NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Monday, December 19, 2016

Christmas


Christmas


I consider myself a Christian.  I was born a Christian, I was sent to Sunday school and church as a child, what would you expect me to do or be?  Convert to Judaism?  Become Muslim? Believe in nothing?  All possibilities, but I am too lazy to switch beliefs and not prepared to believe in nothing, so I call myself a Christian.  I seldom go to church, and to tell the truth I have my doubts.  Many Christians would say because of that I am not a very good Christian.  I would respond, “How Christian is it for you to judge me?”

Anyway, if I could make one argument for being Christian, it would be Christmas.  Christmas is the greatest holiday of all.  Easter has more significance in the religion, but nothing tops Christmas.  Christmas is the reason many Christians remain Christian.  It is one thing to give up some beliefs, but give up Christmas?  NEVER!

Christmas is a great holiday.  It is not a day, it is a season.  Atheists may try and stifle Christmas, but it will never happen.  We have lights, we have presents, we have a Saint who flies in a sleigh pulled by reindeer.  Who can top that.  We have music that lifts you and just makes you feel good. 

Christmas is so big it is should be more than just for Christians.  Christians invite everyone to enjoy this the greatest holiday of all.  You don’t have to call it a celebration of the birth of Christ, just call it a celebration of life itself (to Christians, kind of the same thing.) 

Give presents, hang lights, sing, celebrate!  Wish strangers “Merry Christmas!”  It’s OK.  Christmas is more than a religious holiday for Christians, it is a season of cheer and friendship and love for everyone.  It transcends any religion.  It is a season for sharing, and should be shared by all regardless of your belief.

So, if you are a Jew, a Muslim, Hindi, agnostic, or you believe in nothingness…you can still get in the spirit of Christmas.  Yes, it is a Christian day, but Christians believe in sharing, and we are more than willing to share Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all!

24 comments:

  1. You do realize if you keep writing these warm n' fuzzy posts you're going to have to change the name of your blog, right? :) Great post. Merry Christmas to all, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet old man doesn't have quite the same ring to it--be very careful!!

      Delete
  2. I think it is neat (at least here compared to where we lived before) that clerks in stores are actually saying "Merry Christmas" again instead of "Happy Holidays." It is also neat to see the various businesses (and quite a few down here) that are actually closed on Christmas, like grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Its refreshing! Its the most magical time of the year!

    Merry Christmas!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you too and I'll probably say it again before the actual day, but you won't mind hearing it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, like many, don't or can't go to church but that doesn't stop us believing in our faith. We can still pray at home and enjoy Christmas. Hope you have a good one, even a magical one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Christmas although I am not a Christian. Most of the things that are so much fun about the season are hijacked traditions of preChristian times anyway. (It is likely that Jesus was actually born in the summertime.) I Say Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas both. Now I have just considered...is that offensive to the keep Christ in Christmas folks? For nonChristians to say Merry Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Joe and Karen. I think it's a good thing to be christian. I'm one too, one just like you.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very much the same belief system here.....also a little shy on the church attendance. Christmas is for everyone. It's for the planet. It's for nature. Get out there and enjoy it and, if you can, make it Christmas every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas, even if it does tarnish the Crank!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and Mrs. C and all the extended Crankys! The very best of holiday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There has been a holiday at this time of year for thousands of years, long before the supposed birth of Christ. I don't mind sharing the holiday with everyone who is willing to be loving and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I think there are a lot of univseral elements in having the holidays at the end of the year like this. Certainly, it gives people a chance to assess their year and their life. You get some time off and to see people who perhaps general busy-ness has prevented you from seeing all year.

    It's important to have a little bit of time to be happy and look around before launching into another year, and Christmas/New Year's provides that for the entire society, even without the religious stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Christmas, too. I have found, that it seems, more people are going out of their way to actually say the "forbidden." They are saying, Merry Christmas.

    Merry Christmas. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faith isn't a place or blind belief, it's something inside you. I was brought up as a Christian, I went to church, I even sang in the choir. I don't go very often now but it's stayed with me. Merry Christmas Joe and Mrs C.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas! It doesn't sound right to say "Cranky Christmas."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent point. It is a holiday for all who just want to feel good about humanity. Merry Christmas Cranky, Mrs C and all younger Cranks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agreed! Merry Whatever You Celebrate At This Time of Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christmas is all those you speak about, it's the most wonderful time of the year, often bringing out the kindest gestures and good will of the year. Most importantly it is the celebration of the birth Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know a number of non-Christians who celebrate Christmas. And like a few others mentioned already - a lot of the "Christmas" traditions precede Christmas. During winter solstice, pagans in middle Europe in pre-Christian times used to put apples, nuts, and seed cakes for the hungry animals on a tree in the woods. Some of that sound familiar? What a beautiful tradition...and what smart thinking for Christian missionaries to adopt some of the pagan traditions from that area into the Christian faith!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bravo! Well said and it's so true. More people need to start celebrating it and maybe there'd be less hate in the world, if even for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete