kids do not yell for more.

Do they teach children?

Maybe, but I’m pretty sure that the alphabet song has done the trick for generations, a dancing singing letter does not really improve the process.  “Old McDonald” nailed the farm animal issue just fine.  Popeye and the road runner preached comeuppance to bullies.  Do the new cartoons successfully teach children to be polite? 

You tell me. I don’t see it.

But Cranky, those old cartoons were so violent!  

Maybe, but I don’t remember any kids emulating what they saw.  No boulders dropped on heads, no cats being turned inside out, no bombs planted under butts.  As a matter of fact, we learned all these things could have dire consequences.

But Cranky in all those old cartoons no one ever was killed from the bombs and falling pianos and electrocutions…wasn’t that confusing to young impressionable minds?

Well, no, because even at a very young age it was pretty clear that these were JUST CARTOONS!  Children can separate real from fantasy.  They can do this because they have a brain!

We learned lessons form those old cartoons while actually being entertained.  More importantly we also learned to laugh and we learned that every gad dang thing in your young life does not have to be a freaking learning experience…we learn by experiencing stuff and we can learn while we laugh.

So yes, I am glad I grew up with cartoons that were produced by entertainers and not graduates with a degree in childhood education.  Cartoons produced for fun and not with the expectation of making the world a better place.  The world is a lesser place without laughter. And almost all of today’s cartoons do not entertain and are not funny.

Teach your children in school, read to them, teach them by example, but for crying out loud let them laugh and learn to just be a kid some of the time.

At least “Sponge Bob” gets it.  A talking sponge that lives in Bikini Bottom.  Do children get the Bikini Bottom joke?  No, and they also don’t believe that sponges can talk and sing and catch jelly fish with a net.  They do laugh and enjoy the silliness.  Let them, life is full of nothing else but lessons, a little bit of silliness from a duck or a rabbit or a sponge will not hurt them.   


*BTW we clinched first with three weeks to go thanks to Glen learning how to hit the ten-pin…wish he could teach me.

14 comments:

  1. We know what cartoons are. Bugs Bunny, The Roadrunner and the list goes on and on. I still enjoy our cartoons.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to bring up SpongeBob because it was the only cartoon I ever watched with my kids. They also liked RugRats, but I couldn't stand that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a gun, I would have blown out my brains watching "Caillou."

      Delete
  3. Don’t forget Foghorn Leghorn:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember the comics in the newspaper? We called them the "funny pages"...Hagar the Horrible, Beetle Bailey, Snuffy Smith, Archie... There's nothing funny about them anymore. Pity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the best of the old cartoons, half the jokes were way over the head of the kids watching 'em. We used to have Rocky & Bullwinkle watch parties when I was in college, 'cuz we finally got the jokes (and as long as we're on the topic, howcumizzit that Boris & Natasha were Russians, but Fearless Leader was a Nazi? I've never understood that. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your bowling victory! I hope there's a nominal monetary reward. In all his years of bowling, Hick's team came out on top only ONCE. His share of prize money was $85. He never told me, but one of his teammates worked with me, and let it slip. I confronted him a year later. It took Hick two more years to figure out how I knew.

    The only "modern" cartoon that I liked to watch with my kids was Catdog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Sponge Bob does give lessons. My favorite? The guy from the Crusty Crab telling him: "watch out for the hooks Sponge Bob!" If that's not a life lesson I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to agree here, the cartoons back then were terrific. The "wascawwy wabbit" was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today's cartoons are geared more for the adult approval. I never watched them as a youngster--I was probably riding my pony on Saturday mornings when cartoons owned the channels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are spot on!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we think alike dear Joe

    i feel lucky that i been used to watch donald duck ,mickey mouse ,popoy loony toons ,tom an jerry ,pink panther and so so many more like them which taught us without making us feel that we are being taught actually

    now day when my kids see avatar, Naruto and attack on titans it makes me sick because most of cartoon teach much violence

    i loved Sesame street when i was young and the houseful when i was in my teens

    ReplyDelete
  12. I quit watching cartoons with my kids when I felt like they would give me an epileptic attack.

    ReplyDelete