NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Can I Fix You A Plate?

Can I Fix You A Plate?
Have you ever heard the phrase, “Can I fix you a plate?”  I hear this at Mrs. C’s family gatherings a lot.  I don’t know if it is particular to her family, or if it is an Italian thing.  These are gatherings where food is buffet style, and by food, I mean FOOD.  There is lots of food, meat, chicken, pasta, stuffed shells, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed relatives, and it is all really good.
The first time I heard the expression I heard someone say,
“Foods on…can I fix you a plate?”
They weren't asking me, but still I did not even know what that meant.
I asked Mrs. C,
“What is fix you a plate? I've never heard that before.”
“It means get food for you, my mom always got my father a plate, he never got his own food.  It is pretty common.”
“But how would anyone know what anyone might want?”
“You either specify, or fixing a plate would be a little of everything.”
“So, if you go to a restaurant and the waitress takes your order, does anyone ever just say, ‘Fix me a plate’?”
“No…Jerk! It is just an expression at a gathering, usually family, usually buffet.”
“Is it an Italian thing?”
“I don’t know.  It is a my family thing.  I never thought of it.  Lots of the wives will just fix a plate for their husband or even a boyfriend, it is kind of a tradition.
New Years Day we were at Mrs. C’s Aunts shore house for a family gathering.  I heard someone say, “Foods on.”
I asked Mrs. C, “You know what I like, can you fix me a plate.”
“Wrong wife, fix you own plate.”
Damn, so much for a really good tradition.
“OK, I’ll get my own food.”
“While you’re up, fix me a plate.”

20 comments:

  1. Funny!
    DH often fixes me a plate to bring home if he goes to some family thing.
    Believe it's a northern and a southern thing ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do it for kids around here. But if the husband is talking or watching football or playing a game, the wife will sometimes ask if he wants her to fix him a plate. Usually doesn't work the other way around, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a bit cheeky of Mrs C to explain it all then tell you to et your own, "and while you're at it..."
    It isn't entirely an Italian thing, Greeks and Spanish people say it too. I think it is one of those things where family/friend gatherings happen on many occasions throughout the year and there is always a buffet style feast. Much, much better than a formal sit down dinner if you ask me. Latecomers and "hangers-on" are easily accommodated and the leftovers are often parcelled up and sent home with anybody who wants them, or there is a smaller, just immediate family, lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet you wished you hadn't asked! I have heard the expression before but can't think where. I guess I'll spend the rest of the day wondering!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of that, but I agree with you that it makes more sense to get the portions you want yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're not remotly Italian but that is a common expression here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally cracked up at "wrong wife." She does keep you on your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I've heard the expression before, it's not a "thing" in my family. Mrs. C has your number, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your wife. I know you do too. She's my kind of gal.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a San Franciscan, I know a lot of Italians and as soon as you come into their house, they say that! Even if it is not even time for a meal. I'm not Italian but my mom always served my dad first so I do the same with my husband. It's tradition maybe? I find joy, in "plating" his food. I know I know, how disgusting is that????

    ReplyDelete
  11. If someone fixes you a plate, how do you know that you'll get enough of the really good stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard that expression. I might extend the offer to a hungry toddler but that would be the extent of it=

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard the expression but not sure where since in my home it was every man/woman/child for themselves! I do fix Jack a sandwich every once in a while...hmmm, I'm going to tell him next time that I "fixed him a plate" and see what happens. Probably he'll just ask me if I'd make him another one! Stay warm and safe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heh. . . What Patti said about keeping you on your toes. . .

    I dated an Italian girl for a while during college, and I never heard that expression. But her mom, God bless her, is the only person who ever accused me of being 'so skinny; you need to eat!'

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard this my whole life. My mom was never big on fixing plates but my aunts and cousins were. I say it, everybody in my family says it. Maybe you're just the odd man out Cranky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha
    joke 's apart this tradition sounds like one is here that mostly women of house get plate to men of houses .
    i am lucky that hubby don't mind if he sees me busy anywhere else he brings food not only for himself but for me too

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was one of those expressions I learned when I came to the States (for some reason, this expression was not taught in English class in my school). But my thinking is along your lines...I'd be afraid I might not get enough dessert if someone other than me fixed my plate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your page was @ topmost in the search results and that too as a "Knowledge Panel" when I searched for the meaning of the phrase "fix a plate" https://imgur.com/a/IOKF0V4

    ��

    ���������� from India ����������

    ReplyDelete