NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Feeling Superior

Feeling Superior
A cranky opinion for
CRANKY OPINION SATURDAY
The following is the opinion of a cranky old man who as usual has a bug up his butt.  Opposing opinions are allowed, but they are wrong.  As always, please, no name calling, and that means you, you big stupid-head!
I unashamedly admit to watching reality TV.  I unashamedly read internet comments at the end of a story.  Why, you may ask do I watch and read this trash?
It makes me feel superior.
When I am feeling down on myself, thinking my life has been a failure compared to the many successful people I know, I turn on the TV and watch “90 Day Fiance.”
Ah yes, next to Danielle and Mohamed, and Nicole and Azan, I am a genius.  What?  You don’t know these people?  You need to tune into this show.  It will do wonders for your self-esteem.  “The Real Housewives of New Jersey” might pump you up a bit as well.
I love TV, when I feel low, TV lifts me up.
Then there is the internet.  Any story on the internet, political, sports, economic, or entertainment will solicit nasty, negative, racist and simply mean comments.  A story about a faithful dog that saved a baby from a fire will eventually elicit comments like:
“F*ck the stupid dog, that baby is now probably going to grow up to be a libtard on the government tit!”  
or
“If it was not for friggin republicants, there would never have been a fire, they are against all government safety regulations!”
I read these and I feel like a superior human being.
I just read an article about a 22-year-old recent college graduate.  She was feeling a twinge of guilt during Thanksgiving, because she had so much and others had so little.  She decided to give a little to those in need.  She tweeted that she was gong to give to the St. Jude Hospital for Children, a very worthwhile charity.  She vowed to donate 25 cents for every “favorite” her tweet received and 50 cents for every “retweet.”
this time of year is about giving - this year, I am giving back to St. Jude & the families who are supported by their amazing services 

every favorite : $.25
every retweet : $.50 

go give. go st. Jude!!
Her tweet went viral.  Based on “favorites” and “retweets” she would have to donate $200,000.  She was only planning on giving $1000. 
She announced that she could not match as she had promised, and asked instead for others to donate while she was going to give $1000.
Kind of funny, and still very thoughtful and admirable in my opinion.
The internet exploded with negative comments.  Because she tweeted without putting a donation limit on her promise she was called a welcher and a ne’er-do-well!
My favorite was,
 Uggh... we from an older generation have a saying… so you wrote a check you can’t cash did ya? It is a shame… St Jude is a great cause! Too bad you decided to make a commitment that you can’t honor.”
SORRY ASSHAT!  SHE DID NOT HAVE A LAWYER READ HER TWEET AND ADVISE THAT SHE STIPULATE A LIMIT ON HER DONATION!
That is just a tame version of how stupid internet trolls can be.  The young lady wanted to do something nice, she did do something nice but did not anticipate the power of a tweet gone viral, and a bunch of d-bags just have to put in their two cents and berate her.
Makes me feel superior!
The preceding was the opinion of a cranky old man, and not necessarily that of management…Mrs. Cranky.

14 comments:

  1. It is for similar reasons that I don't join Facebook and the like. Oh dear, the world is full of sad people; how dare they challenge the goodness of that lady. Carry on feeling superior and I hope that lady does too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All i can say is, when i see something that makes me want to feel superior, i remember that "there, but for the grace of G-d, go i."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been known to read the comments after listening to a You-tube music video. I am usually stunned at the non-relevant rants that appear. It doesn't make me feel superior however but terribly sad for these people. What miserable lives they must live and God help those who live with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read about the girl tweet going viral. If she had done like a lot of people, a donation of a gust of hot air over the internet would have been made. She was a sweet girl.

    I read the comments too. You can't make some of the over the top comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good way to see it.

    I'm just the opposite. I'm always intimidated by all of the experts online. When I'm at work, I can't even find someone who knows how to fix a jammed-up photocopier, but online, EVERYONE is an expert on economics, every religion, medicine, law, health, sociology, race, etc.

    So many millions of experts in everything!

    Where are these people in everyday life when I need them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feeling superior is a dangerous thing methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently my satire is not very good,

      Delete
    2. I think your satire was PERFECT!! I enjoy watching 90 Day Fiance & I've often wondered why. Maybe your reason was it.

      Delete
    3. Now I can feel superior to your satire skill. Even though I know even less about satire than I do about irony.

      I love reading internet comments. Some people are nearly frothing at the fingers when they type. Plus I like to feel superior when they call someone a "doosh," or say "walla" when they mean "voila." Yes, the comments are as good as reality TV. I'm a fan of both, but I gave up on 90 Day Fiance. Or "feonce" as I've seen some commenters type it.

      That girl was donating $1000. Which is probably $1000 more than those people criticizing her.

      Delete
  7. Lol, it's my favorite show, by a long shot! I got my daughter and son-in-law hooked as well. I can understand feeling superior; I like to say that watching the show is teaching me about cultural diversity 😄 Reddit has a huge 90DF following and the discussion is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watching TV or reading stories on the Internet doesn't make me feel smarter. It makes me worry about the future of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watch "Hoarders" when I want my house to feel clean and picked up, so I totally "get" you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Satire is constructive Joe !

    I used to watch reality shows some years ago but now it seems everything is dramatized not genuine so lost interest .

    i sometimes unconsciously feel as i am sitting on a peak of Everest looking below at people 's desperation for meaningless aims ,for moment it makes me feel superior but next moment my coward version ( Only God has right to feel superior) drag me from their and put among the crazy crowd ,could not enjoy that moment until now

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love 90 Day Fiance! Makes me feel much better about my life. They're all a mess.

    ReplyDelete