NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Cooking Cranky Style part four

Cooking Cranky Style part four
Because apparently there are not enough cook books in this world, books by kooks, cooks, crooks and chicks with looks, I am contemplating adding one more…a cook book by a crank, “Cooking Cranky Style.”  A book of Cranky recipes.  Meals that are quick, easy, need no special ingredients and are tasty.  Food that is not special, but that anyone can make. Simple stuff that can be whipped together without extensive shopping, planning and measuring.  Meals that are easy clean ups.
Part 4
Crank-a-roni a Jerseylicious treat
OK, is this just a copy of the San Francisco treat?
Why yes, yes, it is.
The difference is you don’t always have a box of rice-a-roni when you want it, and a box to serve four costs $3.00.  The ingredients for Crank-a-roni are in your cupboard and a serving for 4 will cost about eighty cents (not counting the wine)
Ingredients:
Several globs of butter
Fifteen strands of thin spaghetti
Two cups of rice (minute rice will do)
One beef or chicken bouillon cube
Salt
Pepper
Season salt
2 glasses of Merlot
1. Break the spaghetti into ¾ inch pieces.
2. Melt one glob of butter in a pan.
3. Add the spaghetti pieces and the rice to the medium heat pan and stir.
4. Add another glob of butter and continue to stir until the “roni” is toasted.
5. Pour a large glass of Merlot and sip generously while stirring.
6. When the “roni” and the rice are toasted, add 2 cups of water and turn up the heat.
7. Add broken-up-bouillon cube, pinch of salt, five seconds of fine pepper grinding and four healthy shakes of season salt and stir to a rapid boil.
8. Turn heat to simmer and cover.  Stir occasionally and heat for 4 or 5 minutes till water is absorbed and or evaporated.
9. Try a spoonful and continue on simmer if too moist (you will know)
10. Finish the large glass of Merlot

Plate your crank-a-roni as a side to chicken or steak
Pour the second glass of merlot
Eat, drink and enjoy…you just saved $2.20!

18 comments:

  1. Hhhmm.. I've got a freezer full of elk, will it go with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, use a beef bouillon cube and Merlot goes well with elk.

      Delete
  2. Seems like a lot of salt. This would be one of those make as directed first time then adjust to suit next time meals.

    ReplyDelete

  3. The only trouble is ... I don't like Merlot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The addition of two glasses of wine is a brilliant addition to most any recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks doable, tasty and I love how you measure butter. I can't do wine, which makes all things better as a side, but am thinking of adding raisins and toasted almonds to the mix. We will see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can do the Merlot part. Very well.

    Have a fabulous day, Joe. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds yummy; I may try it tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly never thought to do this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next time someone here wants 'roni, this is what s/he is getting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say, as a San Franciscan I've never seen a copycat recipe for rice-a-roni. I totally have to try this. I grew up on rice a roni- my mom loved it. It's one of my go to "comfort foods".

    Hey, I can get it for as low as .89 a box. Want me to send you some?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does look tasty, and it's something I know Id enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I especially like that the recipe includes the 2 glasses of Merlot! So very simple but sounds delicious!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your Cranky Cookbook is a ring binder kind of book. I would put this recipe near the back. Not saying it isn't tasty, but it's not my taste. I don't have rice or bullion or Merlot in the house. I'm not particularly crazy about Rice-A-Roni, either, and this seems like a lot of work.

    Other than that, this sounds like a great recipe for your proposed cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I probably could take the Merlot and substitute all the other ingredients with a veggie burger and a bun. Maybe add mustard and a pickle. My kind of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a good idea Joe!
    enjoyed way of sharing particularly

    ReplyDelete