NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Monday, May 14, 2018

CRUISE CONTROL

CRUISE CONTROL
 This cranky re-run is from May 2014
Mrs. Cranky does the driving in the Cranky family.  There are several reasons for this.  First, she will not let me drive her car, she says I’ll move the seat and the mirrors and she will never get them back to the correct Mrs. Cranky setting.  Second, she will not drive my Jeep because it has no cruise control.  Third she does not like the way I drive.  She says I keep bobbing my head; it’s a Tourette’s thing.

Anyway, when we are together we take her car and she drives.  I am fine with this as she is a pretty good driver; except for one thing… cruise control.

Mrs. Cranky drives me crazy with the cruise control.  I believe cruise control should only be used on long straight highways with practically no traffic.  That means it should only be used in Texas and Kansas.  Cruise control on the eastern seaboard is dangerous.

Mrs. C does not care, she insists on using cruise control.  When the car in front of Mrs. C does not decide to choose to drive at the Mrs. Cranky selected speed we creep up dangerously to their bumper before Mrs. C has to quickly pause the CC or veer suddenly to pass.  This makes me uneasy.

When a car pulls behind Mrs. C at a rate above the Mrs. C selected velocity it gets ugly.  If she cannot pull over due to traffic, much tailgating, light flashing, horn honking and finger raising ensues.  This makes me uneasy.

“Why do you bother with cruise control in this traffic?  It’s dangerous.”

“No it isn’t.”

“Then why is my hair standing on end?”

“You’re bald!”

“That is not the point.  That frickin cruise control makes me nervous and you have to pause it or override it so often what is the point?”

“I use less gas when on cruise control.”

“How do you know that?”

“That is what experts say, and I always get better mileage when I use cruise control.”

“You use cruise control on the highway.  The whole world gets better mileage on the highway whether they use cruise control or not.”

“I like cruise control!”

“It makes me nervous, let me drive.”

“No way, your head bobbing makes me nervous.”

“Maybe I get better mileage by bobbing my head.”

“Yeah, maybe, and maybe you’re a jerk!”

I think I am going to have to learn to get used to cruise control.

13 comments:

  1. Cruise control is how the devil makes no work for idle feet. It might be used in Oklahoma on the turnpike, or Montana under the big sky, but nobody needs cruise control for urban driving or busy highways.

    I am curious about your head bobbing. Because in our car, MY head is the one that's bobbing, while Hick is the driver. He stomps the brake, and pops my head into the headrest at every stop sign and change of speed. Which is usually at the last minute, due to refusing to break his cruising speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cruise control is great for going to the next city. Within the city, forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely used it because traffic conditions didn't allow. I did like the way it gave me a smoother drive on motorways though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that cruise control isn't to be used within city traffic where people drive at different speeds etc, it's a highway thing, handy for driving across our Nullarbor Plain for instance, but you have to live with Mrs C, so you'll just have to accept it being usedn unnecessarily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used cruis control on previous vehicles....it freaks me out to not have my foot on the gas pedal....I need to be in control. We have had this vehicle now for seven years and the cruise control has never been used. Head bobbing huh? I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also do the driving most of the time. I only use cruise on the open highway. We have a lot of Amish and the horses woudnt like me on their tail...get it..on their tail...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you're going to have to get used to cruise control because now she's going to use it every time you're in the car. Just saying.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has Mrs. C suggested putting your mouth on cruise control?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally with you on this one Joe. Cruise should be for long straight roads. We can't use it here for you are either going up, down, left or right. Finding a straight stretch long enough to even pass another car is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never used it once in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I could easily see how cruise would be a mistake when around predominantly Jersey drivers. There is no such thing 'round there as consistent speed or going with the flow..... here in podunk I can use it around town if'n I want, there's so little traffic you could cruise for miles without having to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you on this one. About 99% of my driving is done in town, in traffic. I can't remember the last time I used my cruise control.

    ReplyDelete