NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Sunday, December 4, 2016

MOMMA WAS A DOODLE!

MOMMA WAS A DOODLE!
This re-run is from December 2013, I had planned another, but this post by Karen of Angel Stew and Devil Brew inspired this instead.

So I just was watching “Driving Miss Daisy” and in the movie, Dan Aykroyd often tells Miss Daisy, “Momma you’re a Doodle.”  I loved that line.  It makes me think of my own “Momma” as she was also a Doodle. 

I pulled out our Christmas stuff last week and in the box was a Christmas stocking my mom knitted (crocheted?) and it reminded of one more reason why my Momma was a Doodle.

Mom’s sister, my Aunt Eleanor, knitted Christmas stockings. They were beautiful Christmas red and green with a child’s name across the top and a jolly Santa in the middle.  Aunt Eleanor gave mom the pattern and taught her how to make the stockings.  Mom made several and they were all very nice.  Then she came to my stocking.  Apparently she was out of the traditional Christmas red and green colors, but that would not stop mom. 

She bought some new yarn of not so traditional colors.  She bought pink (for the red) and chartreuse (kinda green).  I’m not sure of the other grandchildren, but all of my children received the pink and chartreuse stockings.

The traditional red and green stockings would have been nice, and at the time we got our strange stockings I felt a little put-out that we got the off color Christmas stockings.  As the years go by, I am glad my family got the pink and chartreuse stockings. 
Every year when I hang mine up, I get to fondly remember,
My son Matt's stocking
"You're a Doodle, Momma!"

18 comments:

  1. Love the stocking and the coloring in it! It was made with love, as all the other stockings your mom made! My mom made out of stocking gifts with felt Christmas stockings for her 3 kids, our spouses, and the children that were born prior to her passing. I love to look at the stockings and display them, but saddens me there are those that have been born afterwards that never will be gifted with a stocking or got to know that special woman she was. She was a Doodle too, but I love that Doodle, as I know you love your Doodle Momma too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one become a Doodle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now why did my eyes water when I read this? I never heard the word doodle before but I hope it catches on over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw. You got the most special stockings of all. I love the pink and wow, as someone who knits and crochets, that's amazing work. Lots of love in those stitches... - And thank you for the shout out. I'm happy you chose this post to re-run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now i know i had two Grandmothers who were Doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sweet and special memory, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet memory and what a sweet Doodle to spend all that time making special unique stockings just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that she made something extra special for your kids. Kind of like you were her favorite.
    I am unaware of the meaning of doodle. Guess I need to Google.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just priceless. That chartreuse reminds me of The Grinch! So it really is in the holiday color realm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your mother was quite the accomplished knitter! The stockings are adorable and having a non-traditional color scheme makes them super special! Yep, she was a doodle and you were fortunate to have her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that stocking too. Very well done and from the heart. Yes your mom was a doodle, and that's a very good thing.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that movie. My own mother was definitely NOT a doodle; she's not going quietly into that good night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think she was creative and I can see why you have become fond of the stockings. And they are definitely knitted, not crocheted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. NEVER in a million years would I have described your mother as a Doodle......Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couldn't help think about old Doc Holiday: "I'm your huckleberry."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who doesn't love chartreuse? I know I do :)
    R

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is some impressive knitting-needlework!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm...still don't know quite what a "doodle" is, but I know they rock!

    ReplyDelete